Official "wtf were those refs doing" thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Official "wtf were those refs doing" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The refs were criminally bad, but our first half "let's not shoot in the paint offense" was worse. They acted as if the paint was infested with sharks in the first half.

Reaction Score
Part of the disparity was that we were reaching in, contesting every shot, while Memphis was not, particularly in the second half, for fear of fouling out. That said, the refs were inconsistent, letting some stuff go, then calling wtf fouls, particularly against us.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
gtown was hucking up 3's all game hence they didn't get many fouls. We were attacking the paint the last 30 min of the game tonight, which makes the discrepancy a little odd. Goodwin got a foul every time phil breathed on him

Agreed, Phil in particular was called for at least a couple of "bad breath" fouls.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Miller had fouled anyone all night? It was putrid and the NCAA should be embarrassed to let a crew like that do a game. They missed about 10 travel calls but called on on Hamilton on the high dribble that was outright wrong. It's a good thing that Memphis shoots FT's with blindfolds on or they would have undeservedly been in that game.

Reaction Score
The foul calls were clearly one sided but many of the fouls in th post were fouls according to the new rules and the refs decided to call them. The coaches need to coach that better. In the post, two hands on a players back is instant foul, even if you don't push. Thats what Nolan and Enoch were getting called for. You have to use an arm bar. I didn't see any arm bars being used. I didn't see Brimahs offensive foul but all his other fouls were fouls. Same with Miller. Miller had four fouls and tried to draw a charge. Stupid.

Reaction Score
gtown was hucking up 3's all game hence they didn't get many fouls. We were attacking the paint the last 30 min of the game tonight, which makes the discrepancy a little odd. Goodwin got a foul every time phil breathed on him

This, as I whined about the awful calls to my brother last night, I said "aside from Gtown, when was the last game that the foul count alone didn't show a disparity in the calls?" We got good calls that game but GTown did not play a style that allowed them to get to the line and that's on them, full agreement

Reaction Score
When we lose, we can't blame the refs because people on their board get on their high-horses and say THE REFS DIDN'T LOSE US THE GAME.

So since we won, I'm gonna b!tch away... that was THE WORST officiated game I've ever seen. I can't even begin to list the number of horse$h!t calls. Then at the end when the game was out of reach, they swallowed their whistle... thank god none of our guys got hurt. That was atrocious.
Exactly right about endgame... How wete there not about 5 calls made on 1 play on RP?

Reaction Score
I live down here and watched with a bunch of tigers fans. Apparently they thought the refs blew too many calls and favored uconn, ha ha ha. They should have shot 55 fts in their minds. Lmao x3. What a joke. Really satisfying how pissed everyone was. Really good cohesive effort tonight. This may be the catalyst!

I live down here too and I was at the game. In fairness most of the calls on us were legit. Way too many stupid reach ins and hands on the offensive player that are touch fouls, but still fouls. We should know better. That being said the Memphis fans were excruciating. They wanted twice as many calls on us as they got and whined like little girls if the refs dared to call one on them. One guy somewhere behind me screamed "Travel!" Just about every time we had the ball. Near the end of the game during a quiet moment someone yelled "You suck Ref!" It was awesome. I was lmao as the fans started filing out with 12:00 min. on the clock.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The foul calls were clearly one sided but many of the fouls in th post were fouls according to the new rules and the refs decided to call them. The coaches need to coach that better. In the post, two hands on a players back is instant foul, even if you don't push. Thats what Nolan and Enoch were getting called for. You have to use an arm bar. I didn't see any arm bars being used. I didn't see Brimahs offensive foul but all his other fouls were fouls. Same with Miller. Miller had four fouls and tried to draw a charge. Stupid.

Brimah's 3rd foul was 100% a clean block. It was a terrible call.

Reaction Score

Brimah's 3rd foul call where he blocked Goodwin and Goodwin came down and hurt his knee was absolutely not a foul.

Reaction Score
Brimah's 3rd foul call where he blocked Goodwin and Goodwin came down and hurt his knee was absolutely not a foul.
According to Len Elmore it was absolutely a foul, he even doubled down after seeing the replay.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Miller had four fouls and tried to draw a charge. Stupid.

Yes, but in his mind, he only had the two he actually remembered committing, not the two that were figments of the ref's imagination.

Reaction Score
The worst call I remember was I think Miller's fourth. The Memphis player jumped around Miller so he never touched him. They showed it on the Jumbotron and even the ridiculous Memphis homers had to shut up.

Reaction Score
Really? Two hands in the post? You saw that? Because it didn't happen . . .

Reaction Score
A terrible call that Elmore excused while watching the replay. "Brimah reaches in right there and gets him on the wrist".... What the #$&# are you watching, Len?

Interested to see if this is universal but I've been complaining about Len all season with my fellow UConn watchers. I used to love Len Elmore, but I think every time he's called a game of ours there's at least one awful foul call where he is clearly on the wrong side of the truth. Then they will show the replay, and he will always double down on his stupidity. I think Len is nearing his retirement from calling games

Near the end of the game where there were a number of stupid and questionable calls on us, there was one play they replayed, where Len and Mike just sat there speechless as it was a completely inexcusable call. I also definitely saw the Purvis play someone talked about above, he got hit once, then in the air under the hoop about to lay it up he gets bumped out of bounds by a defender and they call nothing.

Those guys should honestly be fired. There aren't too many professionals who can be recorded clearly doing an awful job at their job and not be suspended or just plain fired. They need to pay refs a living wage if they aren't and get some good ones in the game

Reaction Score
Near the end of the game where there were a number of stupid and questionable calls on us, there was one play they replayed, where Len and Mike just sat there speechless as it was a completely inexcusable call. I also definitely saw the Purvis play someone talked about above, he got hit once, then in the air under the hoop about to lay it up he gets bumped out of bounds by a defender and they call nothing.
It's one of the reasons I enjoy Jay Bilas. He has no problem calling out the officials when it needs to be done.

Reaction Score
The problem with the refs was not the fouls they called on us but the ones they weren't calling on Memphis. Shaq Goodwin clearing out with an arm bar all night. He committed at least 8 fouls by my count. Also, the out of bounds with 1 second to go on the shot clock and they gave the ball to Memphis(?)

Reaction Score
I'll say this again before people complain about the AAC refs. The major problem out there was John Gaffney, who is on record as being one of the few worst refs in the entire nation when it comes to piling on non-existent calls that favor the home team. This is documented statistically.

Is he an AAC ref? No, the majority of his games are Big East and Big Ten. A quick search on him shows he is a Bentley grad, '85.

Reaction Score
Refs appeared to have an agenda, and it wasn't a UConn agenda. Horrendous officiating is WAY too generous; it was just plain wrong.

Reaction Score
Not sure I've ever complained about the refs so much in a blowout win for UConn.

Those refs were criminal. Luckily Memphis isn't very good.

But seriously. Criminal.
A continuation of the Cincinnati horror. The phantom call resulting a 3 point play. Over use of the whistle has taken the game to new lows.

Reaction Score
The refs we use in this league are a clear notch below the ones we had in the Big east. They make bad calls that hurt both teams. They bigger issue is what is happening with the enforcement of the new rules that are design to open up the game. Instead its causing an enormous increase in defensive fouls and turning the games into free throw shooting contests. I'm concerned that come tournament time we are going to see some very ugly games with outcomes being determine by the refs not the players. I think the rules changes are not going to accomplish what the people had in mind on the rules committee.

Reaction Score
The refs we use in this league are a clear notch below the ones we had in the Big east. They make bad calls that hurt both teams. They bigger issue is what is happening with the enforcement of the new rules that are design to open up the game. Instead its causing an enormous increase in defensive fouls and turning the games into free throw shooting contests. I'm concerned that come tournament time we are going to see some very ugly games with outcomes being determine by the refs not the players. I think the rules changes are not going to accomplish what the people had in mind on the rules committee.

This is my perception too BUT, as I keep saying, the chief culprit yetserday, John Gaffney, is a Big East and B1G ref.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
One of the fouls they called on Nolan was when a guy leaned into him and almost grazed the edge of his elbow. The fouls they call on PN are consistently among the worst I've seen. It's like they think he's Emeka Okafor and they're trying to take away our biggest weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom