Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
1D19B403-9C2F-4AE8-ADF6-C4FF436ABCE4.jpeg

Reaction Score
Our attendance and fan support was the same here as anywhere else before the AD took a bat to it's knees. 35-40k in the stands was normal for even a half decent D1 opponent. It would have grown by more if not for the worst possible downward spiral anyone could have imagined.

During the last years of Ollie, and the first of DH, the basketball attendance/fan support were terrible. We saw record low attendance. It was a pretty common topic here on the BY. It can happen to anyone who isn't at least competitive. It has nothing to do with people in CT just not caring for football.

The program won (iirc) 11 games over the 5 years before the 22 season. LSU fans wouldn't have showed under those circumstances either. And it wasn't just the lack of wins... it was the way it happened. Most games it looked like they couldnt get a snap off. It was like 3 year olds playing against the baltimore ravens. It wasnt just losses, it was losses to terrible teams by 35 points. No program could have survived that without taking a huge hit in support.

All they need to do is win a few games for a couple years in a row. Just be competent for a couple years, and it will be similar to before. We are not unique here. We will support our teams more when they win than when they lose...and almost none when they are the worst team in the country by a large margin (which we were).
Good post with good points.

Reaction Score
Well they just lost Edwards to the portal because they wouldn’t pay up in NIL. Seems they were blindsided as they had talked themselves into Edwards, Mintz, and Starling being the core to some epic rebuild. Hate to see It.

NIL will head to a place where fewer and fewer programs will be able to attract and retain top talent. Some of these kids are going to get very serious money and if athletic departments don't have the NIL programs in place to compete.......well.

........and yes, I understand it's not university funds supporting NIL, but given the money involved it will be those programs that are best coordinated and funded that will succeed. This is not going to be about steak dinners.

Reaction Score
Well they just lost Edwards to the portal because they wouldn’t pay up in NIL. Seems they were blindsided as they had talked themselves into Edwards, Mintz, and Starling being the core to some epic rebuild. Hate to see It.

I was under the impression from Case fans that Edwards was either staying or going pro. What a nut shot and you absolutely hate to see it.

Where is daddy Weitsman?

Reaction Score
NIL will head to a place where fewer and fewer programs will be able to attract and retain top talent. Some of these kids are going to get very serious money and if athletic departments don't have the NIL programs in place to compete.......well.

........and yes, I understand it's not university funds supporting NIL, but given the money involved it will be those programs that are best coordinated and funded that will succeed. This is not going to be about steak dinners.
I keep seeing people saying this and I just don't get it. If fewer and fewer programs can afford the top talent due to NIL where are the kids gonna go? Basketball scholarships are a finite number, there is a limit to how many kids Kentucky and Duke can offer absorbent amounts of money to.

If there's only 10 schools that can "afford" these new NIL players, then that's 130 players. And schools 11-25 are not getting priced out on the top talent anymore because the market has now dictated that their NIL price is not above those schools range

Reaction Score
I was under the impression from Case fans that Edwards was either staying or going pro. What a nut shot and you absolutely hate to see it.

Where is daddy Weitsman?
NIL’ing a middle-of-the-pack America East program at Binghamton, much closer to his hometown of Owego. Loving it as a Binghamton grad and a Univ of Southern Canada schadenfreudist.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing people saying this and I just don't get it. If fewer and fewer programs can afford the top talent due to NIL where are the kids gonna go? Basketball scholarships are a finite number, there is a limit to how many kids Kentucky and Duke can offer absorbent amounts of money to.

If there's only 10 schools that can "afford" these new NIL players, then that's 130 players. And schools 11-25 are not getting priced out on the top talent anymore because the market has now dictated that their NIL price is not above those schools range
Precisely….and how many schools have ever won a Chip with talent ranked solely 130+.

My guess is zero

If you don’t have at least a decent NIL program to get a few top 30+ kids u r screwed

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I don't think the passion is here for football. At the Syracuse game, the school that most UCONN fans hate, the stadium was mostly empty. A third of those in attendance wore Orange. It will be very hard to build a winner in the Big 10 with almost no D1 talent in your own state to recruit. Ithink UCONN should be happy being back in The Big East for hoops. Don't screw that up again for the pipe dream of D1 football. Connecticut, as a state can and will support NIL to bring in 10 or 12 basketball players. It will not support 80 football players. Ad for coach salaries there are plenty of good coaches, UCONN does not to pay in the top 50 in the country to get one.
Settle down Greg. UCONN fans like winners and will show when UCONN football starts winning again. The same pattern applies to all other UCONN sports. They win, fans attend.

Reaction Score

And it’s a resource allocation question. A starter at a second tier program may be worth more to that program than that same player as a bench piece at a top program.

Reaction Score
NIL’ing a middle-of-the-pack America East program at Binghamton, much closer to his hometown of Owego. Loving it as a Binghamton grad and a Univ of Southern Canada schadenfreudist.

No *. That is delightful. Nothing like a kick to the balls to wake up.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
The Syracuse fan base falling off the cliff right now is poetic justice as they left us for dead just a few years ago. UConn football is not in the best spot being independent money-wise, but scheduling is so much better than AAC.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
How Jesse earns is going to be touchy too. I think he’s Dutch

The prevailing thought there was because they canceled their trip to Isreal and don't play out of the country, they now can't receive NIL money. I am not sure how much of that is true, but I have read it in a few places. Other teams play outside the country so they can skirt the international player rules.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Precisely….and how many schools have ever won a Chip with talent ranked solely 130+.

My guess is zero

If you don’t have at least a decent NIL program to get a few top 30+ kids u r screwed
Not to step on @auror ’s toes here but you have to divide 130 by the 4 recruiting classes available to a team at any given time

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn football is not in the best spot being independent money-wise, but scheduling is so much better than AAC.
Jim Mora knocked it out of the park last year in terms of first year performance. If he keeps that up this year, attendance is going to increase dramatically. Baby steps.

Reaction Score

I don't think anyone is saying all the other college basketball programs are going away. The point is that the best talent will be lured in with the most money. Programs with access to the best funding will be able to attract and retain the best talent. I think we're heading to 40-50 programs that will have the resources available to compete at the highest level. In football it seems pretty clear that the SEC and BiG will be the elite and you have to wonder if their basketball programs follow along.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is saying all the other college basketball programs are going away. The point is that the best talent will be lured in with the most money. Programs with access to the best funding will be able to attract and retain the best talent. I think we're heading to 40-50 programs that will have the resources available to compete at the highest level. In football it seems pretty clear that the SEC and BiG will be the elite and you have to wonder if their basketball programs follow along.
I guess I agree with the idea of there being 40-50 programs that can attract the best talent. But that's certainly not unique to NIL. That's been the case for decades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom