O.T. New Year traditional meals of yours? | The Boneyard

O.T. New Year traditional meals of yours?

Reaction Score
While the welcome and warm glow of the holidays lingers on, New Years Day is fast
approaching. Do you have a traditional meal for NY Day? Any info on the origins?

Our has always been sauerkraut and pork tenderloin due to our mainly (but not only) Germanic
roots. A terrific meal, always enjoyed at home with friends, it is believed to bring good luck for
the new year to the diners.

Reaction Score
First thing we eat in the morning has to be lentils and greens; lentils represent coins and greens represent cash bills. It's supposed to make you rich in the year to come (hasn't worked yet but I keep trying.) After that we eat whatever we want, usually featuring some sort of risotto or lasagna and followed by sweet potato pie.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
My wife is an Alabama country girl. She brought quite a few traditions to our New Years day. She makes black eyed peas and cornbread. The peas bring "good luck". She also makes greens which bring "money" . Not sure where it brings it though ;) Also we cannot wash any laundry that day due to the "bad luck" it would bring. I have no idea why , but she is insistent. I know it would be bad luck for me if I tried!. Her parents had some tradition about who could be the first person through the front door. Years ago my parents had corned beef and cabbage or pork roast and sauerkraut.

Reaction Score
While the welcome and warm glow of the holidays lingers on, New Years Day is fast
approaching. Do you have a traditional meal for NY Day? Any info on the origins?

Our has always been sauerkraut and pork tenderloin due to our mainly (but not only) Germanic
roots. A terrific meal, always enjoyed at home with friends, it is believed to bring good luck for
the new year to the diners.
French Canadian Meat Pies , fruit pies, Soup and 3 meat dumplings (phonetically) Put -zin. (by some means a catch all soup like Gumbo but this is more specific--beef, pork, veal ground in dumplings in a chicken type soup) New Years more than Christmas is the Big day. Puerto Rico celebrates 3 kings day for the kids
Origin as far as I know: Is the trappers from the 1600's in New France (from Comete's Maskinonge, St Maurice,)
My Brother in law was REAL German with a touch of Polish--Saure Bratten (spelling is bad) and a dozen others of sauerkraut, beef, etc.
Thanks again
@winlots

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Another food thread? :rolleyes:

There is a southern traditional new years day meal...... something like black eyed peas, hopping john (never quite figured out what that is) collard greens, and corn bread, and maybe a pork product. My mother gives me a call every New Years Day reminding me to go eat that meal. Well... I dont like black eyed peas, collard greens, cornbread, or hopping john. :confused: Maybe I could try a pork chop sammich and some kale this year.

Often I get pizza and chicken wings.. and maybe some sparkling grape juice.

Reaction Score
My wife is an Alabama country girl. She brought quite a few traditions to our New Years day. She makes black eyed peas and cornbread. The peas bring "good luck". She also makes greens which bring "money" . Not sure where it brings it though ;) Also we cannot wash any laundry that day due to the "bad luck" it would bring. I have no idea why , but she is insistent. I know it would be bad luck for me if I tried!. Her parents had some tradition about who could be the first person through the front door. Years ago my parents had corned beef and cabbage or pork roast and sauerkraut.
Sounds like my New Years in Little Rock (7 of em) Collard green, Corn bread, black eyed peas. Good people to be with anytime in Central Arkansas, CW represents them well.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Hoppin' John - a Southern rice dish traditionally with black eyed peas and bacon - lots of bacon. I'm a lifelong Yankee but I luv Hoppin' John. Chitlins' on the other hand suck. Stinky, slimey, boiled pig guts. Yuch!

Reaction Score
We just finished up our Patriots tape. Found the comments to be VERY Interesting. Lots of new (to me) news. Especially the origins stuff. BROADWAY: if you eat all the stuff you list, you'll put on about 20 pounds on Jan 1. Some fine eatin ahead for all.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score

No chicken, No washing clothes, and a man has to be the first one through the door. For the most part dinner consist of Chittlings, pig feet or pork chops with black-eyed peas, greens and cornbread.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
My wife's family is from South Carolina. Chitlins is what "they" have on New Years. I make sure there is something (anything) else available. Just can't!

You do not know what you are missing :).

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
My wife's family is from South Carolina. Chitlins is what "they" have on New Years. I make sure there is something (anything) else available. Just can't!
It's Chittlings :).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hoppin' John - a Southern rice dish traditionally with black eyed peas and bacon - lots of bacon. I'm a lifelong Yankee but I luv Hoppin' John. Chitlins' on the other hand suck. Stinky, slimey, boiled pig guts. Yuch!

For some reason... I thought hoppin john had corn it in..... either way... I aint gonna eat any
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Last time I had some chittlings was Jan 1, 1997 over my friends house. It wasnt bad.... but I havent had a taste for them since. Some swear by them fried up... with hot sauce. Im sure if i go to the grocery store in the next few days.... there will be plenty of chittling buckets for sale for those who indulge.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
sparkling wines of the ''method champenoise'' or charmat method, made in 'murica. maybe some good ol' corn likker too later in the day iffn we're outdoors for the drop.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Growing up it was all about the Bowl Games. So food was an afterthought. Usually just snacks. Chips and dips. Leftover Christmas cookies, fudge. etc. Maybe we'd make some Chili in the crockpot. Maybe order a pizza or chinese food?? Didn't really matter, as long as you could sit all day in the family room watching bowl games.

Reaction Score
Shrimp cocktail, shrimp scampi (top secret recipe), filet mignon, stuffed mushrooms, homemade ravioli, too my desserts to list, a fully stocked bar and of course bubblie for the ball drop. For the most part.

We're of Italian descent.
I'm available, if you need another mouth to feed. :rolleyes: As and Italian immigrant myself, New Year's Eve was never a big "family" thing, always with friends...not like Christmas Eve with the feast of the "Seven Fishes", but I know great food when I read about it. ;) Is that "bubblie" Prosecco, Asti Spumante...or both?

Reaction Score
mbr33ct: We don't recall seeing your Veteran Army Patch before. Much appreciation here for your service.
(In response to your Italian heritage revelation, we spent all day Christmas at home of close Italian friends eating , drinking, and playing games. If you are in CT and really are available for feeding, send us a PM and we'll try to oblige you early in the new year. )

Reaction Score
We just finished up our Patriots tape. Found the comments to be VERY Interesting. Lots of new (to me) news. Especially the origins stuff. BROADWAY: if you eat all the stuff you list, you'll put on about 20 pounds on Jan 1. Some fine eatin ahead for all.
That's a traditional meal, as requested. I had a MD visit today and lost 21 pounds since may, by design. Salads and meal size shrinks the tummy and bigger meals are no longer desirable (or so it says in my MD guide booK). My spouse is a NY, Queens, young lady and eats Southern with the best. My kids after being schooled below the Mason Dixon Ya All's better than natives, Arkansas did the trick.

Reaction Score
BROADWAYVA: Excellent job on that weight loss. Sounds like "just what the doctor ordered for "y'all." Keep it up and stay well!

Reaction Score
mbr33ct: We don't recall seeing your Veteran Army Patch before. Much appreciation here for your service.
(In response to your Italian heritage revelation, we spent all day Christmas at home of close Italian friends eating , drinking, and playing games. If you are in CT and really are available for feeding, send us a PM and we'll try to oblige you early in the new year. )

I am in CT (North Haven), the "We Pierce" patch/pin is of the 64th Armor Regiment stationed in Germany, (69-71), assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division. My previous reply was in jest of course, I do appreciate your generosity in the offering. Someday, if a/another Boneyard gathering would take place, it would be nice to put faces with Avatar names.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Shrimp cocktail, shrimp scampi (top secret recipe), filet mignon, stuffed mushrooms, homemade ravioli, too my desserts to list, a fully stocked bar and of course bubblie for the ball drop. For the most part.

We're of Italian descent.
As a colleague of mine once said at Commander's Palace in New Orleans, "You can never have too many shrimp." :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom