Oh Boo Hoo Hoo: Then Quit Dammit! | The Boneyard

Oh Boo Hoo Hoo: Then Quit Dammit!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, Rocky, stop with the caffeine-put the coffee cup down and try some OJ with the toast in the morning....Actually, in this article, I didn't see it so much as whining but in many other interviews and articles, absolutely I see a bit of that and understand why you could be a bit on edge yourself, I mean you are one of the Trinity of thread producers on all things UConn basketball so it must be exhausting this time of year with the major jump in articles out there. I am seeing kind of a parallel universe here-if you don't like seeing these types of articles, just quit! I jest of course but you do see the irony here, don't you? Just say to yourself "one day at a time, one day at a time, until Tuesday, when you can rest. :)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Last edited:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I bet it is exhausting. Coaching my sixth grade girls team was exhausting, and we played 10 games and I didn't have to recruit and we weren't expected to win and there was no media writing about us daily.
Was your pay the same as Geno's?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think he needs one of these:

$

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ok, Rocky, stop with the caffeine-put the coffee cup down and try some OJ with the toast in the morning....Actually, in this article, I didn't see it so much as whining but in many other interviews and articles, absolutely I see a bit of that and understand why you could be a bit on edge yourself, I mean you are one of the Trinity of thread producers on all things UConn basketball so it must be exhausting this time of year with the major jump in articles out there. I am seeing kind of a parallel universe here-if you don't like seeing these types of articles, just quit! I jest of course but you do see the irony here, don't you? Just say to yourself "one day at a time, one day at a time, until Tuesday, when you can rest. :)

I have been using a giganto mug of late:

71QV03tc0TL._SL1500_.jpg

Reaction Score
It's the unrelenting pressure that is so exhausting..........I don't think any of us can begin to understand what goes into being a head coach for a college basketball team never mind the most successful basketball team of all time..........the money and the prestige are wonderful but they don't make the job any less exhausting, as a matter of fact they only add to it...........let's see how Dawn handles the double responsibility of maintaining a dominant basketball program and also coaching the USA Olympic team...........the weight of high expectations is bound to tire and age you

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I bet it is exhausting. Coaching my sixth grade girls team was exhausting, and we played 10 games and I didn't have to recruit and we weren't expected to win and there was no media writing about us daily.

i feel sorry for you guys.

at least i get paid to see that.

Reaction Score
UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma says winning NCAA titles is 'exhausting'

We know it get's lost in translation and you may cry if UConn wins, but occasionally it sounds like whining.
We had a great conversation with some people from Tennessee in Albany last weekend. They got up and left at halftime of both UConn games. They were just shaking their heads just before they left on Monday. I said to one, " when we shoot like that, we're just unbeatable". The reply I got was " they are really good , but it's not good for the game ". My response was " did you say that when Tenn. was unbeatable, and winning all of the time ? " Then there was silence. I'll leave it their although I'd like to delve deeper.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's the unrelenting pressure that is so exhausting.....I don't think any of us can begin to understand what goes into being a head coach for a college basketball team never mind the most successful basketball team of all time.....the money and the prestige are wonderful but they don't make the job any less exhausting, as a matter of fact they only add to it......let's see how Dawn handles the double responsibility of maintaining a dominant basketball program and also coaching the USA Olympic team......the weight of high expectations is bound to tire and age you

Ever seen the time studies of Abe Lincoln's face?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We had a great conversation with some people from Tennessee in Albany last weekend. They got up and left at halftime of both UConn games. They were just shaking their heads just before they left on Monday. I said to one, " when we shoot like that, we're just unbeatable". The reply I got was " they are really good , but it's not good for the game ". My response was " did you say that when Tenn. was unbeatable, and winning all of the time ? " Then there was silence. I'll leave it their although I'd like to delve deeper.

I wonder if they paid for tickets? Maybe they were scouting for a coach.

Reaction Score
I think it’s just something different for him to discuss- he generally handles the same questions with thoughtfulness and patience. That remark yesterday using curling as an analogy was a bit atypical- I got what he meant but it wasn’t as smooth as usual.

Reaction Score

..............can you imagine what it must feel like to be a Volunteer fan watching a typical UConn game and compare it to what the usually see? Even in victory the concept of team play is a foreign word in Knoxville...........

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Why does he have to wait until Tuesday, he can't rest on Monday since the NC is on Sunday at 6 PM.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma says winning NCAA titles is 'exhausting'

We know it get's lost in translation and you may cry if UConn wins, but occasionally it sounds like whining.

His comments are geared to those people who criticize him for having it too easy. Those naysayers who say anyone can coach UConn because they get all the good players. The truth is that they make all their players better by holding them to standards only few coaches endeavor to meet. (Tara, MM, Vic, Walz, ...) How many coaches would have had MW playing key minutes at least by the second half of the schedule. Geno gets ripped by "fans" for being too hard on "Our " players and not letting them learn in game situations. But the expectations at UConn are not that you will play up to a standard of ability, but with a standard of effort. You must be mentally strong enough that you will not foul in the fourth quarter no matter how tired you think you feel, that you will make that cut hard and sharp and on time no matter how leaden your legs feel. When you are mentally strong enough to give the effort to continue to do all the little things, then you can play at UConn. Remember UConn coaches never promise playing time to recruits or that they will be key players. They promise that they will get better on and off the court and they will be on a team that will play for championships. And that is exhausting.

Reaction Score
He has explained it to us, what is wearing him down at this stage of the process: the unrelenting expectations people have for the program. People expect undefeated seasons and national championships. These expectations people have is what is wearing him out. He tells the story after last season, when a reverend acquaintance of his pulls up next to him and asks Geno and gestures, "What happened?" and Geno replied, "Well we went 36-1 and lost in the Final Four..."
It's not a case, like many of you guys are saying, of waa waa waa, let's cry for Geno. It's different. I'm surprised that a blog-site of UConn experts is not seeing the nuance. This kind of situation, which he continuously acknowledges that they created, has only existed to this level one other time in history, with John Wooden at UCLA. And there are many parallels there.
For his sake, I kind of wish he would retire. After this year, it would be right. Everything is at its zenith and this team is unique in that it is not led by one of these all-time greats- DT, Maya, or Stewie and the absolute model of what team basketball looks like. What Naismith envisioned when he innovatively designed this beautiful game of 5 on 5.
For the sake of the young women, I hope he continues to coach as long as he is able to positively influence their lives the way that he does.
If you ever need evidence of this influence, just observe the players. It is inspiring and frankly touching!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
As we age we usually change in ways good and bad. As Auriemma has aged I think he became an even better coach. His insatiable thirst for new and better ways of doing things translated into better efficiencies and fewer mistakes from his teams over the years.

However, he doesn't check off many of the boxes for maintaining emotional, brain and physical health as we age. He checks off two of what recent research indicates are the most important to be sure, being social and being active. He also embraces his altruism, a healthy but scarce condition in a society where we are convinced we are supposed to be self-interested. But he lives a life of high stress, low exercise and low positivity in his approach. I don't know how much he smokes, drinks or what his diet looks like, but if not atrocious I suspect these factors are not superlative either.

On the one hand he has "mellowed." That may be a euphemism for he has "tired." Meanwhile, I do think his outlook has become more negative, what Rocky perceives as "whining." Actually, I think this has become an affliction of baby boomers as a whole; I'll hold back on the theories why I think this might be so.

Frankly, I'm a little concerned. As a person who has brought me great entertainment and even joy I wish the best for him. This may get me tarred and feathered with this crowd, but I suspect the best for Auriemma is to find a less stressful, less time consuming social activity to pursue, sooner rather than later, rather than coach the program with the greatest expectations in basketball, men, women or pros.

Reaction Score
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! The day Geno quits is the beginning of the end of a dynasty.

Reaction Score
I am in total agreement with the idea of "exhausting" ..... and have long thought this.....

It takes incredible effort and management to stay on top for so long.... and fine tuning the program for optimal results.... John Wooden was a great coach.... but the 60s and early 70s were decidedly less competitive than today.... Pat Summit was an icon of the game... but WCBB is a different game now.... and much more competitive.... I am sure even LV fans would agree with this.....

And what about the evolution of the players coming up.... the coaching... or lack of it.... the social media.... the iPhones... etc.... the "me" generation.... it is so hard to sustain greatness in a team oriented environment no matter what the sport....

Salute to UConn coaching staff for leading the way in WCBB... very proud to be an alum and fan

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom