Official First Night Observations and Analysis Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Official First Night Observations and Analysis Thread

Reaction Score
So no one was actually in house from the yard and saw anything? Great night.

Reaction Score
All of the above just reinforces Chief’s personal
position on First Night, although I fully support the Casual Fans who have a different perspective and love it.
As a business person what’s amazing to me is that Gampel did not have a Plan B, a basket in reserve that could be operational within minutes. Other than graduations and a few other events it is basically a one purpose building = Basketball. Given that it’s even more appalling it failed at its core function.

Reaction Score
position on First Night, although I fully support the Casual Fans who have a different perspective and love it.
As a business person what’s amazing to me is that Gampel did not have a Plan B, a basket in reserve that could be operational within minutes. Other than graduations and a few other events it is basically a one purpose building = Basketball. Given that it’s even more appalling it failed at its core function.
Husky99 finally agrees with casual @Chief00

Reaction Score
Other than graduations and a few other events it is basically a one purpose building = Basketball. Given that it’s even more appalling it failed at its core function.
This is simply not true. UConn volleyball plays almost as many home games as men’s and women’s basketball combined and practices regularly on the court. The hoops come down and go back up every time they do. Even the most casual fan should know that.

Reaction Score
This is simply not true. UConn volleyball plays almost as many home games as men’s and women’s basketball combined and practices regularly on the court. The hoops come down and go back up every time they do. Even the most casual fan should know that.
You need to read my comments again. Practices are not events.
True, women’s basketball plays maybe up to 10 games at Gampel. Women’s volleyball wraps up their home slate of games on 11/19, just as the basketball season starts.
What Planet do you live on? There are hundreds of buildings in the country busier than Gampel with events. Supporting this level of incompetence is interesting. Just curious, without being too specific - what do you do for a living? If you screwed up this much, where the business had to turn away many thousand customers, would you still have a job?

Last edited:
Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
Hahaha concerts also
The IQ level on this board has hit an all time low. I acknowledged “other events” in my post. How many concerts are in Gampel each year on average? Let’s remember the men and women play half their games at XL, so we are talking 16-18 home basketball games or the same as one team that doesn’t play in two buildings.
OMG what do other buildings do that are actually busy with events? How can they be successful? Competence and accountability?

Reaction Score
Think you may be taking a too limited view of first night Chief.

Although we casual fans enjoy it, I'm not sure that's the whole of it. Don't you think the players (especially the freshmen) enjoy taking a break from the caldron to put on a little show, and get cheered by thousands of people? (who wouldn't like that, and wouldn't that be good for team morale?)

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Who ever is working in the editing dependent needs a raise! Social media clips show great energy and marketing for our programs. That one tweet had to be more exciting that PC's event.

Perception is reality.

Reaction Score
Think you may be taking a too limited view of first night Chief.

Although we casual fans enjoy it, I'm not sure that's the whole of it. Don't you think the players (especially the freshmen) enjoy taking a break from the caldron to put on a little show, and get cheered by thousands of people? (who wouldn't like that, and wouldn't that be good for team morale?)
Fair point - It was true the players enjoyed First Night more than Jim’s first day of practice at Guyer Gym. LOL - By a lot.
In recent years, practices are on a different schedule, so they start before First Night. Of course, leaving the court without scrimmaging this year due to basket issues - I don’t see how that adds to the enjoyment? But, to each his own. Chief, has supported and encouraged anyone who enjoys it. I don’t know what more I can do?

Reaction Score
The IQ level on this board has hit an all time low. I acknowledged “other events” in my post. How many concerts are in Gampel each year on average? Let’s remember the men and women play half their games at XL, so we are talking 16-18 home basketball games or the same as one team that doesn’t play in two buildings.
OMG what do other buildings do that are actually busy with events? How can they be successful? Competence and accountability?

Volleyball has 20 home games.. seems like that could be defined as events.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Volleyball has 20 home games.. seems like that could be defined as events
Again, the only event overlap between volleyball and basketball seasons is First Night and games during one to two weeks in early/mid November.

As both Danny and Chief have said - UConn fancies itself as a “”Great basketball school” - we should have baskets that work in a building in which basketball, is in business terms, the primary critical success factor.

As Chief has emphasized, as someone who has attended the VB games as a donor and enjoyed them, women’s volleyball games don’t have a big footprint and the season largely doesn’t overlap with the men’s BB - so stop being misogynistic and blaming the women.

Facilities Management dropped the ball and we need to fix it. If the current staff can’t handled that, Chief suggests we find someone who can handle it.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well I’m sure the casual volley ball fans do.

Reaction Score
So no one was actually in house from the yard and saw anything? Great night.
I'm a student and I was there. Everyone was buzzing with energy... Every single available seat (besides the reserved seating) was filled. The begging hype-up part of it got the entire place to be loud and excited. It was amazing. And then once it actually started, it just kept going further and further downhill. Once the women did their scrimmage, hundreds and hundreds of fans began to leave when they realized the other hoop was given up on. It went from 100mph and limitless excitement, to 1mph and everyone giving up. It was embarrassing and felt unprofessional. I could feel the energy from everyone, they were all so excited just for a taste of in-person UConn basketball. I need an open practice; the season can't come soon enough

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom