October 2020 off-season transfer thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

October 2020 off-season transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight...if Littel actually was a good coach with a significantly better conference record than his paltry 76-86 in 10 year, and he wanted to coach at Texas when their position was open, would he have to sit out a year? The answer of course is NO he would not. This reeks of the hypocrisy that faced Saban when he tried to block a second string player from going to Georgia considering how many jobs he abandoned mid contract.
It’s a STUPID rule and is against the free market. All writers should be deluging this the coach with questions and pointed comments. So much for having the students best interest at heart.
To me, it’s time for Littel to lose this job anyway, he’s not been great in conference, pads his OOC with cupcakes to get 20 wins and now this? As Michael Kay says “See ya”

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight...if Littel actually was a good coach with a significantly better conference record than his paltry 76-86 in 10 year, and he wanted to coach at Texas when their position was open, would he have to sit out a year? The answer of course is NO he would not. This reeks of the hypocrisy that faced Saban when he tried to block a second string player from going to Georgia considering how many jobs he abandoned mid contract.
It’s a STUPID rule and is against the free market. All writers should be deluging this the coach with questions and pointed comments. So much for having the students best interest at heart.
To me, it’s time for Littel to lose this job anyway, he’s not been great in conference, pads his OOC with cupcakes to get 20 wins and now this? As Michael Kay says “See ya”
That is the intra-conference transfer rule in all Big 12 sports as voted when the conference was formed back in 1996. So, student-athletes should be aware of that rule prior to transferring. The only ones who have a right to complain are those schools who voted against the rule when it was up for discussion many years ago. Furthermore, an intra-conference transfer also loses one year of eligibility (believe that is still in force); the exception being grad-transfers. So, Gerlich's daughter, Bryn will lose one year of eligibility as an undergraduate intra-conference transfer.
---------------

According to section 6.3.1 of the Big 12 bylaws, a student-athlete transferring between member institutions must sit out a year of competition unless they receive a written waiver from the athletic director of their original school.

“Any consent given relating to intraconference transfer may be unconditional or conditioned on the student-athlete completing an academic year in residence at the second Member Institution before competing,” the rule states.

“Any consent given relating to intraconference transfer may be unconditional or conditioned on the student-athlete completing an academic year in residence at the second Member Institution before competing,” per Big 12 rules
Unlike the Big 12, the Southeastern Conference last summer passed a specific amendment addressing graduate transfers between member institutions. Per the SEC rule, any transfer who has completed their undergraduate degree is immediately eligible if they transfer within the conference. There is no language mentioning graduate transfers in the Big 12’s bylaws, therefore leaving them under the same set of rules as undergraduate transfers.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
That is the intra-conference transfer rule in all Big 12 sports as voted when the conference was formed back in 1996. So, student-athletes should be aware of that rule prior to transferring. The only ones who have a right to complain are those schools who voted against the rule when it was up for discussion many years ago. Furthermore, an intra-conference transfer also loses one year of eligibility (believe that is still in force); the exception being grad-transfers. So, Gerlich's daughter, Bryn will lose one year of eligibility as an undergraduate intra-conference transfer.
---------------

According to section 6.3.1 of the Big 12 bylaws, a student-athlete transferring between member institutions must sit out a year of competition unless they receive a written waiver from the athletic director of their original school.

“Any consent given relating to intraconference transfer may be unconditional or conditioned on the student-athlete completing an academic year in residence at the second Member Institution before competing,” the rule states.

Unlike the Big 12, the Southeastern Conference last summer passed a specific amendment addressing graduate transfers between member institutions. Per the SEC rule, any transfer who has completed their undergraduate degree is immediately eligible if they transfer within the conference. There is no language mentioning graduate transfers in the Big 12’s bylaws, therefore leaving them under the same set of rules as undergraduate transfers.
Southie, I am well aware of the rule and am saying It’s a freakin stupid rule that needs to be abolished. That beings said a coach can AND SHOULD NOT block another player from transferring to another Big 12 school. :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Transfer Olivia Owens immediately eligible for Kentucky Wildcats, NCAA rules.

Which brings up a question: Has the NCAA denied any transfer waiver request of consequence?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Ah yes, he ol' "bad body language got me suspended and so I quit the team" waiver.
Yeah, not sure how I feel about this. I forget if Whalen or Pitts provided the quotes when she left the team; so, not sure if we heard all sides of the story (and that they were in agreement).

While she did sit out the semester at Minnesota, I just don't feel like a player who quit on her team (where "abuse" or a coaching change were not the reason) should be rewarded with immediate eligibility. If she had transferred to A&M in January, then perhaps it would make more sense to me.

Regardless, we'll probably never know what was stated in her waiver request.

Reaction Score
If Shemera hasn't landed yet, it's not for lack of offers. Must be taking her time to decide -- she was a late announcer, in mid-August -- or maybe she's considering opting out this year.

I'm predicting Kentucky.
Seeing as classes have already started, and practices as well, wouldn’t she have to already be enrolled somewhere to be potentially eligible (assuming she gets the waiver that virtually all seem to be getting)?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, not sure how I feel about this. I forget if Whalen or Pitts provided the quotes when she left the team; so, not sure if we heard all sides of the story (and that they were in agreement).

While she did sit out the semester at Minnesota, I just don't feel like a player who quit on her team (where "abuse" or a coaching change were not the reason) should be rewarded with immediate eligibility. If she had transferred to A&M in January, then perhaps it would make more sense to me.

Regardless, we'll probably never know what was stated in her waiver request.

Which brings up a question: Has the NCAA denied any transfer waiver request of consequence?

I think CocoHusky's question is kind of the standing answer at this juncture. Man, Coach Gary has quite a range of "transfer feeder schools" on his roster: Minnesota, Louisville, ND, Rutgers, Arkansas, Colarado State and Midland College (granted, a juco where her eligbility was over).

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Big loss for Berube:

Any chance she will join up with her former coach over at UNC?

Agree that this is a loss for Berube. I like Carlie Littlefield's game: smart, skillful, spunky and quick.
Don't know if she'll go to UNC with Coach Banghart -- frosh Deja Kelly is coming in this year.

This is kind of like guard Katie Benzan, a long range shooter, leaving Harvard to spend her last year at Maryland. Looking for a slightly bigger stage to launch a pro career? In the case of Princeton, that seemed to work well enough for Bella Alarie and there's a bunch of very good players coming back to play for the Tigers.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Agree that this is a loss for Berube. I like Carlie Littlefield's game: smart, skillful, spunky and quick.

This is kind of like guard Katie Benzan, a long range shooter, leaving Harvard to spend her last year at Maryland. Looking for a slightly bigger stage to launch a pro career? In the case of Princeton, that seemed to work well enough for Bella Alarie and there's a bunch of very good players coming back to play for the Tigers.
How about any stage at all? The scuttle is that the Ivy's entire season is about to go bye-bye:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
How about any stage at all? The scuttle is that the Ivy's entire season is about to go bye-bye:

Or, at least, starting with Harvard saying "no go."
It's interesting she chose to wait this long to make this decision, so -- who knows -- maybe she feared losing her year of eligibility within the Ivies. Many senior lax players, both make and female, hit the road once the Ivies didn't grant an extra year of eligibilty to their players last spring. She might be looking out for her own PT in the long run.

Reaction Score
Ivy League rules do not allow graduate students to compete, regardless of their eligibility status. A few players who were eligible for injury redshirts, but wanted to play all their season in the Ivy League have actually withdrawn from school in order to have the ability to return. The biggest case in Women's Basketball has probably been Temi Fagbenle using her last year at USC after getting Harvard degree, but it is quite common in other sports and I know that Duke has benefitted greatly in a number of sports.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There are probably only two Ivy League players that fall into the category of being juniors and have the ability to impact a top 10-20 program as a starter or key reserve-Carlie Littlefield (Princeton) & Eleah Parker (PENN).

Dillon77

Reaction Score
There are probably only two Ivy League players that fall into the category of being juniors and have the ability to impact a top 10-20 program as a starter or key reserve-Carlie Littlefield (Princeton) & Eleah Parker (PENN).

Agree. Shooting guard Julia Cunningham, whom I think is going to be a junior at Princeton, showed flashes last year. With Littlefield gone, she'll be needed -- along with Grace Stone (LI Lutheran) -- to pick up the scoring slack, left by Littlefield. Not to mention Alarie. Some challenges for Coach Carla this year.

Reaction Score

Shakira Austin is eligible to play immediately.

All three Maryland transfers will play this season.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score

Shakira Austin is eligible to play immediately.

All three Maryland transfers will play this season.
I am still confused as to the transfers especially Austin. Owens, I think was going to be getting limited playing time even with Austin leaving so her I sort of understand. Mikesell was a 2 year starter and even with Awusu as the PG, she still had a tremendous outside game. And Austin was/is one of the top 5-8 Posts in the game.
Any insight as to what is going on?

Reaction Score
I am still confused as to the transfers especially Austin. Owens, I think was going to be getting limited playing time even with Austin leaving so her I sort of understand. Mikesell was a 2 year starter and even with Awusu as the PG, she still had a tremendous outside game. And Austin was/is one of the top 5-8 Posts in the game.
Any insight as to what is going on?
Two things with Austin. First, she doesn't consider herself a post. As a player, she consider herself a Kevin Durant type of player. I don't know why because she has never hit a three pointer in her career at Maryland and her handle is below average. But she will get her chance to play on the wing at Ole Miss. Also, her former position caoch is now at Mississippi.
Mikesell wanted the ball in her hands. She handle the point for two full season at Maryland. With Owusu, that was not going to happen. It will be interesting to see how she will be used at Oregon.
Owens need to stop fouling so much. Other than that, she is a good player.

Reaction Score
Two things with Austin. First, she doesn't consider herself a post. As a player, she consider herself a Kevin Durant type of player. I don't know why because she has never hit a three pointer in her career at Maryland and her handle is below average. But she will get her chance to play on the wing at Ole Miss. Also, her former position caoch is now at Mississippi.
Mikesell wanted the ball in her hands. She handle the point for two full season at Maryland. With Owusu, that was not going to happen. It will be interesting to see how she will be used at Oregon.
Owens need to stop fouling so much. Other than that, she is a good player.
What little I’ve seen of S Austin it appears her strength and post moves are the strongest parts of her game. I’m confused as to why she would basically negate that by playing more on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom