NYT article on Coach K | The Boneyard

NYT article on Coach K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with what Coach K said to Brooks... he's always teaching and I like that. He also praised Brooks in the presser.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
This is one of those events that might show the true character of Coach K (sore loser, tries to protect his image), but it really is a making a mountain out of a mole hill.

The article starts off as though its going to air some dirty laundry on K, and then trails off into nothing basically.

Also the writer couldnt even be bothered to point out that Brogdon didnt have the facts completely straight -
“When you have the ball and the shot clock is off and it’s just the time running down, you don’t shoot the ball,” he said. Does it matter that the shot clock wasn't off?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I think he should spend more time teaching his own players about sportsmanship. What did he say to Grayson Allen that didn't convince the kid not to trip opponents again? Coach K. always tries to portray himself (and the media does as well) as the ultimate authority on "doing things the right way" but clearly he doesn't walk on water either.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with what Coach K said to Brooks... he's always teaching and I like that. He also praised Brooks in the presser.

I doubt he was doing it to teach anyone anything. He was doing it because he lost and he is a sore loser.

Sure, Brooks was acting cocky. I have no issue w/ the shot, it was the celebration afterwards and then trying to "hug" Grayson Allen (who is a punk, but should get credit here for just walking away).

If K really wanted to have his teaching moment, maybe he should have taught by example and done nothing. If he were truly able to win or lose with grace he would have simply shook everyone's hands and walked away.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think he should spend more time teaching his own players about sportsmanship. What did he say to Grayson Allen that didn't convince the kid not to trip opponents again? Coach K. always tries to portray himself (and the media does as well) as the ultimate authority on "doing things the right way" but clearly he doesn't walk on water either.

This, 1000%. His player has tripped opposing players THREE TIMES this year, yet there's no discipline from him. Makes everything he says on the issue ring hollow.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Friend of mine, fellow puke hater, sent me this (from Jason McCallum):

There were 7 instances this season in which a dook* starter took a shot in the final 45 seconds when the dook* lead was at least 15 points...
With an 80-65 lead and 20 seconds left in game vs Florida State on February 25, Grayson Allen (starter) took a 3-pointer (missed)
With a 79-58 lead and 10 seconds left in game vs Virginia Tech on January 9, Matt Jones (starter) took a 3-pointer (made)
With a 91-75 lead and 11 seconds left in game at Wake Forest on January 6, Matt Jones (starter) took a 3-pointer (missed)
With a 100-81 lead with 9 seconds left in game vs Long Beach State on December 30, Matt Jones (starter) took a 3-pointer (made)
With an 85-50 lead with 43 seconds left in game vs Utah State on November 29, Brandon Ingram (starter) took a jumper (missed)
With an 80-60 lead with 40 seconds left in game vs Yale on November 25, Brandon Ingram (starter) took a 3-pointer (missed)
With a 92-71 lead with 29 seconds left in game vs Siena on November 13, Brandon Ingram (starter) took a jumper (missed)

Coach K needs to mind his own P&Qs

Reaction Score
Friend of mine, fellow puke hater, sent me this (from Jason McCallum):

There were 7 instances this season in which a dook* starter took a shot in the final 45 seconds when the dook* lead was at least 15 points...
With an 80-65 lead and 20 seconds left in game vs Florida State on February 25, Grayson Allen (starter) took a 3-pointer (missed)
With a 79-58 lead and 10 seconds left in game vs Virginia Tech on January 9, Matt Jones (starter) took a 3-pointer (made)
With a 91-75 lead and 11 seconds left in game at Wake Forest on January 6, Matt Jones (starter) took a 3-pointer (missed)
With a 100-81 lead with 9 seconds left in game vs Long Beach State on December 30, Matt Jones (starter) took a 3-pointer (made)
With an 85-50 lead with 43 seconds left in game vs Utah State on November 29, Brandon Ingram (starter) took a jumper (missed)
With an 80-60 lead with 40 seconds left in game vs Yale on November 25, Brandon Ingram (starter) took a 3-pointer (missed)
With a 92-71 lead with 29 seconds left in game vs Siena on November 13, Brandon Ingram (starter) took a jumper (missed)

Coach K needs to mind his own P&Qs

Wow I can't believe a writer has not grabbed a hold of this?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Wow I can't believe a writer has not grabbed a hold of this?

Sorry, on edit, Jason McCallum (@jmacsc) is a senior researcher for SportsCenter. My friend shared Jason's info with me.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
People seem shocked that K isn't a saint. He clearly has an issue with graciousness in defeat. He is control freak of the first order and probably has OCD. He is also old and has always been a strict guy going back to his tutelage in the Army and under Bobby Knight. It's also not the first time these flaws have been on display.

He is what he is. Unfortunately, we may have reached the point in pop culture where he begins to get torn down. I'm predicting NCAA violations will start coming out in the next couple years as the benefits maintaining the veil decline.

Reaction Score
People seem shocked that K isn't a saint. He clearly has an issue with graciousness in defeat. He is control freak of the first order and probably has OCD. He is also old and has always been a strict guy going back to his tutelage in the Army and under Bobby Knight. It's also not the first time these flaws have been on display.

He is what he is. Unfortunately, we may have reached the point in pop culture where he begins to get torn down. I'm predicting NCAA violations will start coming out in the next couple years as the benefits maintaining the veil decline.

No one has flaws and I doubt anyone here is shocked he's not a saint nor would we expect him to be. This thread is mainly due to the fact he did little to nothing about his own guy tripping everyone but himself over this season yet he has the gall to stop a kid in line for shooting a 3 with the shot clock running out and tell him "it's not like him" or whatever. Merely pointing out the man himself is a hypocrite and lied about it until he was exposed. Nothing more, nothing less.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I doubt he was doing it to teach anyone anything. He was doing it because he lost and he is a sore loser.

Sure, Brooks was acting cocky. I have no issue w/ the shot, it was the celebration afterwards and then trying to "hug" Grayson Allen (who is a punk, but should get credit here for just walking away).

If K really wanted to have his teaching moment, maybe he should have taught by example and done nothing. If he were truly able to win or lose with grace he would have simply shook everyone's hands and walked away.

100% agree with every word in here.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He's a bit over the line talking to another coaches player like that, but in the heat of the moment what can you do.

He's a scumbag for lying and making people question the kids word.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Apparently Coach K has a history of doing this. 2007 after losing to VT.

For Virginia Tech, a 69-67 overtime upset of then-No. 5 Duke - the program's first win at Cameron Indoor Stadium - was reason to celebrate.

Or was it?

Zabian Dowdell, who had 20 points and five steals, told The Roanoke Times that after the game, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski scolded him for celebrating.

"He just told me I'm too classy of a guy to be carrying on like that," said Dowdell, who reportedly bumped chests with a teammate and "popped his jersey in front of the Cameron Crazies," according to the Times.

On Monday's ACC teleconference, Roanoke Times reporter Mark Berman attempted to bring it up, but was interrupted by Krzyzewski - repeatedly.

"I understand you did speak to Zabian Dowdell about how he was celebrating," Berman started.

"No, no, I just congratulated him," Krzyzewski said. "I respect the heck out of him. He's a great kid and that's enough said. He was fabulous. That's the main message that was made."

"He said ... "

"That's all I'm going to say about it because I admire the kid and I admire the program and it was a [great] win for them and I'll say that forever."

"You ... "

"That's all I'm going to say about it," Krzyzewski said.

"What I say to players is always said with the greatest deal of respect because I respect our opponents immensely and the kids who are playing the game."

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Apparently Coach K has a history of doing this. 2007 after losing to VT.

For Virginia Tech, a 69-67 overtime upset of then-No. 5 Duke - the program's first win at Cameron Indoor Stadium - was reason to celebrate.

Or was it?

Zabian Dowdell, who had 20 points and five steals, told The Roanoke Times that after the game, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski scolded him for celebrating.

"He just told me I'm too classy of a guy to be carrying on like that," said Dowdell, who reportedly bumped chests with a teammate and "popped his jersey in front of the Cameron Crazies," according to the Times.

On Monday's ACC teleconference, Roanoke Times reporter Mark Berman attempted to bring it up, but was interrupted by Krzyzewski - repeatedly.

"I understand you did speak to Zabian Dowdell about how he was celebrating," Berman started.

"No, no, I just congratulated him," Krzyzewski said. "I respect the heck out of him. He's a great kid and that's enough said. He was fabulous. That's the main message that was made."

"He said ... "

"That's all I'm going to say about it because I admire the kid and I admire the program and it was a [great] win for them and I'll say that forever."

"You ... "

"That's all I'm going to say about it," Krzyzewski said.

"What I say to players is always said with the greatest deal of respect because I respect our opponents immensely and the kids who are playing the game."
Translation: Coach K does not appreciate being questioned.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The issue is that Coach K lied, said he didn't exactly what he later admitted to doing. How come he isn't getting crushed for this?

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

My issues:
1) I hate Duke and therefore hit Coach K with collateral hate
2) Coach K should not have lied at the presser. If he wanted to keep the conversation private, he could have said, "That's between us."
3) See point 1

Reaction Score
This is one of those events that might show the true character of Coach K (sore loser, tries to protect his image), but it really is a making a mountain out of a mole hill.
I keep seeing this narrative, and it's ridiculous.

You know why it's been made a big deal? Because Coach K inexplicably lied about it...and in doing so, he called a 20-year-old a liar.

He deserves way more criticism than he's gotten so far.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
@UConn990411 I guess I meant more of the specific incident of speaking to Brooks in the handshake line. A lot of people seem to be focusing on this specifically and I don't think it's that big of a deal.

In the grand scheme of things it is one more incident that shows Coach K is manipulative and a sore loser. If people want to take him to task for this, have at it. But if people are just going to write article after article about him scolding Brooks it is getting old.

Reaction Score
@UConn990411 I guess I meant more of the specific incident of speaking to Brooks in the handshake line. A lot of people seem to be focusing on this specifically and I don't think it's that big of a deal.

In the grand scheme of things it is one more incident that shows Coach K is manipulative and a sore loser. If people want to take him to task for this, have at it. But if people are just going to write article after article about him scolding Brooks it is getting old.

See I don't think the attention it has gotten is undeserved, specifically because of the Grayson Allen situation throughout the year. He made a decision to stand by Grayson and pretend he was doing nothing wrong, had never done anything wrong, and there would be no reason for he or anyone to speak to him or suspend/sit him for a game to send a message. If K hadn't had this situation with Grayson being clearly an awful sportsman, trying to trip people which can easily cause injury, I think this whole sending a message in the handshake line wouldn't have been a big story. The problem is that he isn't this all-knowing, faultless bastion of purity in the basketball world, so he needs to sit down rather than telling other kids to be better sportsmen.

It disgusted people like me, because K refused to even acknowledge that Allen was tripping people, he said the only reason that got any attention is because people hate Duke and want to find reasons to complain about them. That was a very real situation, and the kid continued to trip people, and he's the only one doing it!!! It isn't as though every team has a guy or two that tries to do this all the time and everyone just plays on, this is Grayson's thing and if anyone did it to him Coach K would blow a gasket, saying people were 'targeting' his players and asking for swift justice from the NCAA.

What to you is more damaging to the sport and the people who are playing it, a kid hitting a shot that cemented a big win over arguably the best program in basketball and celebrating a bit over the top once... or a kid repeatedly tripping his opponents and not being punished or truly reprimanded about it?

Personally, I don't think a kid is ever too talented to celebrate after winning a big game, but I do think kids can be too talented to play the game by in essence attacking their opponents

Reaction Score
See I don't think the attention it has gotten is undeserved, specifically because of the Grayson Allen situation throughout the year. He made a decision to stand by Grayson and pretend he was doing nothing wrong, had never done anything wrong, and there would be no reason for he or anyone to speak to him or suspend/sit him for a game to send a message. If K hadn't had this situation with Grayson being clearly an awful sportsman, trying to trip people which can easily cause injury, I think this whole sending a message in the handshake line wouldn't have been a big story. The problem is that he isn't this all-knowing, faultless bastion of purity in the basketball world, so he needs to sit down rather than telling other kids to be better sportsmen.

It disgusted people like me, because K refused to even acknowledge that Allen was tripping people, he said the only reason that got any attention is because people hate Duke and want to find reasons to complain about them. That was a very real situation, and the kid continued to trip people, and he's the only one doing it!!! It isn't as though every team has a guy or two that tries to do this all the time and everyone just plays on, this is Grayson's thing and if anyone did it to him Coach K would blow a gasket, saying people were 'targeting' his players and asking for swift justice from the NCAA.

What to you is more damaging to the sport and the people who are playing it, a kid hitting a shot that cemented a big win over arguably the best program in basketball and celebrating a bit over the top once... or a kid repeatedly tripping his opponents and not being punished or truly reprimanded about it?
You are absolutely right. Coach K is a self-righteous sore loser. What he said to Brooks had nothing to do with teaching and everything to do with his own emotions due to the outcome of the game. Who is he to say anything to an opposing player when his own has been one of the worst all season long?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

The Rat is manipulative and a sore loser
He is a proven liar and hypocrite
He has the press wrapped around his fingers and they are afraid to be critical or controversial with him (the Obama school of media management - they are made for each other)
His dealings with the refs are at time immature and comical as well as borderline insane
OK?
AND he had no right speaking to another team's player when he has DBs on his own team that he overlooks their pitiful acts

Reaction Score
K does not take losing well and I guess he has to be admired for his passion, but he's never going to be chastised by the media because they consider him somewhere between a King and a God in college hoop, leaning toward God.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom