Officiating in the Post-Season | The Boneyard

Officiating in the Post-Season

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Judgment calls (fouls, who touched the ball last, etc) are tough and we as fans should not be overly critical of missed calls.

That said, is it too much to ask that officials know the rules?

Reaction Score
Judgment calls (fouls, who touched the ball last, etc) are tough and we as fans should not be overly critical of missed calls.

That said, is it too much to ask that officials know the rules?

First one, awful.
I’m missing what happened in the 2nd Louisville one?

Reaction Score
The problem with officiating is we still have entire conferences more concerned with freeze framing for whether a pivot foot moved a half-inch or legislating “but she touched it before letting the other girl in-bound!” like an HOA rule than with the on-ball flops or leaning into and exaggerating contact that turn an athletic contest into a drama competition.

Wish some programs would stop complaining that it’s no longer 1975. We’re not going back, and the sport will be better when everyone gives up this rearguard action to fight the future and starts playing basketball.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
First one, awful.
Guessing it was the player taking the ball OOB and then came back in before putting it down, or took it OOB to pass it in and then changed her mind? I'm not clear on the rules of this situation.

Reaction Score
Guessing it was the player taking the ball OOB and then came back in before putting it down, or took it OOB to pass it in and then changed her mind? I'm not clear on the rules of this situation.
That was the first clip.

Reaction Score
The problem with officiating is we still have entire conferences more concerned with freeze framing for whether a pivot foot moved a half-inch or legislating “but she touched it before letting the other girl in-bound!” like an HOA rule than with the on-ball flops or leaning into and exaggerating contact that turn an athletic contest into a drama competition.

Wish some programs would stop complaining that it’s no longer 1975. We’re not going back, and the sport will be better when everyone gives up this rearguard action to fight the future and starts playing basketball.
I wonder if the NCAA could institute a rule that would discourage hunting for fouls on offense. It could be treated in the same way as flopping. Essentially it would be up to the officiating crew to diagnose. The first time will be a verbal warning from the official followed by an offensive foul on every consequent initiated contact. Additionally it can be upgraded to a technical foul for egregious /excessive forced contact by the offender.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
First one, awful.
Not sure about that moment specifically, but he ended up losing his marbles again on a no call (which I believe the refs made the correct call on that one), and got another T which helped cement Louisville losing the game.

Reaction Score
The ACC refs aren't any better! Ask me how I know. :oops:
LOL...I had a feeling that would be the case....Oh well. A girl can dream eh? At least for us newbies the refs won't have preconceived notions about specific players (yet).

Reaction Score
The officiating can be fixed with one simple edict from the powers that be to the officials of the game: call the games tight. With a caveat.

The funny thing about the video is that the officials are already calling (or trying to call) the game tight, but for the wrong infringements. The problem, as we saw in the SEC final, is about the amount of contact, and how it is getting out of control.

So we have a "swallow the whistle" when it involves contact, but call it tight on things like a 3 second or a dragging of the pivot, etc. It should be the exact opposite. To err is human, I get it. But if you are going to err, err on the side of reducing the contact, avoiding injuries and cleaning up the game.

Misplaced focus by the officials, deteriorating the game. It is a shame.

EDIT - saw the other thread. It is not the players fault. Not even the coaches. It is all about poor officiating.

Reaction Score
But it can be improved
For that to happen, all refs have to be on the same page with how they call the game, which is tough. That consistency to call the game on both ends of the court evenly and fairly. Not saying that we can't improve. I just know that it will be a tough task to improve.

Reaction Score
If officials called games close some of your favorite players would foul out in the first half. As players get bigger and stronger the amount of physical play is going to increase. I have noticed HS officials are absolutely horrible and that has to impact how players "learn" to play for college. Play fast on offense and the defense can't play too physical, stand around and you give the slow big person the advantage.

Reaction Score
For that to happen, all refs have to be on the same page with how they call the game, which is tough. That consistency to call the game on both ends of the court evenly and fairly. Not saying that we can't improve. I just know that it will be a tough task to improve.
Very, especially with it being challenging to find people willing to do the job. Finding referees for the youth age groups is challenging enough due to various reasons, including verbal abuse from coaches and spectators. This is usually where referees get their start. This is a problem across all sports, not just basketball.

Reaction Score
Officiating will not and cannot ever be fixed. It doesn't matter what is done, there will always be people whining about officiating.
I incorrectly used the word "fixed", so 100% agree. It cannot be fixed. But let's be real. We can't fix hunger. We can't fix justice, etc. There are a lot of things we can't "fix". But trying to improve is what my post should have said. Even then, there will still be issues, I understand. That should not prevent the powers that be to try and make changes and see what works better to improve the game.

Finally, generalizing and using the word "whining" is a mischaracterization (I am not personally offended, BTW, so use it as you will). The constant complaining is not a indicator of whining, as you seem to imply, but an indicator that nothing is being done about a problem. Note that all fans "whine". IOW, if is not a fan specific issue.

IMO. NMTA (nothing more to add).

Reaction Score
Here's my rant...

What's the point of reviewing SOME unobserved fouls and not all of them? By definition there are unobserved fouls every game...and it's killing the flow of the games. And even worse...awards free timeouts to teams that have none left. Move on.

Reviews...too long. PERIOD. Set a 2 minute time limit...except for the last two minutes of the game...be generous and give them 4 minutes or else the call on the floor stands.

Eliminate fouls for hand to hand contact after the ball has left the shooters hand. Offensive players are intentionally making contact with the defense. The body...I get.

If a player is on the floor (literally) and the offensive player trips over them...eliminate the foul call on the player on the floor. It's not a violation to be on the floor. Tripping and falling over someone is not the same.

If there's a vertical plane between the offensive and defensive player...why is it only a foul when the defense violates that plane? And I'll add...too many times with no or minimal contact (phantom whistle).

Offensive players creating space with their off hand is out of control. Clean that up.

Maybe it's time for a 4th referee to sub in for one of the other three so that the refs get rest like the players. To me they get locked into calling fouls on certain players, types of offense and It becomes a comfort zone. The first time (maybe it was the 2nd?) Stanford played USC....Juju was the only player on USC that was fouled by Stanford. SO...no other USC players were fouled or were the refs just locked in on Juju?

A hop and then a stutter step on a step back shot is a TRAVEL.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Which conference has the best officials? Just wondering cuz I am not going to miss the Pac-12 refs next season. ;-)
I watched more PAC basketball this season than ever before, especially the tournament because they had so many good teams going at it. I was shocked how physical the play was. I've always thought of the PAC as a more finesse style of basketball, more pretty and free flowing. Maybe I've just been wrong all along. I certainly was this season. It was brutal at times.

I admit to being disappointed. I'm an SEC fan by virtue of my Vandy affiliation, and I see that type of basketball constantly. Can't say I really enjoy the style of play, but it seems to be spreading in P6 conferences. Luckily, I'm a secondary fan of some mid-major programs where the style of play is much less physical. I like that.

Reaction Score
I watched more PAC basketball this season than ever before, especially the tournament because they had so many good teams going at it. I was shocked how physical the play was. I've always thought of the PAC as a more finesse style of basketball, more pretty and free flowing. Maybe I've just been wrong all along. I certainly was this season. It was brutal at times.

I admit to being disappointed. I'm an SEC fan by virtue of my Vandy affiliation, and I see that type of basketball constantly. Can't say I really enjoy the style of play, but it seems to be spreading in P6 conferences. Luckily, I'm a secondary fan of some mid-major programs where the style of play is much less physical. I like that.
PAC 12 play was rough, but consistent in my opinion. Eliminated and didn't reward a lot of the over exaggeration by offensive players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom