O.T.--CT SUN vs. SKY | The Boneyard

O.T.--CT SUN vs. SKY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anybody see today's game? I got doing other things and forgot about it, but was surprised we couldn't handle the Sky at home, especially without Big Syl...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Apparently the Sun had a lead and blew it in the second half.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The Sun? Are you sure?

They had a nine point lead in the third Q at one point, and then basically wilted for the balance of the game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just got back from the game ...ugh. Sun were going really well and then they say Tina with about 4 minutes left in the 3rd Qtr and proceeded to completely fall apart.
The only good news was that one of the villians in the game was Swin! She hit a couple of threes and another basket during the run.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Very disappointing performance. Sky were getting all the hustle balls, Sun couldn't secure key rebounds.... just a flat performance. Not a good way to head out on a road trip.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The other good news from the game is that Renee seems to be getting her 3-point shot back. She has been quite accurate in the last few games.

There was a comment in the paper by Mike Thibault about Asjha's health status. He said that if this were a playoff game, she could play, but if they play her now, she may not be able to continue to play in the playoffs, so they have no return date in mind. Needless to say, they really miss her. Achilles injuries seem to be almost as difficult to overcome as ACL's -- witness David Ortiz's experience playing Saturday night for the Red Sox after taking more than a month off, and then not being able to play Sunday. Apparently the Sox are about to DL him for the rest of the season.

The New Zealand girl who transferred to UConn from the University of Washington a few years ago, and then decided to go back home, also had an Achilles injury that kept her from practicing the whole time she was in Storrs. Not a good sign for Asjha.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually thought Mike made a mistake in coaching yesterday - he either sat Tina too soon in Q3 or left her out too long. Sun up 9 I think when Tina sat and down 1 when he reinserted her with about 1 minute left in the half. I think he was trying to sit her to the start of the 4th but when the offense and defense went south he should have put her back in sooner.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO the Sun team as currently constructed will not win a WNBA Championship. They'll consistently end up 1st or 2nd in the division and maybe get to the WNBA finals. If the Sun were down 6 to 10 points, who on the Sun roster would you say can take over a game and pull out a win. The Sun have a collection of good players, but they are missing the Go To player that will say we aren't losing this game and puts the team on her back.

Reaction Score
I actually thought Mike made a mistake in coaching yesterday - he either sat Tina too soon in Q3 or left her out too long. Sun up 9 I think when Tina sat and down 1 when he reinserted her with about 1 minute left in the half. I think he was trying to sit her to the start of the 4th but when the offense and defense went south he should have put her back in sooner.

Talking to Pokey afterward, she said as soon as Tina went to the bench one of her assistants was up yelling "they're going small! they're going small!"

At which point they went to a lineup with Swin at the 4, Le'Coe Willingham at the 5, with Prince, Vandersloot and Petrovic/Shay Murphy.

Swin scored 10 in the quarter, Le'Coe 5, and Murphy 5. They outscored the Sun 22-14 in the quarter.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Tina, Asjha, and especially Kara Lawson all have the ability to do that. At this point, I would look most to Lawson because of her combination of experience and good health. Even Alison Hightower recently has looked as if she might do that (including yesterday).

Earlier this year, when the Sun had Asjha and Atlanta had McCoughtry, the Sun won a game in Atlanta where they never led until the last-second shot that won the game. They are capable of doing that.

Even the best teams in the WNBA have bad games. The Sun have had two of them since Asjha has been out of the lineup (against New York and Chicago). I think that shows how critical a piece of the puzzle Asjha is. I don't think that the Sun can contend for a championship without her. Even with her, it's hard to say that they are clearly superior to Minnesota, LA, or even Indiana -- but they are capable of being at the same level.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
JoePgh - agree with you. Mimms and Griffen are the replacements for Asjha and while both are decent players, neither of them wants to 'take the open shot' - I could see that at yesterdays game - so teams can double and triple Tina and not worry about that 15' jumper. And while I really like Jessica, she is not as good at filling in for Tina when she needs a rest.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As an addendum to Joe's post, the West is going to be WILD. Seattle is not only healthy, but they got Lauren AND Ann Wauters back from the Olympics, and neither was there during the first half. If i were Minny, i'd be rooting for Seattle to overtake San Antonio for 3rd as I believe the Storm have the parts to take out anyone in the West now that they are healthy.

I think the Sun have a very good team. I think everyone on here thinks that too. But they are solid and workmanlike - more blue collar to my eyes - than Minny, who seems to be able to score from everywhere at any time. Not saying the Sun (or Fever) can't win it all, but if I were to place bets, I'd say that 3 of the top 4 teams in the West might be better than any of the teams in the East... I'd love to see Seattle play the Sun and Fever now that they are 100%... - and I agree the Sun won't win without Ashja.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think part of what is so impressive with MN and soon to be with Seattle is the strength on the bench. You need 40+ minutes from your bench in every game and the players coming in for MN especially are really strong. Don't really know the bench for LA or SA but certainly the Sun do not seem to have that level of talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom