Official BS Return Thread | The Boneyard

Official BS Return Thread

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Competition is good for UConn and good for the position as a whole.

I for one am glad he is coming back and fits the mold of former UConn quarterback Tyler Lorenzen, which wasn't a bad thing under HCRE

Reaction Score
I think it's great Sherrifs is returning. He's a trooper and I think fits into the type of player Edsall loves. I think it gives the opportunity for all the QB'S coming in to redshirt and really learn the system setting up our national championship run next year. I have to be realistic and only see us getting a NY6 bowl this year.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I opened this thread prepared to argue that the bs never left (nor would I want it to). But this is good news.

Reaction Score
Powerhouse P5 Iowa State wanted to convert Lorenzen to TE

Competition is good for UConn and good for the position as a whole.

I for one am glad he is coming back and fits the mold of former UConn quarterback Tyler Lorenzen, which wasn't a bad thing under HCRE

Reaction Score
I think it's great Sherrifs is returning. He's a trooper and I think fits into the type of player Edsall loves. I think it gives the opportunity for all the QB'S coming in to redshirt and really learn the system setting up our national championship run next year. I have to be realistic and only see us getting a NY6 bowl this year.
National Championship Run? Are you kidding? UConn will never get past Alabama or Clemson in the first round of playoffs!

Reaction Score
Honestly, woulda been nice if Pindell could've enrolled this Spring... would've made the competition even better before Summer.. would've also give kids time to make a potential decision to either stay with the program or move on...

Reaction Score
Powerhouse P5 Iowa State wanted to convert Lorenzen to TE

Further proof that you shouldn't use the decisions of coaching staffs that have no idea what they are doing to justify your opinion.

Reaction Score
Yes, he converted back to TE and spent a year on the Saints practice squad I think. You wonder if that extra time matters or not, look at a guy like Hogan on the Pats, never even played college football

To be fair, he did end up playing TE in the league...

Reaction Score
If the argument is that we'd like to recruit better QBs than Lorenzen and Shirreffs, well no .

However, the fact Lorenzen played TE in the NFL for a split second is irrelevant. One doesn't need to be an NFL caliber QB, or even a BIG or ACC caliber QB, to be a decent QB at UConn.

Those two are the best QBs we've had after Dan O. And unless there was someone else riding the pine who should have played, didn't, transferred out, and played well at a comparative level (and there isn't), then all you're doing is whining and moaning about the best options we had at the time.

Nobody is saying they're great QBs, and it's the fault of the coaching staff that we didn't have better options. Put the blame on the coaches for failing to recruit and develop QBs, but constantly bringing up the fact they weren't good enough to play QB at a level that's higher than UConn isn't only faulty logic, it's in poor taste.

Reaction Score
Frazer, Endres, Cochran all better than both and arguably BS is the 2nd worst starter besides Boyle since Dan-O with at least 5 starts

If the argument is that we'd like to recruit better QBs than Lorenzen and Shirreffs, well no .

However, the fact Lorenzen played TE in the NFL for a split second is irrelevant. One doesn't need to be an NFL caliber QB, or even a BIG or ACC caliber QB, to be a decent QB at UConn.

Those two are the best QBs we've had after Dan O. And unless there was someone else riding the pine who should have played, didn't, transferred out, and played well at a comparative level (and there isn't), then all you're doing is whining and moaning about the best options we had at the time.

Nobody is saying they're great QBs, and it's the fault of the coaching staff that we didn't have better options. Put the blame on the coaches for failing to recruit and develop QBs, but constantly bringing up the fact they weren't good enough to play QB at a level that's higher than UConn isn't only faulty logic, it's in poor taste.

Reaction Score
Frazer, Endres, Cochran all better than both and arguably BS is the 2nd worst starter besides Boyle since Dan-O with at least 5 starts
That's a pretty tough comparison to make. The O-line those guys played behind was incomparably better than the one that BS has had to play behind. Even with that, BS' stats compare favorably to Frazer.

Reaction Score
Really wanted to see Endres rise to his full potential. Hope he's doing well.

Reaction Score

Two of the most important traits for evaluating a football player is ability to stay on the field and production over time. Thus, Endres and Cochran may have had more potential to be good QBs at UConn, but they hardly played which means Shirreffs has been a better QB at UConn.

Reaction Score

I agree on Endres and Cochran for sure, as for Frazer, its close. However, Bryant was badly hurt this year and we had absolutely no clue on offense. Don't underestimate just how bad Bob Diaco and Co. were. They were the worst staff in the entire country, bar none. They literally might be the worst staff in college football history in terms of playing football. They ran an admirable program in terms of ethics, but they were putrid in terms of coaching football. Healthy and with a competent line/staff, I think BS is likely a lot better than you think.

Reaction Score
Cochran retired, so no, he wasn't an option.
Endres couldn't stop smoking weed, so he kept himself off the field.
Frazer, toss up. Can definitely make a case for him. That said, he had the benefit of a good OL and Jordan Todman to take the pressure off. Put BS on that same team, and I think he beats out Frazer. But it's close.

That said, none of those guys have been options the last two y ears, nor will they ever be options again.

Reaction Score
I think BS is slow-footed and lacks accuracy beyond 10 yards

I think statistically he gets helped out a lot from Thomas' YAC

Generally speaking the QB position hasn't been a strong point at UConn over the last 10+ years, very spotty and inconsistent

I agree on Endres and Cochran for sure, as for Frazer, its close. However, Bryant was badly hurt this year and we had absolutely no clue on offense. Don't underestimate just how bad Bob Diaco and Co. were. They were the worst staff in the entire country, bar none. They literally might be the worst staff in college football history in terms of playing football. They ran an admirable program in terms of ethics, but they were putrid in terms of coaching football. Healthy and with a competent line/staff, I think BS is likely a lot better than you think.

Reaction Score
I think BS is slow-footed and lacks accuracy beyond 10 yards

I think statistically he gets helped out a lot from Thomas' YAC

Generally speaking the QB position hasn't been a strong point at UConn over the last 10+ years, very spotty and inconsistent

If you go back to the first 4-5 games or so, BS was pretty good and carried the team on his back a couple times. I think the ribs drastically diminished his ability.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom