Offense Looks Impressive | The Boneyard

Offense Looks Impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What a time to be alive.

But seriously, it does sound like Diaco, Thomas, and Myers have all speculated that the offense seems like it's doing better even in practice. And it's not like they're playing against some terrible UCF-led defense out there.

I imagine we won't see anything too crazy for Maine, but I'd love to see us push them around and get some playaction going. If we can just give Newsome a bit of room, I think the kid's a playermaker and could really open things up for us.

Reaction Score
What a time to be alive.

But seriously, it does sound like Diaco, Thomas, and Myers have all speculated that the offense seems like it's doing better even in practice. And it's not like they're playing against some terrible UCF-led defense out there.

I imagine we won't see anything too crazy for Maine, but I'd love to see us push them around and get some playaction going. If we can just give Newsome a bit of room, I think the kid's a playermaker and could really open things up for us.

What I'd like to see in the Maine game (now that I'm actually going) is to see the O-Line open up holes for Newsome and Johnson. I'd like to see Sheriffs have time against what should be a significantly smaller D-Line. I'm not expecting them to light up the score board, but I'd like to see 30+ points at the very minimum.

Reaction Score
What I'd like to see in the Maine game is a tremendous, tail-kicking performance against an outmatched, under-sized opponent.

Come out with all pistons firing a knock them down early and often.

I'm tired of any optimism I have going into a season being completely deflated after a game against a FCS opponent.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Noel Thomas' quote that they're going to do 'what works' is telling. In the past, we've seen the O try to establish the run regardless of whether or not it's working. Perhaps this year we'll take a more Belichickian approach to offense--take what the defense gives us from week to week, being neither a pass happy or run happy team.

Reaction Score
Noel Thomas' quote that they're going to do 'what works' is telling. In the past, we've seen the O try to establish the run regardless of whether or not it's working. Perhaps this year we'll take a more Belichickian approach to offense--take what the defense gives us from week to week, being neither a pass happy or run happy team.

Being that he is a WR I would expect him to be hopeful for passing. But with 27 TE's on the roster I'm guessing Diaco is going to try like hell to ram it down a team's throat, if at all possible.

Here's hoping all the hard work and nutrition talk has our OL tough as nails.

I would be happy to repeat the Donald Brown days where they knew we were running 75% of the time and by the 4th quarter the defense was spent.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I want to see the real Ron Jon, the one who freshman year looked somewhat like a Donald Brown.

I seem to recall reading that he's lost some weight over the summer, hopefully that should improve his performance.

Reaction Score
I want to see the real Ron Jon, the one who freshman year looked somewhat like a Donald Brown.

Getting a tad concerned about his fumbling. Believe this is the second one that "stopped" a drive that I have read about.

Reaction Score
I've been big on Vickers since I saw his tape the first time. I think he's going to be the real deal

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Maine needs to get beat so bad that navy feels it. Hope this is more than the usual summer camp feeling of domination !
A throwback to our days of thrashing these schools would be refreshing. Say 45-3?? Don't want to be too greedy.

Reaction Score
My attitude remain "show me." Diaco has been very TO adverse. I suspect that will remain his priority.

Reaction Score
My attitude remain "show me." Diaco has been very TO adverse. I suspect that will remain his priority.
They didn't have an offense to overcome TOs and but coaches are TO adverse..

Reaction Score
Getting a tad concerned about his fumbling. Believe this is the second one that "stopped" a drive that I have read about.
I think he better be concerned.. we have adequate depth at RB now... some hungry pups behind he and Newsome that have already excelled early on. Vickers and Hopkins are proto-types that have legit ability...

Reaction Score
They didn't have an offense to overcome TOs and but coaches are TO adverse..
Coaches in general are TO adverse but Diaco is very much so. Let's just say more than most. I recall one game after an INT where he ran the ball almost every play for the rest of the game.

Reaction Score
Coaches in general are TO adverse but Diaco is very much so. Let's just say more than most. I recall one game after an INT where he ran the ball almost every play for the rest of the game.
It was usf I believe a int , fumble and intentional grounding on the first few drives and he ran the ball the rest of the day .

Reaction Score
HCBD can't simply abandon a portion of our offense over an INT or a Fumble... In the last 2 years, maybe, but I think he needs to understand that our offense is still a work in process... even this year.. we'll have a hiccup here and there, sure, but you just can't make us one dimensional like that. Puts way too much pressure on the D..
With that said, we're probably improved on O now, and probably have the depth now at the key positions (RB,WR) except QB and OL (still), where if, say a fumble happened, coach doesn't revert back to being a bit stubborn (my opinion) and take away, say running plays (because of the fumble), that player that fumbled would absorb most of the blame because of it... Can't/Shouldn't take away the passing game because of an INT.. just can't. If we want to be considered a Big Boy football program, just can't do it...

Reaction Score
My hope is we have one of those games Edsall's teams had vs overmatched opponents. 35-3 at halftime running the offense then call off the dogs after the first drive of the 3rd quarter and guys you didn't even know we're on the team playing in the 4th. 48-10 type final. That to me will signify that we ha have made the turn for real.

Reaction Score
I believe it. Just for the simple fact Samra is gone will help immensely. Guy was a sieve and got Shirreffs and Co. hammered all season long.

If anybody is interested go back and watch the first 45 min of both the USF and Navy games and see how bad he played in those 2 games alone. A lot of our problems on O stemmed from him and on Defense a lot of our problems stemmed from Adams taking terrible angles and missing open field tackles and Stewart not staying home.

I think the O will be better since we are replacing our worst lineman with arguably our best and I think the defense will be better too because hopefully the Watkins and whoever is rotating in at LB doesn't try to be a hero and just does their job.

Reaction Score
I think he better be concerned.. we have adequate depth at RB now... some hungry pups behind he and Newsome that have already excelled early on. Vickers and Hopkins are proto-types that have legit ability...

2 things:

We do not have adequate RB depth under any reasonable definition of depth.

More importantly, do not EVER use the term prototype to describe any of our players.

Reaction Score
2 things:

We do not have adequate RB depth under any reasonable definition of depth.

More importantly, do not EVER use the term prototype to describe any of our players.

September 1
"We know nothing" - I submit that we can easily see what Vickers and/or Hopkins is all about in a couple of series within weeks. Often, you find a kid from HS looks ready to produce from the first few snaps ... that's how I felt about Todman. And Robbie Frey & Terry Caulley & even Andre Dixon. Don Brown took awhile ... but had the set of assets to be solid.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I believe it. Just for the simple fact Samra is gone will help immensely. Guy was a sieve and got Shirreffs and Co. hammered all season long.

If anybody is interested go back and watch the first 45 min of both the USF and Navy games and see how bad he played in those 2 games alone. A lot of our problems on O stemmed from him and on Defense a lot of our problems stemmed from Adams taking terrible angles and missing open field tackles and Stewart not staying home.

I think the O will be better since we are replacing our worst lineman with arguably our best and I think the defense will be better too because hopefully the Watkins and whoever is rotating in at LB doesn't try to be a hero and just does their job.

I tend to agree about Samra not being good.

But,,,,,was the problem him being the second best guard on the roster, the other guards not being ready to take his snaps or the coaching staff not recruiting or doing a better job done ceiling players.

Football is a helluva sport to play when your skill level doesn't match your depth chart level.

Yes, he was a poor playing guard. On the flip side I don't remember him making headlines off the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom