O.T. New Year traditional meals of yours? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

O.T. New Year traditional meals of yours?

Reaction Score
I'm available, if you need another mouth to feed. :rolleyes: As and Italian immigrant myself, New Year's Eve was never a big "family" thing, always with friends...not like Christmas Eve with the feast of the "Seven Fishes", but I know great food when I read about it. ;) Is that "bubblie" Prosecco, Asti Spumante...or both?
We are in Trumbull. We have it at my best friend and his wife's home and its pretty much an open house. We do the "Eve" fish tradition at my cousin's every year.

As for the champagne, it usually varies from year to year,depending on wh brings it. I'm only responsible for the shrimp.lol

Reaction Score
While the welcome and warm glow of the holidays lingers on, New Years Day is fast
approaching. Do you have a traditional meal for NY Day? Any info on the origins?

Our has always been sauerkraut and pork tenderloin due to our mainly (but not only) Germanic
roots. A terrific meal, always enjoyed at home with friends, it is believed to bring good luck for
the new year to the diners.
Great post Winlots. In Pittsburgh if you went to the market two days before New Years Eve the Kielbasa was long gone. My Grandmother made our sauerkraut and during the rest of my entire life I regret eating it because it spoiled any other I've tryed. Hope you and yours have a great New Years and enjoy the Huskies for the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
My wife's family is from South Carolina. Chitlins is what "they" have on New Years. I make sure there is something (anything) else available. Just can't!
My wife had Chitlins for the first time when we went down to Georgia for our son's wedding. She went out of her mind. Even had them for breakfast the next morning. Have a great New Year CocoHusky.

Reaction Score
My wife is an Alabama country girl. She brought quite a few traditions to our New Years day. She makes black eyed peas and cornbread. The peas bring "good luck". She also makes greens which bring "money" . Not sure where it brings it though ;) Also we cannot wash any laundry that day due to the "bad luck" it would bring. I have no idea why , but she is insistent. I know it would be bad luck for me if I tried!. Her parents had some tradition about who could be the first person through the front door. Years ago my parents had corned beef and cabbage or pork roast and sauerkraut.
The greatest thiing about the pork roast was the Hot pork sandwiches the next day. Hey Bama Fan, hope you and the family have a safe New Year's Eve and a wonderful coming year and that we top it off with a National Championship.

Reaction Score
French Canadian Meat Pies , fruit pies, Soup and 3 meat dumplings (phonetically) Put -zin. (by some means a catch all soup like Gumbo but this is more specific--beef, pork, veal ground in dumplings in a chicken type soup) New Years more than Christmas is the Big day. Puerto Rico celebrates 3 kings day for the kids
Origin as far as I know: Is the trappers from the 1600's in New France (from Comete's Maskinonge, St Maurice,)
My Brother in law was REAL German with a touch of Polish--Saure Bratten (spelling is bad) and a dozen others of sauerkraut, beef, etc.
Thanks again
@winlots
Broadway V - hope you and the family have a great New Year. Sounds like you might want to stack up on some Tums.

Reaction Score
As a colleague of mine once said at Commander's Palace in New Orleans, "You can never have too many shrimp." :)
What a great quote. RIght out of "Forest Gump". Have a great New Years Milford Husky and, more importantly, a safe New Years Eve.

Reaction Score
We've pretty much gotten tired of the New Years parties around here so for the past few years our evening has consisted of dinner at Cheesecake Factory (my guilty gastronomic pleasure), a movie and home by 10 pm..........nothing better then watching hundreds of thousands of freezing, drunken tourists in Times Square from under the covers.............

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
We don’t have any traditional meals. This evening I made pho from scratch for the first time. The broth was from the Christmas turkey, flavored with star anise, coriander, cloves, etc. It was mighty good.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Love the exotics, but I come from simple folk. Ham. Almost always ham.

Oddly - we have company and my wife has a cold (always a concern when you are immuno-surpressed) - so instead of our usual New Years Eve (dinner at PF Changs) - we had our New Years Ham. What we are having tomorrow - don't know.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Love the exotics, but I come from simple folk. Ham. Almost always ham.

Oddly - we have company and my wife has a cold (always a concern when you are immuno-surpressed) - so instead of our usual New Years Eve (dinner at PF Changs) - we had our New Years Ham. What we are having tomorrow - don't know.
How about ham croquettes? We always had them after a ham when I was a kid.

Unfortunately, neither my wife nor kid likes ham much. Kid doesn’t even like cheese potatoes or homemade mac and cheese, which is what I pair with ham.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
My (Chinese) wife suggested and executed a new tradition to which I hardily approve:
Mariscada with Egg Sauce....served with Yellow Rice and a simple salad.
Clams, mussels, shrimp (lots), squid and Scallops

It's reputed to be Castilian but there is no recipe on the web for a garlicky white sauce with egg, nor mention of it in standard cookbooks from Spain

It's served in a small group of Greenwich Village restaurants, the most famed El Faro, having gone out of business some years ago. A version I have enjoyed for decades is cooked nightly in Sevilla on Charles St.

It's possibly an invention for foreigners (Americans) that locals have never eaten (but it's delicious).
Examples abound: Chop Suey, Egg Foo Young and Moo Moo Gai Pan are unknown in China and Italians would never put meat balls in spaghetti or sprinkle parmesan on clam sauce (perhaps some barbarians do according to Inspector Montalbano).

My wife reverse engineered the sauce to perfection and improved the dish by cooking each of the seafoods separately (a hint from Bobby Flay).

Highly recommended (very)
The only problem is: there is no reason to go back to our Charles Street abode.

Reaction Score
New Years meals usually consisted of Honey Glazed or just plain ham, Hominy,black eyed peas,collared greens and au gratin potatos. Once we had a break with Chicken Fried Steak. For dessert was usually good old apple pie and ice cream.

Reaction Score
Great post Winlots. In Pittsburgh if you went to the market two days before New Years Eve the Kielbasa was long gone. My Grandmother made our sauerkraut and during the rest of my entire life I regret eating it because it spoiled any other I've tried. Hope you and yours have a great New Years and enjoy the Huskies for the rest of the season.
As Winlots stated the New Years meal ( especially sauerkraut ) is supposed to bring luck throughout the year. Fortunately, I paid attention when my mother made her sauerkraut so I can make it myself. The kraut they make in the states is too sour and no one in my family would ever eat it. We would cook the pork in the Krout. My mother would also make doughnuts and Piroshki's ( they were my favorites ). Of course that required a special dough which she would throw together without measurements which I ( and no one else in our family) could not ever attempt to duplicate.

I will say that I like my version better than the one she made, probably because I adjust it to my taste. There are different types of kraut. One of which is sweet. I sort of combine the two to create a type of sweet and sauer kraut. It is very simple to make.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom