O------NO | The Boneyard

O------NO

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Look at what Geno and the coaching staff has accomplished with ONO. Look at the post players who went elsewhere and see where ONO is in just a few weeks. The UConn defense has changed. The UConn offense has changed. Opponents cant just drive the lane with ONO in the game. Shes a very long shot blocker. So now what? A few days ago fans were concerned with Lou out. Look how much better UConn is now. All the drama and look now. UConn is gonna be a tuff out.

We will see tonite if we continue the growth. I expect a very physical game tonite and I also expect a very tight called game tonite. Walker and Williams looked much better yesterday not deferrring so much to Phessa, espeically in the second half. CW looked for her shot and thats exactly what we need moving forward.

The development of our underclassman has been terrific over the past few weeks and theyve picked up with Lou out. What happens now? We are a different team with ONO underneath. Her presence changes the game.

Im really excited to see tonites game. We are confident and poised. We are looking and playing like the UConn. The NCAA committee will have us in Albany. IMO the top 4 seeds are Baylor UConn ND Miss St Stanford Oregon Iowa and NC State are your 2 seeds. I would guess Oregon in Portland, Iowa in Chicago, NC State in Greensboro, and Stanford in Albany. The NCAA has to put fannies in the seats and I would guess they have to have teams close to home that would draw.

Reaction Score
Every thing you say is true. UConn coaching staff are great teachers. I would like to give Olivia 50 per cent of that effort because no matter how good the teacher is, it takes a student to dig down and apply what is taught. Kudos to both. But there is a lot more toughness and dedication within Olivia than we have seen. I would bet that we will see a much more aggressive and polished Olivia, the more she is given the opportunity to perform and lead.

Reaction Score
Look at what Geno and the coaching staff has accomplished with ONO. Look at the post players who went elsewhere and see where ONO is in just a few weeks. The UConn defense has changed. The UConn offense has changed. Opponents cant just drive the lane with ONO in the game. Shes a very long shot blocker. So now what? A few days ago fans were concerned with Lou out. Look how much better UConn is now. All the drama and look now. UConn is gonna be a tuff out.

We will see tonite if we continue the growth. I expect a very physical game tonite and I also expect a very tight called game tonite. Walker and Williams looked much better yesterday not deferrring so much to Phessa, espeically in the second half. CW looked for her shot and thats exactly what we need moving forward.

The development of our underclassman has been terrific over the past few weeks and theyve picked up with Lou out. What happens now? We are a different team with ONO underneath. Her presence changes the game.

Im really excited to see tonites game. We are confident and poised. We are looking and playing like the UConn. The NCAA committee will have us in Albany. IMO the top 4 seeds are Baylor UConn ND Miss St Stanford Oregon Iowa and NC State are your 2 seeds. I would guess Oregon in Portland, Iowa in Chicago, NC State in Greensboro, and Stanford in Albany. The NCAA has to put fannies in the seats and I would guess they have to have teams close to home that would draw.
Louisville is a 2, likely in Albany.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Agree with all the Kudos for Liv...I see Her most dramatic improvements are in two areas...Basketball IQ has increased dramatically she understands what is happening out there and what she needs to do...Second her positioning on offense, defense, rebounding also has steadily improved...

She always had great balance and athleticism combined with her on court presence she is effective...

Having Phessa out there drawing attention all the time helps too...

Reaction Score
Olivia has become much more disciplined in her defense. In the first half yesterday I'd have sworn she was a UCONN upperclassmen...especially when she was tipping rebounds to teammates. Once the game was out of hand, she relaxed a little bit...and we saw a bit of that raw freshman that she now has in the bottle.

On offense, she's got the foot speed and agility to be a major force. We've only begun to see flashes so far...can't wait for more!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Liv has made some big strides this season, which shouldn’t surprise us given those long athletic legs she possesses. In Liv’s interviews I have really been impressed at how thoughtful, poised and intelligent she is. When you combine that with CD’s ability as one of the very best teachers in the game of basketball, Liv’s improvement is not really a surprise.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

I agree Tony except that I would moderate a bit.
They're still frosh.
It's the potential for the future that I see.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A couple of quotes - so to speak.

Geno's comments after yesterday's game were very telling. Lou being out has afforded Olivia, Megan and Christyn to step up their games. And they have. He also said that younger players have a tendency to defer to the older, senior players like Phee, Lou and Chrystal. In this latest stretch of games, no time to defer to anyone.

And, at this time of year they're not freshman anymore.

So as stated by Tony, this is not the same UConn team of a week ago who struggled against USF. Lou returns for the NCAA's. The outside threat is back. The inside/ out offense returns. The potential of all five starters scoring in double figures returns. Add a post defense and shot blocker to the mix and life can be very difficult for the opposition. I'll add in Mikayla's play that gives us a 7 man rotation - a Geno norm.

Reaction Score
Every thing you say is true. UConn coaching staff are great teachers. I would like to give Olivia 50 per cent of that effort because no matter how good the teacher is, it takes a student to dig down and apply what is taught. Kudos to both. But there is a lot more toughness and dedication within Olivia than we have seen. I would bet that we will see a much more aggressive and polished Olivia, the more she is given the opportunity to perform and lead.

I agree, good students make good teachers look great. CD is the leading culprit in ONO's advancement. CD is a cheerleader/mother type that gives encouragement and tough love.
ONO has jumped (realistic) a light year from November and CD has only touched the surface.

Reaction Score
A couple of quotes - so to speak.

Geno's comments after yesterday's game were very telling. Lou being out has afforded Olivia, Megan and Christyn to step up their games. And they have. He also said that younger players have a tendency to defer to the older, senior players like Phee, Lou and Chrystal. In this latest stretch of games, no time to defer to anyone.

And, at this time of year they're not freshman anymore.

So as stated by Tony, this is not the same UConn team of a week ago who struggled against USF. Lou returns for the NCAA's. The outside threat is back. The inside/ out offense returns. The potential of all five starters scoring in double figures returns. Add a post defense and shot blocker to the mix and life can be very difficult for the opposition. I'll add in Mikayla's play that gives us a 7 man rotation - a Geno norm.

It is evident in the games ONO played her presence is intimidating and she is a game changer. The key to success is to keep ONO from fouling out. No ONO and the opponent are not defended as well. She allows the 4 to defend more one on one while she picks up those who get by much like KIAH had done. M. Coombs is jewel in the rough. Her defense one on one is extraordinary if only her shooting follows her intensity..

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

OH ONO Overnight theres been a breathless change in you. OH ONO...……..

Reaction Score
Agree with all the Kudos for Liv...I see Her most dramatic improvements are in two areas...Basketball IQ has increased dramatically she understands what is happening out there and what she needs to do...Second her positioning on offense, defense, rebounding also has steadily improved...

She always had great balance and athleticism combined with her on court presence she is effective...

Having Phessa out there drawing attention all the time helps too...

I think it's having ONO out there drawing attention now helps Pheesa!

Huge change in this team from the beginning, even the mid-point, in the season.

I think her improvement outstrips even that achieved by Walker from last year to this.

Reaction Score
I'm a big ONO fan and I'm still surprised at the improvement over the last 3 or so weeks. She's got the size and the moves. When she develops a mid-range shot she will be very tough to guard and will begin to dominate games. She will be an All American by the time she graduates.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I like what #50 said yesterday after the game, especially the part where she said that Liv gives us something that we didn't have in the game against Baylor and that is size in the paint. She stated that it is a game changer if we should meet up again in the tourney.

Reaction Score
I was waiting to hear someone say what really makes ONO special: her hands. When she latches onto the ball it stays latched. She also has the shot blocker's uncanny ability to know where to expect the ball to be coming out of the shooter's hand. It's that anticipation, that ability to expect what is yet unseen that makes blocks possible. She'll need to add some bulk if possible and muscle in order to contend with some of the mountains at the 5. But we've watched the great Napheesa use her agility to side-step and step back against larger opponents to get her shot off. Coupled with the foot speed, I like ONO's chances to be special. The best is yet to come.

Reaction Score
One more thing Olivia has: really decent hops. You can see it in @dannykuconn 's photos from the ECU game (AAC Quarterfinals UConn Game Photos 2019).

Credit: Danny K
54431892_2267723046619276_8061506099645251584_o.jpg

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I would like to see Liv take more 15-17 ft shots. she has a nice stroke and can put them in. If they play up on her she can drive by them to the hoop. This will help free up Pheesa too.

This will come with time and confidence.

Reaction Score
Olivia has become much more disciplined in her defense. In the first half yesterday I'd have sworn she was a UCONN upperclassmen...especially when she was tipping rebounds to teammates. Once the game was out of hand, she relaxed a little bit...and we saw a bit of that raw freshman that she now has in the bottle.

On offense, she's got the foot speed and agility to be a major force. We've only begun to see flashes so far...can't wait for more!
Pheesa is her mentor. Couldn’t find a better one.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom