Odds that shabazz returns? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Odds that shabazz returns?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3149
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Am I the only one around here that thinks Bazz is never going to play a game in the NBA? He's been a great college player, but so was Jacob Pullen (yes I know Bazz is a little better, but same build, same game style). Bazz is the prototypical European star, but if he ever gets to play in the NBA, I fear it will be mostly as a benchwarmer.

Not trying to be negative--it's honestly what I think.

Personally, I think you are nuts. I would be shocked if Bazz never played a game in the NBA. The kid has improved so much since he arrived at UConn. I see him having at least a 3 to 5 year career in the NBA as a backup point guard.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I don't understand why some of you believe Bazz can really only hurt his stock by coming back next year; as if there's no chance of him becoming a better player. I'd love to hear the justifications rather than people just saying so.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why some of you believe Bazz can really only hurt his stock by coming back next year; as if there's no chance of him becoming a better player. I'd love to hear the justifications rather than people just saying so.
Because he's one year older ? because this years draft is very weak compared to next years ? those are facts not to mention he's playing at a really high level.

Bazz a prototypical euro star? What does that even mean?

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Those only work when you assume he won't get better next year...

Reaction Score
Because he's one year older ? because this years draft is very weak compared to next years ? those are facts not to mention he's playing at a really high level.

Bazz a prototypical euro star? What does that even mean?

Bazz is a great shooter, and a good PG with vision. His size is going to be an extreme disadvantage in the NBA where it is not as much of an issue with European leagues.

But I also don't think Bazz will translate as a PG in the NBA. He may have PG duties depending on who's on the court, but with his build, I honestly think he'll only get a decent shot to play if he's a backup SG--the catch and shoot type. I just find it hard to believe he'll be able to create moves against PGs who have 6-8 inches on him.

Reaction Score
Bazz is a great shooter, and a good PG with vision. His size is going to be an extreme disadvantage in the NBA where it is not as much of an issue with European leagues.

But I also don't think Bazz will translate as a PG in the NBA. He may have PG duties depending on who's on the court, but with his build, I honestly think he'll only get a decent shot to play if he's a backup SG--the catch and shoot type. I just find it hard to believe he'll be able to create moves against PGs who have 6-8 inches on him.

6-8 inches on him? WTF NBA are you watching where teams are trotting out 6'6"-6'8" PGs? Between the Pullen comparison and now this you're exposing your lack of bball knowledge.

Reaction Score
6-8 inches on him? WTF NBA are you watching where teams are trotting out 6'6"-6'8" PGs? Between the Pullen comparison and now this you're exposing your lack of bball knowledge.
Must be the extra tall league. It is all kept very hush hush.

I may be way off base, but I always thought most NBA point guards were in the 6' to 6'3" range with a few taller.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
IMO, he's NBA ready but may elect to stay one more year to bridge the program.

It's hard to really know the real SN because his freshman year he rightfully deferred to KW, his sophomore year he played with a broken foot and with a sulking co captain who was the opposite of Rashamel Jones, and his junior year there are too many missing parts, players playing out of position and lots of inexperiences players needing to play key roles. What type of games could SN have had this season with more experienced team mates and with skilled players at the four and five? That is the major difficulty in projecting what SN can do.

Not only is SN playing too many minutes, he's also required to help out on defense with rebounding on every play. That is taking a toll on him. And yet he's still managing to put up incredible numbers. How many assists has he lost because guys like TO and DD can't finish strong on the offensive end? My guess is if JA or AD was on this years team, most of the scouts would be putting him in the first round. And my guess is that some scout will have the balls to approach his team and advocate for SN in spite of some intangibles.

What SN lacks in athleticism he makes up in incredible high BBIQ. He is an American player with European attributes and there are European players selected without athleticism.

Reaction Score
Must be the extra tall league. It is all kept very hush hush.

I may be way off base, but I always thought most NBA point guards were in the 6' to 6'3" range with a few taller.

A little hyperbole, I admit, but Bazz is not 6 feet tall.

Reaction Score

All I know is Bazz is shorter than me and I'm stretching it when I call myself 6 feet. But I was indulging in a little hyperbole. He's still undersized though and I wound venture than his armspan compared to that of some NBA players is 4-6 inches less (thinking people like Westbrook).

I dunno--I never saw Bazz as an NBA-bound player just based on his build. All I've read from independent sources on Bazz's NBA hopes are none too positive. And when you live in an area outside of Connecticut, you don't hear the praise sung on this board about his skills.

He's been an excellent player for UConn, but to me, he's not to the level of Kemba Walker in most facets of the game. I personally believe Bazz will never be a starter in the NBA if he does make it and I think his career will be at most 5 years and mostly relegated to garbage time.

There are a lot of good...no...great college basketball players who never make it out in the NBA. It's always for a variety of reasons, but one of the most common is being undersized. The NBA is full of freaks of nature, refined from the best players in the game around the world. I just have a difficult time envisioning Bazz being in that group.

I'm just telling you my honest thoughts. I find that the Boneyard tends to get a little bullish on our products in pro leagues. The same thing happens in football too (see Brown/Todman). I'll be delighted if Bazz proves me wrong, but I'm not sold on his NBA prospects and in the end, I think it's best he returns next year so he gets his degree (assuming he's not on the accelerated pace that Kemba was).

Reaction Score
When i think of Bazz in the NBA, I think of DJ Augustin. If DJ can find a place in the NBA, I don't see why Bazz can't. Their stats for their last and current year in college are very similar. DJ might have Bazz with quickness a bit, but Bazz has the toughness. I don't think Bazz will be a star, but I see no reason why he can't be a very serviceable backup pg. Do I see Bazz going in the lottery, no. But who knows. Given that, for selfish reasons obviously I want him to return. It would be great to continue to watch him grow as a player. Wish him the best either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom