October 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

October 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Based on how Edwards has been mentioned on here I'd be shocked if she wasn't the backup 5. I specifically remember the words "tough." being described of her. And did I hear she is "6'3?" And I heard "Tough" and "6'3" "with skill" that's an all-around better player than "raw." The better player that is tough, tall enough and skilled will play. And when I hear someone is "raw" - usually for a top 5 team at UCONN - she's on the bench her frosh year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just how good is she? I read last season that she had a lot of work to do to be a really good college player and later that she is a similar player as Ono. What is true?
All of that is "true" in the sense that you read it somewhere here on the BY. The opinions on the BY should never be confused with truth or reality. Amari was injured at USA basketball (wrist) trials and still made the team and was mostly a backup to Betts. She is very similar to ONO in mobility, mid range, and the need to add strength. ONO is a better passer and more athletic. Your comparison however was to Piath. In that regard there is no comparison in the basketball skill set, highest level of competition faced, rankings and the ability of the two players to contribute at UCONN aka " really good college player" . ONO will be a senior when Amari arrives and Piath will be a Sophomore. IMO Amari will be more prepared to be ONO's backup as a Freshman than Piath will be either this year or next.

Reaction Score
3:35.......................;)
If we are betting on the over and under ;) , my bet is she will average over 7 minutes a game. UConn is still in a relatively poor league and between the blow outs and the games ONO gets in foul trouble, a strong big body who can run the floor will get at least this amount of playing time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does anybody have a clue (even) a rumor about 2022 Janiah Barker?
Clueless here... But as I've said before I would love to see her in a UCONN uniform.

As if..gif

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
TCU was 26 with a pitiful OOC of 98 at least this school could be a top 3 in the Big12
Dayton was 77 with their schedule 107,
Memphis was 157, and 102
WF was #73 with a descent 54 schedule
And yes it is her list but if I have Ivy leagues looking at my academic record, why would I also consider a community college? :confused:
I'll take a pick at this one. I'm not so down on TCU, and I certainly don't think they should be deemed lower on the respect index than Boston College. The Horned Frogs have been much improved over the past few years, and but for the pandemic would have been a 6 or 7 seed in last year's NCAA tournament. Their OOC wasn't great but was still better than Boston College's and many other schools' (including Baylor, NC State, UCLA, Kentucky, and more).

Dayton isn't quite what they were in the Jabir years but still a decent program, unlike what's happened to A-10 running mate George Washington anyway. (IIRC Dayton is the last midmajor to reach the Elite 8?)

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'll take a pick at this one. I'm not so down on TCU, and I certainly don't think they should be deemed lower on the respect index than Boston College. The Horned Frogs have been much improved over the past few years, and but for the pandemic would have been a 6 or 7 seed in last year's NCAA tournament. Their OOC wasn't great but was still better than Boston College's and many other schools' (including Baylor, NC State, UCLA, Kentucky, and more).

Dayton isn't quite what they were in the Jabir years but still a decent program, unlike what's happened to A-10 running mate George Washington anyway. (IIRC Dayton is the last midmajor to reach the Elite 8?)
Reagan Pebley has done remarkable work at TCU, however, this conference is a tad pathetic and really only getting worse after Baylor/Texas/TCU and the Big East could overtake this conference in ratings. The ACC is significantly deeper and I would hope BC ups its OOC now that she is getting better recruits. My beef with Reagan is probably more to do with losing twice to Texas Tech and Marlene than anything else (if I were to be honest, which I am NOT). :eek:
Dayton-just because you are the tallest midget, does not mean you are tall. Yeah, you are the class of the A10...yuk.
My point as I made it was why are these schools being considered with the other, more elite basketball schools? :cool:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Reagan Pebley has done remarkable work at TCU, however, this conference is a tad pathetic and really only getting worse after Baylor/Texas/TCU and the Big East could overtake this conference in ratings. The ACC is significantly deeper and I would hope BC ups its OOC now that she is getting better recruits. My beef with Reagan is probably more to do with losing twice to Texas Tech and Marlene than anything else (if I were to be honest, which I am NOT). :eek:
Dayton-just because you are the tallest midget, does not mean you are tall. Yeah, you are the class of the A10...yuk.
My point as I made it was why are these schools being considered with the other, more elite basketball schools? :cool:
The Big 12 was #2 in the Massey rankings last season, well ahead of the SEC and ACC at #4 and #5.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The Big 12 was #2 in the Massey rankings last season, well ahead of the SEC and ACC at #4 and #5.
why are you letting facts get in the way of my rant against this conference...I need a year of NO MARLENE and maybe I will see reason. I also struggle with what my eyes see in their games in the Big12 vs. what my eyes see in the Big10 and ACC.
The issue that the Big12 has to help it along is it only has 10 teams for conference scoring on the rating. The Big10 and SEC have 14 teams, ACC has 15 teams. If I choose the top 10 teams from those conferences (yes, cherry picking), the Big12 falls to 5th.
Massey had my dreaded TTech at #52 which we all know was WAY overranked. Oklahoma was #69, also WAY over ranked. and for gosh sakes they even had Kansas at #75 :confused:

My eyes tell me NO WAY. I would bet Auburn, Vandy, Florida against anyone of those. In the Big 10 I would take Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois over them (can't say PSU, yuk). I would even take Wake, Clemson and a surging PITT who beat ND over them (sorry my emotion on beating ND is overwhelming my logic, Pitt stinks and would not be the bottom 3 of Big10).
The BigEast isn't so bad for the top 8, but Providence and Georgetown are dreadful- Xavier was rebuilding and played a tough schedule so they get some slack cut. So none of the bottom BigEast could beat the bottom Big10.

Plebe

Reaction Score
why are you letting facts get in the way of my rant against this conference...I need a year of NO MARLENE and maybe I will see reason. I also struggle with what my eyes see in their games in the Big12 vs. what my eyes see in the Big10 and ACC.
The issue that the Big12 has to help it along is it only has 10 teams for conference scoring on the rating. The Big10 and SEC have 14 teams, ACC has 15 teams. If I choose the top 10 teams from those conferences (yes, cherry picking), the Big12 falls to 5th.
Massey had my dreaded TTech at #52 which we all know was WAY overranked. Oklahoma was #69, also WAY over ranked. and for gosh sakes they even had Kansas at #75 :confused:

My eyes tell me NO WAY. I would bet Auburn, Vandy, Florida against anyone of those. In the Big 10 I would take Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois over them (can't say PSU, yuk). I would even take Wake, Clemson and a surging PITT who beat ND over them (sorry my emotion on beating ND is overwhelming my logic, Pitt stinks and would not be the bottom 3 of Big10).
The BigEast isn't so bad for the top 8, but Providence and Georgetown are dreadful- Xavier was rebuilding and played a tough schedule so they get some slack cut. So none of the bottom BigEast could beat the bottom Big10.
Funny you should mention Florda. The Gators actually lost by 10 in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge to Kansas, the last-place team in the Big 12.

That's just the thing. Can't cherry pick only the top half of one conference for comparison to the entirety of the other. Remember that for every South Carolina and Louisville there's also an Ole Miss and Pitt that must be taken equally into account.

The overrated conferences of 2019-2020 were, by far, the SEC and the ACC.

Reaction Score

Sorry, but I think the ACC is considerably ahead of the Big 12.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Sorry, but I think the ACC is considerably ahead of the Big 12.
Well, this is probably because stereotype and reputation exert a stronger psychological pull than data.

Reaction Score

To add onto this, her brother is currently at TCU. The family has some familiarity with the school itself. Could explain things.

TCU has gotten better from what I've been able to catch on TV when I'm lucky to see more than what's on ESPN. I don't know anything about their guard situation however.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I'll just put this out there! In a UCONN uniform Miss Jackson's floor would be equivalent to Kia Nurse and her ceiling could be higher than Bria Hartley. I suspect UCONN's main competition for her are in state Baylor and Texas. I would hate to see her end up at either of those schools where her floor would be as good as Victoria Vivians and her ceiling could be at Odyssey Sims level.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The above video should have its own thread. It will be buried starting tomorrow. Rice and Rosario more than held their own.
There were also some other very good players in that game as well-Bollin (Duke) Cintron (ND) Adams (UNC). Paris Clark was special I thought.

Reaction Score

Aalyah Del Rosario and Kiki Rice are playing in this event.

Since these unstructured games are usually dominated by the "do it all yourself" guards, it was a tough game to get a read on Del Rosario's skills progress so far. At the wrong end of the action a lot but seems to go to the boards pretty well. Not surprised that Bollin was a non factor at 6-3. Seems to like to play the Brunelle game, hang around the perimeter looking for shots and getting beat to the ball a lot inside. Rice was ok, fairly quick and decent handle, but being rated the top PG really makes you appreciate how good Bueckers was last season. Night and day difference.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Del Rosario showed some good things paticulary good hand, good strength and an awesome rebounding presence. When she secures a rebound it was very secure. Surprisingly though, Del Rosario was outplayed by Ally Carman of Red Bank Catholic. I was disappointed by both Bollin and Adams 6'3" players that had ZERO impact inside and seemed way too content to float on the perimeter. With HS basketball in jeopardy we may be see a few more of these games. Most of the kids were from NYC/ Jersey, I wonder who Kiki knows that secured her a spot.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Rice was ok, fairly quick and decent handle, but being rated the top PG really makes you appreciate how good Bueckers was last season. Night and day difference.

Rice isn't really a point guard. More of small guardish forward that makes plays.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Rice reminds me of Celeste Taylor who had a
Good year at Texas. Rice will find plenty of time wherever she goes because she is such a good athlete. I just wish she was a little better outside shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom