Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
coke GIF
here you go sir
Jinx

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see if this impacts Moore at all (Starling too but he wasn’t really UConn connected when he went portaging)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't understand these types of posts, nor I don't understand those who claim to be a fan of UConn athletics, yet resent programs within the athletic department. I am pretty much indifferent to cross country, or track, field hockey, and tennis, but I certainly celebrate their successes as they come across. I don't follow every program, but I see no purpose whatsoever of rooting against them?

I don't think the passion is here for football. At the Syracuse game, the school that most UCONN fans hate, the stadium was mostly empty. A third of those in attendance wore Orange.
How old is the article from where these talking point came? The first part is patently false and the second is not only unprovable, it is arguable, at best.

Official attendance for the Syracuse game was 25,114 and was one of two home games (BC) with more than 25,000 fans. UConn was 1-1 at the time and coming off a 1-11 season where no home game drew more than 19,000 and no wins vs. an FBS opponent in half a decade. Rentschler seats 40,000 and change, so 25k would objectively be mostly "full." In fact, only Liberty drew less than 20,000 last season.

It will be very hard to build a winner in the Big 10 with almost no D1 talent in your own state to recruit. Ithink UCONN should be happy being back in The Big East for hoops. Don't screw that up again for the pipe dream of D1 football.
There are counties in other states that are larger than the state of Connecticut. Yet, Connecticut produces about 18 nationally ranked football prospects/year. In 2021 4 of the top 6 and 5/10 went to Big Ten Schools and 2 committed to UConn. Last season UConn kept 4 home. 3 of the top 5 went to the Big Ten. 4 of the top 7 are going to Big Ten schools in the Fall, but sure. Let's conclude that UConn doesn't produce Big Ten quality players. :rolleyes:

Recruiting is no longer a local endeavor. Every program at every school has their pipeline areas that extended beyond their state border. Heck, there are an equal number of players on the hockey team from British Columbia (That's in Canada, roughly 3,100 miles away) as from Connecticut.

Incidentally, one (i.e. 1. single. sole.) scholarship basketball player on the team who raised the trophy last week originates from Connecticut.

Connecticut, as a state can and will support NIL to bring in 10 or 12 basketball players. It will not support 80 football players. Ad for coach salaries there are plenty of good coaches, UCONN does not to pay in the top 50 in the country to get one.
In that case, I wish Paige Bueckers luck at Illinois (Gatorade), or is it Stanford (CashApp), or Detroit Mercy (StockX)? The point is, just as recruiting is not a state limited pursuit, neither is NIL money.

Football is not solely responsible for the roughly $50 million athletic deficit, but the right deal in the right major conference can put a significant dent in it. All things being equal, I don't mind the Big East/Independence route. However all things are not equal. They rarely are.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There are counties in other states that are larger than the state of Connecticut. Yet, Connecticut produces about 18 nationally ranked football prospects/year. In 2021 4 of the top 6 and 5/10 went to Big Ten Schools and 2 committed to UConn. Last season UConn kept 4 home. 3 of the top 5 went to the Big Ten. 4 of the top 7 are going to Big Ten schools in the Fall, but sure. Let's conclude that UConn doesn't produce Big Ten quality players. :rolleyes:

Recruiting is no longer a local endeavor. Every program at every school has their pipeline areas that extended beyond their state border. Heck, there are an equal number of players on the hockey team from British Columbia (That's in Canada, roughly 3,100 miles away) as from Connecticut.
FTR, there are four counties in the US with more population than CT: Los Angeles, Cook, Harris, and Maricopa.

I went down that rabbit hole. In 2022 of the 29 top prospects in Arizona, 25 were from Maricopa County, the smallest of the four counties at 4.4 million (28% more than CT). All had offers from P5 schools, 14 had offers from B1G and SEC schools.

I'm just wondering why you led with the four county bthing as it doesnt prove any point.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
FTR, there are four counties in the US with more population than CT: Los Angeles, Cook, Harris, and Maricopa.

I went down that rabbit hole. In 2022 of the 29 top prospects in Arizona, 25 were from Maricopa County, the smallest of the four counties at 4.4 million (28% more than CT). All had offers from P5 schools, 14 had offers from B1G and SEC schools.

I'm just wondering why you led with the four county bthing as it doesnt prove any point.

Likely more. NYC has 8 million.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is saying all the other college basketball programs are going away. The point is that the best talent will be lured in with the most money. Programs with access to the best funding will be able to attract and retain the best talent. I think we're heading to 40-50 programs that will have the resources available to compete at the highest level. In football it seems pretty clear that the SEC and BiG will be the elite and you have to wonder if their basketball programs follow along.
Eh, I doubt it.

We heard this narrative after the big wave of realignment - there was a clear P5 at the time soaking up all the TV money, and all the other mid-majors would have a tough time competing. That’s certainly true in football, but none of that came to fruition in basketball.

If anything, the low majors may fall even further behind. But players can make money anywhere, and they’re more willing than ever to transfer out of big programs, which should keep the playing field level enough.

Reaction Score
CUSE is speed running their race to the bottom.I didn't expect things to get so ugly this quickly. Sometimes there is a little bump after a coaching change and positive momentum, only for reality to set in later. See PC.

Reaction Score
NIL will head to a place where fewer and fewer programs will be able to attract and retain top talent. Some of these kids are going to get very serious money and if athletic departments don't have the NIL programs in place to compete.......well.

........and yes, I understand it's not university funds supporting NIL, but given the money involved it will be those programs that are best coordinated and funded that will succeed. This is not going to be about steak dinners.
NIL is above the table, players used to get paid below the table (ie Cam Newton). It used to be different but now its the same.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

"Say you missed the point, without saying...," would have been appropriate here, but you actually do say that you missed the point.

The post to which I was responding stated that, "It will be very hard to build a winner in the Big 10 with almost no D1 talent in your own state to recruit."

I would bet that no one, not even the most ardent UConn football booster, has ever claimed that UConn can field an FBS roster (let alone fit for the Big Ten) with players solely from within the confines of the state borders of Connecticut. Arizona can. Texas can about 7 times over. Ohio can, Michigan can, and Florida can, but they are also working with a much larger pool of prospects.

The second part of the point, is that recruiting used to be local. It hasn't been for decades and Midwest Big Ten schools go fishing for Connecticut prospects annually. It's not an now-and-then occurrence.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

I had to drive through Syracuse yesterday. UGGH. What Boeheim and MacPherson and Pasqualoni did was great. Now that the field has changed, they are in trouble. And then they chased away their biggest NIL guy. Ouch.
As an aside, we chased away one of our biggest donors a few years ago over the Ollie fiasco. Thankfully Marc D'Amelio stepped in and up.

Reaction Score
Not sure why people here are so obsessed with Cuse. They’ve been so irrelevant for so long and we’re still winning championships. Don’t know why we waste time on this? I feel like this whole thread is just bad mojo. If I remember correctly Cuse fans were dancing on our graves when we were at rock bottom in the AAC. How’s that looking now? Let’s just let them sit in mediocrity. Imagine how much worse it would be for Cuse fans to realize they’re so irrelevant that even UConn doesn’t think about them anymore. I know this won’t happen, but a guy can dream, right?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Not sure why people here are so obsessed with Cuse. They’ve been so irrelevant for so long and we’re still winning championships. Don’t know why we waste time on this? I feel like this whole thread is just bad mojo. If I remember correctly Cuse fans were dancing on our graves when we were at rock bottom in the AAC. How’s that looking now? Let’s just let them sit in mediocrity. Imagine how much worse it would be for Cuse fans to realize they’re so irrelevant that even UConn doesn’t think about them anymore. I know this won’t happen, but a guy can dream, right?
aun contraire, mon frere this thread is the ultimate mojo. It was started at beginning of the season en Novembre and we crapped on them all the way to a title en Avril

Reaction Score
Sing along with me, @Hurleyman216 !!!!!!

Reaction Score
Cuse is an nonfactor. Has been for a while. I don't need to see it on the boneyard anymore, until they're more relevant at least.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Syracuse will almost assuredly right the ship with a good hire, whether it's the new guy or his successor.

The thing that puts a smile on my face is that for all of their bluster, they know deep down were better than them and it's inarguable. Tough pill to swallow after having a head start and being tied in titles 20 years ago.

5 > 1

Reaction Score
Cuse is an nonfactor. Has been for a while. I don't need to see it on the boneyard anymore, until they're more relevant at least.
The way the program left us, and the way that fan base continued to disrespect us and kick us while we were down, even despite 4>1, will always make me interested in lapping up that fan base’s tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom