October UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

October UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
H E double hockey sticks YES! One plays the 4 and the other the 5. Plus there are 5 seniors this year so we need good players.

Just one starter leaving after this year and one the year after that. A lot of the top HS players are looking to start right away (not all). They have a crossover and a spin move and think that will carry them through 4 years. Or else their parent(s) think this.
Cardosa and Edwards have huge potential. Whether they are the types to be driven to be "all they can be" is unknown. Geno has sufficient talent coming in to win in 2021 and 2022.
Cardosa may not want to go on an official with a group. Or maybe she made up her mind and all these officials are to convince her family. So I'll just watch it all unfold.

Let's just hope that Paige & Azzi remain each other's slime. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If both Cardosa and Edwards want to commit, UCONN should take both. Yes, I know they would then have six commits for 2020, but both are excellent players and there is no guarantee that UCONN will get Amari DeBerry in 2021. UCONN would also solve their lack of height problem for the near future.

Reaction Score
Just one starter leaving after this year and one the year after that. A lot of the top HS players are looking to start right away (not all). They have a crossover and a spin move and think that will carry them through 4 years. Or else their parent(s) think this.
Cardosa and Edwards have huge potential. Whether they are the types to be driven to be "all they can be" is unknown. Geno has sufficient talent coming in to win in 2021 and 2022.
Cardosa may not want to go on an official with a group. Or maybe she made up her mind and all these officials are to convince her family. So I'll just watch it all unfold.

Let's just hope that Paige & Azzi remain each other's slime. :rolleyes:

If Westbrook is able to play this year, it will be 2 next year. And wouldn’t it be nice to sub 5 in 5 out!!?? Or just have a really strong bench like 2001 and 2002??

Reaction Score
If Westbrook is able to play this year, it will be 2 next year. And wouldn’t it be nice to sub 5 in 5 out!!?? Or just have a really strong bench like 2001 and 2002??

Westbrook has 2 years left. If she plays this year then I also think she MAY leave for the pros as I think she will be eligible. But there are the other 2 scenarios where she plays in 2022, that she doesn't get the waiver or she gets it and plays 2 years. A guard roster in 2022 could include Williams. Westbrook, Bueckers & Fudd. Very possibly 4 future Olympians. That would be unprecedented.

And when Williams and Westbrook leave Ms. Smith will cite their loss as why she has UConn 7th in her pre-season prognostication. :rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Old, but not sure if it was ever posted, but Jasmine Lister was in WA watching Talia von Oelhoffen on September 23.

Not reported here. Where did you see that? I can't find it anywhere.

Reaction Score
If both Cardosa and Edwards want to commit, UCONN should take both. Yes, I know they would then have six commits for 2020, but both are excellent players and there is no guarantee that UCONN will get Amari DeBerry in 2021. UCONN would also solve their lack of height problem for the near future.

UConn is done recruiting for 2020, IMHO.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Talia von Oelhoffen is a very nice player just don't see a good fit for her at UCONN with a roster that going to include four (Aubrey, Mir, Saylor, Anna) who can all play the SF position and three guards (Christyn, Paige, & Nika that are the same size as Talia and can play SG and slide over and play SF.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Talia von Oelhoffen is a very nice player just don't see a good fit for her at UCONN with a roster that going to include four (Aubrey, Mir, Saylor, Anna) who can all play the SF position and three guards (Christyn, Paige, & Nika that are the same size as Talia and can play SG and slide over and play SF.
Christyn will be 3 years ahead of her, and Aubrey and Anna 2 years ahead of her. Maybe Talia is our back-up plan in case we don't get Azzi.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Christyn will be 3 years ahead of her, and Aubrey and Anna 2 years ahead of her. Maybe Talia is our back-up plan in case we don't get Azzi.
:eek: Sorry but I just can't endorse that kind of thinking!
Besides Azzi there is still Miles, Rivers, Verhulst, and Key. My personal favorite Marshall is also reportedly holding a UCONN offer.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Besides Azzi there is still Miles, Rivers, Verhulst, and Key. My personal favorite Marshall is also reportedly holding a UCONN offer.
Yes, but evidently, the coaching staff does not agree with you. Maybe they don't think their chances of getting commitments from those players are good.

Reaction Score
Yes, but evidently, the coaching staff does not agree with you. Maybe they don't think their chances of getting commitments from those players are good.

Even if you feel you are in a good spot with certain recruits, you still have to do your due diligence as a staff and keep evaluating other players.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Not all that familiar with Marshall but Key will be a wing/forward.

I don't know where UConn stands with the others--haven't head a peep about Miles in forever--but they've scouted TVO several times this summer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let's see now.: The UCONN staff is in the HoFs and I'm posting on the BY. Agreement between me and the UCONN staff would be accidental, unlikely, was never going to happen.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2020 POI Gemma Potter has announced she will attend UCLA on social media.

Thanks to Stoli for the news.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

#1 - Fudd
#2 - Miles
#3 - Rivers
#4 - Moore
#7 - Poffenbarger
#9 - Ducharme
#10 - DeBerry
#12 - Wolfenbarger
#13 - Hollingshead
#14 - Key
#15 - Citron
#16 - von Oelhoffen

...and a few more.

That's another very high rating for Poffenbarger. She went from mostly unranked, save for a high ranking at Blue Star, to top-20 by everyone else.

Also the lowest I've seen DeBerry rated by any outlet at any point. Not that 10th is lowly.

Noted that Taylor Bigby, one-time UConn POI, just gave a verbal to Oregon.

The other players mentioned with UConn:

18) - McPherson
22) - Johnson
25 - Wolfenbarger
29 - Darius
37 - Kampschroeder
73 - Adams

One player I'm still not sure about is Kiki Iriafen--new posts on her below--who is #17. There were some reasons to think UConn was scouting her but it hasn't been confirmed yet.

Reaction Score
That's another very high rating for Poffenbarger. She went from mostly unranked, save for a high ranking at Blue Star, to top-20 by everyone else.

Also the lowest I've seen DeBerry rated by any outlet at any point. Not that 10th is lowly.

18) - McPherson
22) - Johnson
25 - Wolfenbarger
29 - Darius
37 - Kampschroeder
73 - Adams

One player I'm still not sure about is Kiki Iriafen--new posts below on her--who is #17. There were some reasons to think UConn was scouting her but it hasn't been confirmed yet.
I feel like Geno's level of interest patterns Blue Star more than other lists.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I feel like Geno's level of interest patterns Blue Star more than other lists.

Well, Poffenbarger had a very good ranking there before UConn's interest in her was publicly known. Maybe Blue Star somehow knew but that might be a coincidence.

Reaction Score
Well, Poffenbarger had a very good ranking there before UConn's interest in her was publicly known. Maybe Blue Star somehow knew but that might be a coincidence.
It could also be in the organization's evaluation criteria. I'm sure they all weight attributes differently and maybe Blue Star criteria aligns more closely to the Geno criteria.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

18) - McPherson
22) - Johnson
25 - Wolfenbarger
29 - Darius
37 - Kampschroeder
73 - Adams

One player I'm still not sure about is Kiki Iriafen--new posts on her below--who is #17. There were some reasons to think UConn was scouting her but it hasn't been confirmed yet.

Sluconn:

I just finished posting about this on McGraw's Bench with appropriate Irish prospects and wrote up both the player's ranking and their rating. What's amazing is that if you look at the top ranked prospect, Fudd, she has a 99 while the 16th and 17th ranked players come in at 96.

Yes, the rankings get headlines but I think that the ratings sometimes help explain why coaches might look at prospects "way below other ranked players," when, in fact, their ratings are pretty close. Lots of good talent in this class...and the race for the remaining 2020 prospects is winding down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom