Official BS Return Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Official BS Return Thread

Reaction Score
This is great from a leadership standpoint whether BS starts or not. Anyone who hates the fact that BS is returning is an idiot.

Reaction Score
If you go back to the first 4-5 games or so, BS was pretty good and carried the team on his back a couple times. I think the ribs drastically diminished his ability.

He will be around better coaching, hopefully a better oline and rbs.

Reaction Score
I think it's Pindell's job to lose like others have speculated, but competition never hurts and BS can be a solid backup

This is great from a leadership standpoint whether BS starts or not. Anyone who hates the fact that BS is returning is an idiot.

Reaction Score
If you go back to the first 4-5 games or so, BS was pretty good and carried the team on his back a couple times. I think the ribs drastically diminished his ability.
The first 4 games he averaged 200 yards a game, threw 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions total, and one int was a pick six. In four games he threw for a net 1 score. I am not saying it was his fault, but it certainly was not some fantastic performance when he wasn't hurt. I do believe it was the horrible coaching in the end though.

Reaction Score
Don't covet in the Virginia game he scored on a run as the play clock was running out in one of the many botched efforts to get the play in. My impression was he finally just called a play rather than take a penalty.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
BS has been a good player and he has always represented the university with class. From a football stand point, he sets the baseline. We know what we have in BS. Hopefully someone will come in and show a lot more.
Why not BS himself? I can see his having more confidence in his coaching staff leading to some nice improvement.

Reaction Score
At the risk of starting a new thread and having folks regurgitating all the above, I'll just leave this here: Edsall Has Five QBs And One Ball, But Plenty Of Time To Select UConn's Starter. draw your own conclusions:

>>So Edsall has five options and a lot to figure out in the coming months. He learned as much as he could about McAfee, Washington and Pindell while recruiting them over the past month. Spring football, which starts March 21 and ends with the Blue-White Game in late April, will allow him to get to know and analyze Williams and Shirreffs. Edsall will work with offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee in trying to identify the quarterback who deserves to start Aug. 31 against Holy Cross.

"It's a matter of who is the guy who can move the team and score points, make plays," Edsall said. "As we watched film, I felt we needed to go get some guys who had the ability to make some plays. All three of these [incoming] guys, in this day and age, you have to have guys with the mobility to move around back there. If something breaks down, you have to have the ability to use your feet to make a play. That's one thing all three of those young men have, but they also have the ability to throw the football. They're not one dimensional."<<

>>Each player has reason to be optimistic, but there's also no need for five quarterbacks (six counting Brandon Bisack, last year's third-stringer). Upgrading the talent at quarterback, Edsall said, was a recruiting priority. Pindell and Washington, who was previously committed to Central Florida, were late additions. McAfee led Everett to the Massachusetts Division I Super Bowl title as a senior.<<

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
At the risk of starting a new thread and having folks regurgitating all the above, I'll just leave this here: Edsall Has Five QBs And One Ball, But Plenty Of Time To Select UConn's Starter. draw your own conclusions:

>>So Edsall has five options and a lot to figure out in the coming months. He learned as much as he could about McAfee, Washington and Pindell while recruiting them over the past month. Spring football, which starts March 21 and ends with the Blue-White Game in late April, will allow him to get to know and analyze Williams and Shirreffs. Edsall will work with offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee in trying to identify the quarterback who deserves to start Aug. 31 against Holy Cross.

"It's a matter of who is the guy who can move the team and score points, make plays," Edsall said. "As we watched film, I felt we needed to go get some guys who had the ability to make some plays. All three of these [incoming] guys, in this day and age, you have to have guys with the mobility to move around back there. If something breaks down, you have to have the ability to use your feet to make a play. That's one thing all three of those young men have, but they also have the ability to throw the football. They're not one dimensional."<<

>>Each player has reason to be optimistic, but there's also no need for five quarterbacks (six counting Brandon Bisack, last year's third-stringer). Upgrading the talent at quarterback, Edsall said, was a recruiting priority. Pindell and Washington, who was previously committed to Central Florida, were late additions. McAfee led Everett to the Massachusetts Division I Super Bowl title as a senior.<<

Edsel has five balls and no quarterbacks.

Reaction Score
No, I think Pindell for this year and then let McAfee and Washington redshirt and battle by soph year if Pindell is a starter for 2

BS backup this year and Williams next

Edsel has five balls and no quarterbacks.

Reaction Score
Frazer, Endres, Cochran all better than both and arguably BS is the 2nd worst starter besides Boyle since Dan-O with at least 5 starts

Of all the ridiculous, outrageous and nasty things that you post, that is probably the stupidest. Frazer got himself not just benched, but buried so deeply that Michael Box was given the job in '10 before getting concussed. Endres -- you can make a case he was better, but much fewer games and he was twice given the reigns and unable to keep himself on the field. Cochran -- nice little run, but it was four games at the end of the season. And both BS and Tyler are light years ahead of what we saw from Bones and DJ, and poor Whitmer. Not to mention that, in BS's case, he played with OLs so far inferior to what all the other QBs had (except Whitmer) that the fact that his numbers don't lag behind everyone elses is truly remarkable.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
National Championship Run? Are you kidding? UConn will never get past Alabama or Clemson in the first round of playoffs!

SMFH

Reaction Score
Lets not all freak out if BS is named the starter, its best man for the job. Wish we had Pindell here for the spring.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Of all the ridiculous, outrageous and nasty things that you post, that is probably the stupidest. Frazer got himself not just benched, but buried so deeply that Michael Box was given the job in '10 before getting concussed. Endres -- you can make a case he was better, but much fewer games and he was twice given the reigns and unable to keep himself on the field. Cochran -- nice little run, but it was four games at the end of the season. And both BS and Tyler are light years ahead of what we saw from Bones and DJ, and poor Whitmer. Not to mention that, in BS's case, he played with OLs so far inferior to what all the other QBs had (except Whitmer) that the fact that his numbers don't lag behind everyone elses is truly remarkable.

Thank you for saying what I have been thinking and was ready to post myself

My hope is that this group can be the best group of quarterbacks since going to 1-A

Reaction Score
Thank you for saying what I have been thinking and was ready to post myself

My hope is that this group can be the best group of quarterbacks since going to 1-A

There's hope. As long as we can keep guys from transferring and evaluate/develop the right guys we should be ok for a little while.

Reaction Score
Your cheerleading for BS is incredulous. He is not good. He can't run and can't throw accurately past 10 yards. His stats are hugely inflated by throwing dumps to Thomas and having him rack up large YAC.

He's also playing against awful AAC teams, other guys played against Big East teams.

I think it's fine he's back competing for the job, but if he wins it it means this team will blow again this season. I would take Whitmer in a second over BS and I thought Whitmer was terrible.

Reaction Score
Noel Thomas was 22nd in the country in total receiving yards. He averaged 11.79 yards per catch (YAC wasn't available)

Receiving Yards | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

Here is the yards per catch for the top 21 receivers in the country (ranked by total receiving yards)

1) Trent Taylor 13.25 ypc
2) Zay Jones 11.05
3) Taywan Taylor 17.65
4) Richie James 15.47
5) Carlos Henderson 18.72
6) Dede Westbrook 19.05
7) Corey Davis 15.46
8) Amba Etta-Tawo 15.77
9) Anthony Miller 15.09
10) James Washington 19.43
11) Mike Williams 13.89
12) Tanner Gentry 18.42
13) Nicholas Norris 17.34
14-T) Michael Gallup 16.74
14-T) Thomas Sperbeck 15.9
16) Cody Thompson 19.83
17) Chad Hansen 13.58
18) Austin Carr 13.85
19) Courtland Sutton 16.39
20) KD Cannon 13.97
21) Keevan Lucas 14.57
22) Noel Thomas 11.79

There was only one person with fewer yards per catch.
Mean: 15.78

Not only are his YPC at the bottom, he and Jones (who had 158 receptions, or 13/game) are the only two under 12. They are the outliers at the bottom. Take away the top two, Washington & Johnson over 19 each, and bottom two, Jones & Thomas (under 12 each) and the results don't change much.
Mean: 15.84

How does someone who averages near the bottom of the top receivers (by yards) have a YAC number that greatly inflates a QBs stats? (rhetorical question, it doesn't).

Need more? Okay.

Passing Yards per Completion | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com
Shirreffs: 166 completions, 2010 yards = 12.11 yards per completion.
Thomas averaged 11.79 YPC.

Shirreffs' 66 other completions went for 831 yards, or 12.59 YPC.

So as good as Noel Thomas is, his YPC brought Shirreffs' numbers down. So how does Thomas' YAC inflate Shirreffs' numbers? (rhetorical, it doesn't).

FYI, by definition YAC is included in YPC, this isn't an apples:eek:ranges comparison.

What's scary is how ineffective the offense would have been without Noel Thomas, but that's the result of poor OL play, a mediocre rushing attack, mediocre QB play, and a terrible coaching staff. Shirreffs' numbers statistically aren't that bad considering how terrible the entire offense performed.

63rd in Yards Per Completion (middle of the stats)
55th in Yards Per Game (middle of the stats)
81st in efficiency (bottom third, Richard Lagow was 69th)

The NC State FB outperformed plenty of other D1 QBs while playing through injuries, with little run support, ineffective blocking, and some of the worst coaching in the country.

I expect Pindell to win the job, but if he had any help beyond Noel Thomas, we would have seen a much better QB.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Your cheerleading for BS is incredulous. He is not good. He can't run and can't throw accurately past 10 yards. His stats are hugely inflated by throwing dumps to Thomas and having him rack up large YAC.

He's also playing against awful AAC teams, other guys played against Big East teams.

I think it's fine he's back competing for the job, but if he wins it it means this team will blow again this season. I would take Whitmer in a second over BS and I thought Whitmer was terrible.
It may not be original, but you are still an .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom