NY Post: WVU set to leave, loss could lead to collapse of Big East | The Boneyard

NY Post: WVU set to leave, loss could lead to collapse of Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/colleg...leave_big_east_for_big_aS3e4cF01Oc4fAyQ6qlw4O

West Virginia to leave Big East for Big 12
By LENN ROBBINS Last Updated: 8:49 AM, October 25, 2011

"The Big East Football Conference's survival as a league with BCS automatic-qualifier status is about to take a serious hit because the Big 12 has lined up West Virginia to replace Missouri, The Post has learned."

"Initially the league was hoping it could survive by inviting Air Force, Boise State, Central Florida, Houston, Navy and SMU. But if the league also must replace West Virginia along with Pittsburgh, Syracuse and TCU, the Big East must look at Temple and perhaps Army. "

"Of all the schools the league has lost, from a football standpoint losing West Virginia would be the most damaging," a source told The Post. "Despite what anyone says, that's the program the league has hung its hat on."

"Of course, the Big East faces a bigger problem. If Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse and West Virginia are all headed elsewhere, whether it be in one or two years, Big East Football Conference would probably collapse, leaving the exit penalties moot."

Reaction Score
I have said it before in my other posts...but if Robbins' info is true WVU to the B-12 will be the kill shot for BE football!

Reaction Score
Still hard to separate factvfrom fiction/opinion, but the drumbeat for WVU over UofL seems to be growing.

This would lock the Big 12 into moving eastward if they ever get to 12. The infill logically would come from L'ville, maybe cincy.

Reaction Score
The Big East collapsed last month when Syracuse and Pitt bolted.

I suspect Louisville is next. This also may force Notre Dame to make a move (although maybe not), and if they do that's generally good news for UConn.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Another major casualty in all of this news: the 'Occupy Heinz Field' movement tomorrow night.

Sabotaging that protest is a crime against America, doggone it...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So if this is true, the Big XII still has the 27 month problem to contend with. The easiest solution might be to go to 12 teams and invite Cincy and Louisville, thus triggering the collapse of the football league altogether, and setting all those schools free.

We've know for some time that Mizzou was a domino, likely to cause further repercussions. Hopefully the eventual fallout will work out for UConn.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
So if this is true, the Big XII still has the 27 month problem to contend with. The easiest solution might be to go to 12 teams and invite Cincy and Louisville, thus triggering the collapse of the football league altogether, and setting all those schools free.

We've know for some time that Mizzou was a domino, likely to cause further repercussions. Hopefully the eventual fallout will work out for UConn.

my hope is that the b12 goes for the major kill. takes lville/cincy as well. mizzu goes to the sec and the sec grabs 2 more for 16 from the acc. then the acc grabs uconn/ruty for 14 and waits on nd who is just about at the point where they have to make a move. #16 in this case i would guess would be temple becuase the phili mk/good fit geog/bball ready and not a dud in fball now.

Reaction Score
my hope is that the b12 goes for the major kill. takes lville/cincy as well. mizzu goes to the sec and the sec grabs 2 more for 16 from the acc. then the acc grabs uconn/ruty for 14 and waits on nd who is just about at the point where they have to make a move. #16 in this case i would guess would be temple becuase the phili mk/good fit geog/bball ready and not a dud in fball now.

LOL. The ACC is not taking Temple in my lifetime. They would "stick" on an odd number before they did that.

Reaction Score
I am holding out on the fact that things never seem to go the way that is predicted by all these "experts" with all the inside sources.

There are still a few surprises to come.

Does Missouri really want to commit to being in the SEC East with division games in Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, along with Vandy, Kentucky and Tennessee? Their natural rivals are all in the West with Arkansas, A&M and nearby teams with the Mississippi River connection (LSU, Miss St. and Ole Miss). Bottom line is that the current eastern teams in the SEC don't want to travel to Missouri every other year.

I have no doubt the SEC is working other angles to alleviate the travel issues of Missouri in the east. The changes will not be complete when Missouri goes to the SEC and WVU or Louiville go to the B-12. Hopefully UConn is in the next round of changes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

They have 38 months. The 27 months from the BE contract plus the 12 months because they plan to hold on to Missouri until 2012.

The author is just creating a variation of what was written by Blaudchin and CBS and he isn't even making sense. How is the B12 going to "hold on" to Missou until 2012?

I would consider this article a fumble by the author and a BE recovery.

Reaction Score
They have 38 months. The 27 months from the BE contract plus the 12 months because they plan to hold on to Missouri until 2012.

The author is just creating a variation of what was written by Blaudchin and CBS and he isn't even making sense. How is the B12 going to "hold on" to Missou until 2012?

I would consider this article a fumble by the author and a BE recovery.
I thought it to be a re-hash of others, nothing new, just a reason to stick it to the Pitt Prez.

Reaction Score
Even though we've currently drawn the short straw with respect to wins against WVU, I wish that we were joined at the hip with them & the Big-12 just take all of the Big East leftovers. While it doesn't make geographical sense, I'd much rather be aligned with teams that WANTED us, than the carpetbaggers who left us out to die on the vine. The Big-12 has the more historic & prestigeous football teams & their basketball league could use the jolt of UConn, Louisville, & WVU. UConn has played some historic games in hoops against Texas & OU. The UConn women have had great games against OU & Baylor. It would delicious slice of irony, the 2 supposedly doomed conferences would simply merge & become the BEST overall conference.

Reaction Score
Without WVU the BE FB conference likely collapses. If Louisville and/or Cincy go as well then that is the end for sure. No reason for the B12 to want to merge with the leftover BE FB schools. The leftovers would not add as much as paying them a full share would cost so the B12 will stay at 10 or 12. Same with the ACC. If BE FB goes away there is no incentive for the ACC to add any NE schools because the leftover schools will see their FB decline and soon after that their BB will follow suit unless the Catholic BE BB conference is made to work. Ditto for the B1G, no real reason to add anyone in the NE, same analysis as for the B12 and ACC. Bottom line, no reason for ACC, B12 or B1G to add any schools to try to eliminate competition because once the BE FB conference is gone there will be no effective competition.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The WVU move was obvous;y known ever since the SEC story that it was either Missouri or WVU and the Commissner Slive would negotiate.

I think the B12 is like the ACC. Lousiville and UConn are in Pray Harder mode as "the last team in" praying harder that the religious schools, BYU or Notre Dame respectively, choose a B12 and ACC invite.

Pray Harder to Touchdown Jesus and say a Hail Mary that ND goes to the ACC.

Cincy means the B12 is on tilt. There' no justification for a Yankee team that weak.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Without WVU the BE FB conference likely collapses. If Louisville and/or Cincy go as well then that is the end for sure. No reason for the B12 to want to merge with the leftover BE FB schools. The leftovers would not add as much as paying them a full share would cost so the B12 will stay at 10 or 12. Same with the ACC. If BE FB goes away there is no incentive for the ACC to add any NE schools because the leftover schools will see their FB decline and soon after that their BB will follow suit unless the Catholic BE BB conference is made to work. Ditto for the B1G, no real reason to add anyone in the NE, same analysis as for the B12 and ACC. Bottom line, no reason for ACC, B12 or B1G to add any schools to try to eliminate competition because once the BE FB conference is gone there will be no effective competition.

Actually, this is bad news for the ACC as well as UConn. The ACC went from being one of the surviving 4 BCS leagues to clearly the weakest of 5 BCS leagues, especially if Louisville and Cincinnati join the Big 12. Syracuse and Pitt, despite Syracuse's upset last week, are both likely finishing with losing records in a mediocre Big East, and neither brings any market other than two dying industrial cities whose best days were two turns of the century ago.

New York is still wide open for any of the real BCS leagues because Syracuse has little fan base in the Big Apple, and any league that grabbed UConn and Rutgers would dominate NYC and put the ACC on death watch as the next BCS league to get torn apart.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
This leaves UConn and Rutgers as the BE Football remainders. The rest (Lousiville, Cincy ad USF) are from C-USA anyway.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The WVU move was obvous;y known ever since the SEC story that it was either Missouri or WVU and the Commissner Slive would negotiate.

I think the B12 is like the ACC. Lousiville and UConn are in Pray Harder mode as "the last team in" praying harder that the religious schools, BYU or Notre Dame respectively, choose a B12 and ACC invite.

Pray Harder to Touchdown Jesus and say a Hail Mary that ND goes to the ACC.

Cincy means the B12 is on tilt. There' no justification for a Yankee team that weak.

I think BYU has intentionally or unintentionally taken themselves out of the mix. By all accounts they are near impossible to negotiate with. Nothing has happened to ND to change their position on independence. They just need a home for basketball and the Olympic sports. The ACC has pushed ND to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/colleg...leave_big_east_for_big_aS3e4cF01Oc4fAyQ6qlw4O

West Virginia to leave Big East for Big 12
By LENN ROBBINS Last Updated: 8:49 AM, October 25, 2011

"The Big East Football Conference's survival as a league with BCS automatic-qualifier status is about to take a serious hit because the Big 12 has lined up West Virginia to replace Missouri, The Post has learned."

"Initially the league was hoping it could survive by inviting Air Force, Boise State, Central Florida, Houston, Navy and SMU. But if the league also must replace West Virginia along with Pittsburgh, Syracuse and TCU, the Big East must look at Temple and perhaps Army. "

"Of all the schools the league has lost, from a football standpoint losing West Virginia would be the most damaging," a source told The Post. "Despite what anyone says, that's the program the league has hung its hat on."

"Of course, the Big East faces a bigger problem. If Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse and West Virginia are all headed elsewhere, whether it be in one or two years, Big East Football Conference would probably collapse, leaving the exit penalties moot."

RS9999X

Reaction Score
I agree Nelson. BYU has their Religious Mission and their position as the BYU Network anchor going forward not to mention their Sabbath scheduling issues.

Notre Dame's demographic is Boston to Washignton DC on the East Coast. Adding UConn to the ACC w/ ND might work for them coupled with a Holiday BBall Tourney that rotates between Boston, NYC, Philly and DC and pits the old BE against some of the the ACC transplants and smaller Catholic schools.

I've been predicting 10 for the B12. They won't get a consensus on 12 is my guess.

Imagine the pressure on Boise. Where you go the BCS bid follows. Stay in the MWC and force the 32-game AQ Tourney.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
no surprise there. i wonder where L'ville will end up. maybe the SEC? UCONN better hope for something good to happen in the next few years. the BE is beyond dead. or we can drop football back down to a lower level (ridiculous i know) but we are running out of options... not really any good choices at this point.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Actually, this is bad news for the ACC as well as UConn. The ACC went from being one of the surviving 4 BCS leagues to clearly the weakest of 5 BCS leagues, especially if Louisville and Cincinnati join the Big 12. Syracuse and Pitt, despite Syracuse's upset last week, are both likely finishing with losing records in a mediocre Big East, and neither brings any market other than two dying industrial cities whose best days were two turns of the century ago.

New York is still wide open for any of the real BCS leagues because Syracuse has little fan base in the Big Apple, and any league that grabbed UConn and Rutgers would dominate NYC and put the ACC on death watch as the next BCS league to get torn apart.

Nelson, how do you define dominating the NYC market? The fact that the NYC market is the biggest media market, and the fact that Rutgers and UConn are in close vicinity, does not necissarily equate to dominance. You are still only haggling over a few percent of the market that is actually interested in tuning in to Rutgers or UConn on TV. How is that dominance?

Reaction Score

I don't see how this is bad news for the ACC. I thought the theory was the ACC was trying to destroy the Big East. Now that it is happening are you arguing that it is not good for the ACC?

Everything depends on the $$$ and the ACC's new contract is going to be robust. I am willing to bet it will be more per team than the Big 12s existing and/or new deal with ESPN. The ACC passed on WV because they are NOT as attractive to ESPN. If they were as attractive, they would have offered them in 03 or last month.

As for New York being wide open, if the powers that be (ESPN, Fox, Big Ten, Delaney, ACC, Swofford, everyone's consultants) thought Rutgers could deliver any meaningful part of the New York market, they would be in the Big Ten or have been offered by the ACC. Believing that any league that adds Rutgers and Uconn will dominate NYC is very optimistic and you have to have your Huskie Vision glasses on to see that. Why has the ACC expanded (twice), the Big Ten (once), the Big 12 (three times if they add WV) and yet none of them have offered Rutgers or Uconn?

We will know soon enough. But after Mizzou goes to SEC, and Big 12 makes there move, there will be no play made for either Rutgers or Uconn unless Notre Dame makes a move to Big Ten or ACC. I hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
Nelson, how do you define dominating the NYC market? The fact that the NYC market is the biggest media market, and the fact that Rutgers and UConn are in close vicinity, does not necissarily equate to dominance. You are still only haggling over a few percent of the market that is actually interested in tuning in to Rutgers or UConn on TV. How is that dominance?

I found it interesting that on Friday night, the RU/Lville game on ESPN2 did better in NYC metro area than the Cuse/WVU game on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom