Offensive rebounding | The Boneyard

Offensive rebounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have given up 20 and 20+ offensive rebounds in the last two outings. To be fair, when teams shoot 28% against you, they have the opportunity to collect a lot of offensive rebounds. But those numbers seem pretty high with with the size we put in the frontcourt.

Calhoun was not pleased, he said.--I think our kids are accepting box outs. They're just allowing themselves to be boxed out. I told them we should cancel weight training for the rest of the year because it's not doing us any good. If we get boxed, we stay boxed. And that's unusual. Everybody's been telling them we have a good frontcourt. Really? We've just given up 42 offensive rebounds in two games. I don't think that's very good.

My guess is that once Drummond gets into a groove the problem will diminish. And per usual, this is exactly what Calhoun wants. Now, he can really apply the pressure and get things done his way.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I'm sure practice is a joy right now ...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm sure practice is a joy right now ...
LOL. This is a problem. Felt it was a problem last season as well. TO has made significant improvements. RS was good last season.

AD is certainly tentative. Getting whacked in the mask two times in three games isn't helping matters.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest.

Who, during game one, saw how Alex Oriahki was playing and said: "Well, it looks like it's going to be another year of overblown hype." ?

Reaction Score
We're such spoiled ninnies. Is there a river in here? Because we're all crying.
Alex Oriakhi is Alex Oriakhi.
It seems like we go through this every year. Why do we do this to ourselves?
Some guys get better every year. Let's say. Kemba Walker. Let's say. Hilton Armstrong. Let's say Lamb and Olander. Some guys come in awesome and stay awesome, getting a bigger role each year. Let's say. Ray Allen. Let's say Donyell Marshall. Some guys come in and add small increments to their game each year, essentially leaving as a polished version of the player they were when they entered. Let's say. Gavin Edwards. Let's say. Lyman DePriest. Let's say DysonStan. We had at least one guy who seemed to go backwards his last year [unnamed].
We maintain this conception that every player should get substantially better every year, and then, when they don't we're disappointed. Noted improvement each year is the exception, not the norm. Jeremy Lamb's improvement is a wonderful thing, but it's not a common thing at all.

Here's some conjecture. Alex Oriakhi is substantially the same player he was on April 4th of this year when he was the only guy to shoot above 50% against Butler and went 5 of 6 from the floor. He had 11 boards and 4 blocks and hit his one free throw while only committing two fouls. He did this in 25 minutes. That is a game that most guys who have every played would be happy to post in the NC game.

Yet we hold dear the premise that, notwithstanding that fine performance, the guy should have, in 7 months, developed such and such post moves and so on.

Fact is, Oriakhi is an awkward post offender. That's just what it is. When he gets the ball in the post and makes his move, it's like watching a lobster trying to use a ball point pen. It's ugly. I guess that, if we're fortunate to have him around in a year or two, he won't be substantially different. A bit more polish. A better jumper. And so on. But he's likely never going to have that back-to-the basket smoothness that we saw Okafor develop in his 3rd year.

So, for my part, I'm extremely happy Oriakhi is a Husky, and if he never gets substantially better, I'm not going to be disappointed or otherwise believe that he was oversold to us during the summer.

He is what he is.

I'll add, in closing, that Roscoe is the same way. In the end, I think Oriakhi and Smith will probably be viewed in UConn Lore as two guys who had athleticism and size and brought it to bear, while neither saw remarkable strides in his game while at UConn. I'd love to be wrong, obviously, but I'm completely fine with it if I'm not; for I like them just the way they are.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In the end, I think Oriakhi and Smith will probably be viewed in UConn Lore as two guys who had athleticism and size and brought it to bear, while neither saw remarkable strides in his game while at UConn. I'd love to be wrong, obviously, but I'm completely fine with it if I'm not; for I like them just the way they are.

I really am stunned that folks are giving more weight to the Columbia game than the Final Four. AO has already made remarkable strides in his game. OTOH, I think Roscoe needs a new goal. Perhaps he should work at being the next Marcus White. A relentless, rebounding machine.

Reaction Score
"...spoiled ninnies." or just reality of higher expectations? I mean anyone who did throw those numbers up in the National Championship game then worked his tail off to hone his skills in the offseason and then throws a 2pt 5 board stinker up can't be questioned?

Hey I get it - way too early to hammer on anyone including AD and Alex. But one was in his first collegiate game with a mask on and the other shouldn't have those kind of games his junior year vs. Columbia. It really is that simple!!! Not even concerned on the points because I guess he'll always be a bit "awkward" despite working at it. His continued need to go to his left is still there and most often than not it's a throw. But 5 rebounds with his size and athletic ability vs Columbia.....only means you didn't work hard enough!

Reaction Score
Columbia took over 100 shots in that game and missed most of them. There were a lot of rebounds to go around.

Reaction Score
"...spoiled ninnies." or just reality of higher expectations? I mean anyone who did throw those numbers up in the National Championship game then worked his tail off to hone his skills in the offseason and then throws a 2pt 5 board stinker up can't be questioned?

Hey I get it - way too early to hammer on anyone including AD and Alex. But one was in his first collegiate game with a mask on and the other shouldn't have those kind of games his junior year vs. Columbia. It really is that simple!!! Not even concerned on the points because I guess he'll always be a bit "awkward" despite working at it. His continued need to go to his left is still there and most often than not it's a throw. But 5 rebounds with his size and athletic ability vs Columbia.....only means you didn't work hard enough!

It's never been too early to hammer on Alex. He has hardly lived up to the hype, yet he still gets his supporters because of his occasional good game. The kid has had two years of experience and has been hyped beyond the point where he was "supposed" to be drafted last year pre-season. He has an occasional good game or two - but the fact is, he's got the ability to be GREAT. He's rebounding has always been an incredible sore spot for him. He needs to master the boards. And he's showed us he can - and against great opponents. Yet, how many times will we play the cupcakes we do in our early schedule - where we clearly are much larger than they are - and simply just flounder.

Alex typically brings his best against the best opponents - see Maui last year. The problem is - he's got to bring it every game.

And whatever these "strides" he's made in his game - I have yet to see them. AO is essentially the same player since he came to UConn. People need to stop focusing on his few dominant games and demand more consistency out of him. (And for the record, barely averaging a double-double is not what I want to see in these games where he clearly outmatches his opponents).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's never been too early to hammer on Alex. He has hardly lived up to the hype, yet he still gets his supporters because of his occasional good game.

Or the occaisional good Final Four. That's some pretty good hatin' you got goin' on there, NH.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Alex is inconsistent. The longer we experience this in his play the more likely it won't change.

Last year, for the most part, he came through when it mattered the most. Maybe he's one of those guys that gets going when the stakes are high. Or maybe we were just lucky last season.

Should we be concerned this season. Stay tuned.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Last year, for the most part, he came through when it mattered the most. Maybe he's one of those guys that gets going when the stakes are high.

I think you hit the nail on the head. When did he perform at his best? Generally, against a tough opponent. 17 rebounds against MSU, 11 and 10 against Kentucky, 21 against Texas, 11 in the National Championship game ... you get the idea. Sure, there were games where he disappeared and it hurt the team. Outside of Kemba last year, I'd argue that the team's success was largely dependent on Alex's performance. It's going to be doubly important that he becomes more consistent this year ...

Reaction Score
Why don't we wait a few games before we declare AO is not getting better at UCONN. I mean he did get better last year and I agree without him we do not even sniff the FF.
Could we be ranked too high at #4 right now after watching our first game? Maybe- but I am willing to bet that AD and AO will have a chip on their should Monday night. If several more games go down the way the first one did then we can start worrying- I really think they will get it together.

Reaction Score
Oriakhi averaged 8.7 rebounds last year, which was second in the Big East. He is the top returning rebounder in the conference.

One off game with only 5 rebounds doesn't concern me in the least. He will be putting up double digit rebounds soon enough. I fully expect AO, AD, TO and RS to all pound the glass tomorrow night.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Why don't we wait a few games before we declare AO is not getting better at UCONN. I mean he did get better last year and I agree without him we do not even sniff the FF.
Could we be ranked too high at #4 right now after watching our first game? Maybe- but I am willing to bet that AD and AO will have a chip on their should Monday night. If several more games go down the way the first one did then we can start worrying- I really think they will get it together.
He did get better last year. The thing he really improved on imo was his defense when his player was at the top of the key setting screens.

Players are like the stock market Scot-e. Some stocks go up for years without a down performance, some go down for a while, some stay sideways and some go up and down but trend upwards. It is not a contradiction to say AO can get better and still be an inconsistent player.

Reaction Score
I know there's not much else to talk about, but some people need to settle down. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised come tomorrow night.

Reaction Score
AO has already made remarkable strides in his game.
Well, don't confuse my words as a criticism of Alex - I think his contribution to the team is fantastic, and I don't mind his off days. He produces when it matters.

We have different opinions on this. I see essentially the same player we had when he walked on campus, plus some basic development in his shot and defense. On the scale of progression, I'd say he's on the lower end of the spectrum.

Comparing his 1st two years, he played an extra 5 minutes a game his sophomore year. On a per minute basis, his assists and blocks went down a bit, and his rebounding went from 0.27 to 0.3, which is about 1 rebound per game. Statistically, for those 3 categories, he was virtually the same player over the first two years.

The most improved part of his game was scoring, where he raised his shooting percent 0.047.

I can't say that increasing your shooting average from .460 to .507 is "remarkable," particularly when you consider that 1) his first year was the Dyson/Stan year, and 2) he shot more than twice as many shots his second year. Both of those could be argued to have reduced his shooting percentage his first year.

Like I said, I like Alex just the way he is, I'd love to see improvement, and he is a critical component on the team.

I just don't see much change in the way he plays.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
We have given up 20 and 20+ offensive rebounds in the last two outings. To be fair, when teams shoot 28% against you, they have the opportunity to collect a lot of offensive rebounds. But those numbers seem pretty high with with the size we put in the frontcourt.

Calhoun was not pleased, he said.--I think our kids are accepting box outs. They're just allowing themselves to be boxed out. I told them we should cancel weight training for the rest of the year because it's not doing us any good. If we get boxed, we stay boxed. And that's unusual. Everybody's been telling them we have a good frontcourt. Really? We've just given up 42 offensive rebounds in two games. I don't think that's very good.

My guess is that once Drummond gets into a groove the problem will diminish. And per usual, this is exactly what Calhoun wants. Now, he can really apply the pressure and get things done his way.
Lack of discipline in two respects: 1) more than one player aggressively going for the block shot and ignoring the man they are supposed to box out
2) watching where the ball is going rather than finding their man to box out
Both correctable errors but #1 has been a common problem ever since UConn has gotten the reputation of being an elite shot blocking team

Reaction Score
Or the occaisional good Final Four. That's some pretty good hatin' you got goin' on there, NH.

I said he shows up in big games, but I'm tired of these cupcakes coming too close to winning because he doesn't put in the effort. He was non-existent yesterday.

Reaction Score
I think some of you are being a little harsh on Alex. Last season he was probably our third best player, and obviously a huge reason we won the tournaments that we did. He was a little bit inconsistent, sure, but that is not unusual for a sophmore big man. He played his best when we needed him too, and for the season he averaged close to a double double. This season I'm sure we all expected a little more out of him. I would even go as far to say 15 and 10 for the season is well within his reach, especially with Drummond taking some pressure off him.

Obviously we are going to need him to be better than he has been, but it has only been three games. He knows he needs to be better, and he'll work hard to correct what ever he has been doing wrong.

Reaction Score
We're such spoiled ninnies. Is there a river in here? Because we're all crying.
Alex Oriakhi is Alex Oriakhi.
It seems like we go through this every year. Why do we do this to ourselves?
Some guys get better every year. Let's say. Kemba Walker. Let's say. Hilton Armstrong. Let's say Lamb and Olander. Some guys come in awesome and stay awesome, getting a bigger role each year. Let's say. Ray Allen. Let's say Donyell Marshall. Some guys come in and add small increments to their game each year, essentially leaving as a polished version of the player they were when they entered. Let's say. Gavin Edwards. Let's say. Lyman DePriest. Let's say DysonStan. We had at least one guy who seemed to go backwards his last year [unnamed].
We maintain this conception that every player should get substantially better every year, and then, when they don't we're disappointed. Noted improvement each year is the exception, not the norm. Jeremy Lamb's improvement is a wonderful thing, but it's not a common thing at all.

Here's some conjecture. Alex Oriakhi is substantially the same player he was on April 4th of this year when he was the only guy to shoot above 50% against Butler and went 5 of 6 from the floor. He had 11 boards and 4 blocks and hit his one free throw while only committing two fouls. He did this in 25 minutes. That is a game that most guys who have every played would be happy to post in the NC game.

Yet we hold dear the premise that, notwithstanding that fine performance, the guy should have, in 7 months, developed such and such post moves and so on.

Fact is, Oriakhi is an awkward post offender. That's just what it is. When he gets the ball in the post and makes his move, it's like watching a lobster trying to use a ball point pen. It's ugly. I guess that, if we're fortunate to have him around in a year or two, he won't be substantially different. A bit more polish. A better jumper. And so on. But he's likely never going to have that back-to-the basket smoothness that we saw Okafor develop in his 3rd year.

So, for my part, I'm extremely happy Oriakhi is a Husky, and if he never gets substantially better, I'm not going to be disappointed or otherwise believe that he was oversold to us during the summer.

He is what he is.

I'll add, in closing, that Roscoe is the same way. In the end, I think Oriakhi and Smith will probably be viewed in UConn Lore as two guys who had athleticism and size and brought it to bear, while neither saw remarkable strides in his game while at UConn. I'd love to be wrong, obviously, but I'm completely fine with it if I'm not; for I like them just the way they are.

Nobody is being ridiculous for expecting Alex Oriakhi to grab more than 5 rebounds against Columbia in 30 minutes. Its a good thing for us that we dont need to rely on him to score as much this year. We need him to rebound and play solid d. He did neither against Columbia. Its one game so I dont read much into it, and I do expect him to play better but that was not a good performance by Alex. He didnt work hard to box out at all and he had about 15 rebounds bounce off his fingertips. He needs to rip a few of those down. Calhoun rightfully called him out and we should expect a better performance next game. I also dont think its viable to argue that its acceptable for a player of Oriakhi's standing to only add small increments each year. Gavin Edwards and Lyman Depriest werent McDonalds All-Americans like him. He made strong strides last year and hopefull he will again this year.

Reaction Score
If playing for a potential of millions of $$ can't motivate you to play hard every minute and at least attempt to dominate than he will be enjoying the far east and europe, which I'm sure doesn't suck but he won't be playing in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Is it too much to ask for our oldest player in the starting rotation to play like a veteran? That's all I ask.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Is it too much to ask for our oldest player in the starting rotation to play like a veteran? That's all I ask.

Why do you give more weight to an early season win against an Ivy League school than the NCAA tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom