O.T. Pepes Apizza Co-Owner RIP | The Boneyard

O.T. Pepes Apizza Co-Owner RIP

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Sad, he didn't get to enjoy his succes for many more years. I've never had a pie at the Pepe's in New Haven that wasn't great.

It's funny how a pizza maker/pizza shop owner can become famous but he definitely had a slice of fame, he always seemed like a character.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Same family... Whitney and School Street. Just past Town Hall heading towards Cheshire. It’s now Eli’s Brick Oven.
Now I remember that place; I was conflating it with Paul & Eddy’s in Spring Glen.

Speaking of which, I have never had Paul & Eddy’s pie and I’m not sure I know anyone who has. Has that been discussed here? You probably have, no?

@Hans Sprungfeld ?

Reaction Score
Now I remember that place; I was conflating it with Paul & Eddy’s in Spring Glen.

Speaking of which, I have never had Paul & Eddy’s pie and I’m not sure I know anyone who has. Has that been discussed here? You probably have, no?

@Hans Sprungfeld ?
I have... it’s solid. It’s that next level town pizza place (i.e. Sergio’s, DeMatteo’s, Sapori, Olde World, Eli’s Brick Oven, Sorrento’s) that most communities around New Haven have. They have a steady loyal following and make a reliably good pie.

Reaction Score
Sad, he didn't get to enjoy his succes for many more years. I've never had a pie at the Pepe's in New Haven that wasn't great.

It's funny how a pizza maker/pizza shop owner can become famous but he definitely had a slice of fame, he always seemed like a character.

He was bigger than life w/ a heart of gold. Never seemed to forget where he came from.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
There was a Bimonte’s Apizza in Hamden CT years ago that had fantastic pie.
If I remember correctly the owner of Bimontes was Frank's son in law. Had a standing Friday night order from Bimontes in the early 70's. Great pies there but just not as good as Pepe's. RIP Gary!

Reaction Score
There was a Bimonte’s Apizza in Hamden CT years ago that had fantastic pie.
Yup, corner of School St and Whitney just north of Hamden Town Hall, fire station, and across School St from what was Reilly's forever and now Eli's. Bimonte's was owned/operated by a retired police officer, Joe Bimonte, a nephew if I recall correctly of the Pepe's Bimontes. Quality 'za.

Reaction Score

@Hans Sprungfeld ?
I had a pizza from Paul and Eddy's. I think it was the potato one and it was tasty. Good cheese. What is interesting is their eggplant sub is excellent. The bread is toasted to perfection and the eggplant is crispy.

I would give it a try.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

@Hans Sprungfeld ?
And the derailing begins....

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yup, corner of School St and Whitney just north of Hamden Town Hall, fire station, and across School St from what was Reilly's forever and now Eli's. Bimonte's was owned/operated by a retired police officer, Joe Bimonte, a nephew if I recall correctly of the Pepe's Bimontes. Quality 'za.
His pies live on in Cheshire at Mr. Bimonte's Pizza (Mr. B's). He passed in 1996

Reaction Score
And he was a great person, beside carrying on his Grandfathers passion For Apizza.

Reaction Score

@Hans Sprungfeld ?
stick with Olde World. P&E was disappointing when I had it (only once)

Reaction Score
the white clam pizza tho

i never knew you couldn’t do that anywhere else

Curiouser
Reaction Score
the white clam pizza tho

i never knew you couldn’t do that anywhere else
Theirs and Zuppardi’s are 1 and 1a. Both excellent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom