OC Requirements/Job Posting | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OC Requirements/Job Posting

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I've decided that I prefer a guy with recruiting ties to Ohio. I think we are under represented in an area that produces a lot of QB's for the MAC that are consistently better than what we bring in.

We could go back to ground and pound. Zig when they zag! By which I mean score 24 while they score 42!

Dave Johnson, Ohio University

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Def not. Never been anything other than a WR coach, I highly doubt we'd have him calling plays

I personally would not want this to happen, but the only way things would shake out would be McCardell coaching WRs and Aaron Smith (who's only been a passing game coordinator, never an OC) getting promoted. Pass.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I personally would not want this to happen, but the only way things would shake out would be McCardell coaching WRs and Aaron Smith (who's only been a passing game coordinator, never an OC) getting promoted. Pass.

It wouldn't work because we still wouldn't have a QB coach...I'm pretty sure whoever we bring in needs to be a QB coach

Reaction Score
Thats why I said interesting, my first thought was that randy gave Aaron the OC job and McCardell would slide into receivers. I wouldn’t rule out an internal promotion or a hire whose previously been a part of RE’s staff.

Reaction Score
Thats why I said interesting, my first thought was that randy gave Aaron the OC job and McCardell would slide into receivers. I wouldn’t rule out an internal promotion or a hire whose previously been a part of RE’s staff.

Do you guys honestly think ANY NFL WR coach would come to UConn to also coach WR? Come on...If you want the name recognition of Keenan McCardell then he would only accept some sort of promotion, not a move that would be considered a step backwards.

Reaction Score
Darrell Bevell is available. He was fired today by the Seahwaks. Coached here previously under Skip and RE 1.0

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Darrell Bevell is available. He was fired today by the Seahwaks. Coached here previously under Skip and RE 1.0
Checking his Wikipedia page, it's hard to tell if he's any good. He had good numbers at times with Favre and Wilson. But Wilson played this year and he was released.
I think I'd prefer someone with a clearer history of success, especially if they took a poor performing team to a higher level. I want to believe they can do it here (with less unfortunately).

Reaction Score
Checking his Wikipedia page, it's hard to tell if he's any good. He had good numbers at times with Favre and Wilson. But Wilson played this year and he was released.
I think I'd prefer someone with a clearer history of success, especially if they took a poor performing team to a higher level. I want to believe they can do it here (with less unfortunately).
Doesn’t want an 10+ year NFL OC with a superbowl ringHead bang

Reaction Score
Do you guys honestly think ANY NFL WR coach would come to UConn to also coach WR? Come on...If you want the name recognition of Keenan McCardell then he would only accept some sort of promotion, not a move that would be considered a step backwards.
Valid point

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Doesn’t want an 10+ year NFL OC with a superbowl ringHead bang
He's also been let go twice so a couple people smarter than me didn't think he was the right man for the job. FHCPP has 7 or 8 years of NFL experience. Do you want him back? GDL looks to have 4 or so. And the Super Bowl ring came in the same season the Seahawk defense was ranked #1 in terms of points allowed at 14.6.
All I'm saying is it's hard to tell if he's a real good coordinator or not. We might get lucky and find another Dan O, but I would expect the probability is low. We need a coordinator who can get it done with less, much like what JC inherited when he came to UConn.
Lastly, didn't say I wouldn't take him, you added that. I only stated my preference. Hopefully your head bang will help with reading comprehension. If RE and DB decide that Bevell is the right guy, I'm 100% behind their choice. I don't profess to be all knowing and am putting my faith in them.

C

Chief00

I would expect it to work the same way as in industry. After a preliminary phone interview the candidate visits Storrs. The interviewee talks for half an hour to an hour with a number of people including RE2.0, DB, the other two coordinators, assistants on the offense side, couple other people in the athletic department. You are looking for fit, folks. RE does the first slot in the morning, the lunch, and the wrap-up in the evening which might also include dinner. Who else is invited is pretty much up to him. A meeting is held the next day where views are made known. Decision to proceed to the next step (the short list) is made by RE with input from DB. Nothing unusual.
That’s not the way it works - sorry about that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom