O------NO | Page 2 | The Boneyard

O------NO

Reaction Score
I disagree that the UConn coaching staff are great teachers, especially with ONO. It drives me nuts that ONO - when setting a screen - invariably spins the wrong way, that is, she doesn't 'open up' to the ball thereby becoming less of a target and losing vision on the ball. This is BASIC basketball. Moreover, she gets poor position on offensive rebounds and if she is lucky enough to get one, she brings the ball down instead of keeping it high like Miss State's McCowan for the putback. There's more...

Reaction Score
I disagree that the UConn coaching staff are great teachers, especially with ONO. It drives me nuts that ONO - when setting a screen - invariably spins the wrong way, that is, she doesn't 'open up' to the ball thereby becoming less of a target and losing vision on the ball. This is BASIC basketball. Moreover, she gets poor position on offensive rebounds and if she is lucky enough to get one, she brings the ball down instead of keeping it high like Miss State's McCowan for the putback. There's more...

1552344253050.png

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

If you watch footage from November compared to footage from the past few games, you’ll see how far they’ve come with her this year. It’s impossible to undo YEARS of bad habits overnight, which is why UConn freshmen typically see minimal playing time.

If she’s still bringing the ball down and spinning the wrong way as we’re leading up to the 2022 tournament, I might agree with you.**

**ETA - Agree with you that they weren’t good teachers for her. Their overall resume speaks for itself.

Reaction Score
If you watch footage from November compared to footage from the past few games, you’ll see how far they’ve come with her this year. It’s impossible to undo YEARS of bad habits overnight, which is why UConn freshmen typically see minimal playing time.

If she’s still bringing the ball down and spinning the wrong way as we’re leading up to the 2022 tournament, I might agree with you.**

**ETA - Agree with you that they weren’t good teachers for her. Their overall resume speaks for itself.

Reaction Score
Why did it take an injury to KLS to get meaningful minutes for ONO and her tourney record 17 rebounds .. it was pretty obvious to anyone with an eye for basketball that she needed minutes to develop her off-the-charts potential .. wuss up wit dat?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Why did it take an injury to KLS to get meaningful minutes for ONO and her tourney record 17 rebounds .. it was pretty obvious to anyone with an eye for basketball that she needed minutes to develop her off-the-charts potential .. wuss up wit dat?

Because she does dumb stuff like turns the wrong way when she sets screens and brings the ball down.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

You do realize you're talking about two HOF coaches who've been at it for 34 years, and have won more NCAA D-I national championships than any other coaching tandem in men's or women's college BB history? But they're not great teachers.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am curious and I imagine some of our BY operatives would know about the wing span comparison of ONO with Stewie?

Reaction Score
You do realize you're talking about two HOF coaches who've been at it for 34 years, and have won more NCAA D-I national championships than any other coaching tandem in men's or women's college BB history? But they're not great teachers.

Reaction Score
You tell me .. the proof is in the pudding, n'est-ce pas?

Reaction Score

With ONO, those "meaningful minutes" could only happen if she stays off them fouls. Yesterday's game, she sat for awhile and managed to play for 20 minutes. Funny thing about "minutes", fouls get in the way of them.

Reaction Score
With ONO, those "meaningful minutes" could only happen if she stays off them fouls. Yesterday's game, she sat for awhile and managed to play for 20 minutes. Funny thing about "minutes", fouls get in the way of them.

Reaction Score
C'mon .. it wasn't foul trouble that kept her on the bench .. she just didn't get opportunities, eh?

Reaction Score
Geno's record and ONO's fundamentals are two different issues .. I see improvement in her drop-step but not in pick-n-roll basics .. and the latter is more important, eh?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Geno's record and ONO's fundamentals are two different issues .. I see improvement in her drop-step but not in pick-n-roll basics .. and the latter is more important, eh?

Your premise was that the coaching staff are not great teachers. It's more than appropriate to counter that notion with their overall record, which is the best ever in women's college BB at the highest level of competition. They must have taught most of their players pretty damn well during the past 34 years.

Now you choose to try and distinguish that position by creating a strawman argument that their record has nothing to do with ONO's lack of development. As for your argument, she's still a freshman who's had limited opportunities for playing time this season. If you want to suggest she's behind where she should be in her development because of that, fine, however it's pretty difficult to buy your argument that Geno and Chris are not great teachers based on their overall record. They've apparently managed to effectively teach the hundreds of players that have worn the national flag blue and white under their watch for 34 years, and they will succeed in teaching ONO what she needs to become more effective and successful at her position. With freshmen it takes time and experience. She's obviously much improved with increased playing time recently. She may even improve to your satisfaction regarding the pick-and-roll basics you mention at some point. That improvement may come fairly soon now that she has firmly cemented herself as part of a seven player rotation.

I'll agree to disagree with you regarding the teaching capabilities of Geno, Chris and the coaching staff, with no further comment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom