NY Post: WVU set to leave, loss could lead to collapse of Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NY Post: WVU set to leave, loss could lead to collapse of Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
no surprise there. i wonder where L'ville will end up. maybe the SEC? UCONN better hope for something good to happen in the next few years. the BE is beyond dead. or we can drop football back down to a lower level (ridiculous i know) but we are running out of options... not really any good choices at this point.

I feel for Louisville. They have great facilities, real commitment to sports, a history in both football and basketball, and they are actually in a state the TV guys like. But Kentucky is going to block them from ever getting into the SEC and Kentucky is the big dog in that market anyway. And the ACC-SEC gentleman's agreement to not disrupt any existing market in which one of them already exists in not going to be broken by the ACC. Why poke the SEC? UL really is a very good addition to the Big 12 if they go to 12. They fit ok in there academically and culturally.

Reaction Score
Nelson, how do you define dominating the NYC market? The fact that the NYC market is the biggest media market, and the fact that Rutgers and UConn are in close vicinity, does not necissarily equate to dominance. You are still only haggling over a few percent of the market that is actually interested in tuning in to Rutgers or UConn on TV. How is that dominance?

The NYT study from a few months back was the only work I have seen done, and it does appear that RU and UConn have very strong market share in NYC (#1 and #4)

Reaction Score
The NYT study from a few months back was the only work I have seen done, and it does appear that RU and UConn have very strong market share in NYC (#1 and #4)

We have seen other work done. The ACC has expanded twice. And twice they have passed on Rutgers and Uconn. And twice they went after Syracuse. The ACC has the tv consultants, ESPN, etc. all telling them which options are the ones that will generate more money. At the end of the day, anything academic is just that, academic. The real test is what has happened in the market place when money is at stake. To date, the Big Ten and ACC have passed on the supposed NYC market share Rutgers and/or Uconn can deliver.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

It's a real interesting read.

Maybe I'm just getting hung up on the semantics of "dominating" and "very strong market share."

The most popular team in New York, for instance, is Rutgers. They have about 600,000 fans in New York City. That isn’t bad, but it represents only about 20 percent of college football fans in New York (in addition to some competing teams like Syracuse, many New Yorkers are transplants and bring their football loyalties with them). It also represents only about 3 percent of New York’s overall population.

That doesn't read to me like delivering the NYC market on a platter.

Regardless, that's exactly what I'd be trying to portray if I'm UConn or Rutgers.

Reaction Score
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

It's a real interesting read.

Maybe I'm just getting hung up on the semantics of "dominating" and "very strong market share."

That doesn't read to me like delivering the NYC market on a platter.

Regardless, that's exactly what I'd be trying to portray if I'm UConn or Rutgers.

Right - no team does. But the way I see it, if you are the ACC and you can have Duke, UNC etc. playing in the meadowlands or MSG (in bball) vs Rutgers, that has appeal beyond Rutgers fans. Likewise a football game for their team just outside the city would likely draw from opponent fan bases as well. It doesn't hurt to have market share or even mind share in such a fragmented market.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Right - no team does. But the way I see it, if you are the ACC and you can have Duke, UNC etc. playing in the meadowlands or MSG (in bball) vs Rutgers, that has appeal beyond Rutgers fans. Likewise a football game for their team just outside the city would likely draw from opponent fan bases as well. It doesn't hurt to have market share or even mind share in such a fragmented market.

Fair point. It would increase the exposure of all ACC teams.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't see how this is bad news for the ACC. I thought the theory was the ACC was trying to destroy the Big East. Now that it is happening are you arguing that it is not good for the ACC?

Everything depends on the $$$ and the ACC's new contract is going to be robust. I am willing to bet it will be more per team than the Big 12s existing and/or new deal with ESPN. The ACC passed on WV because they are NOT as attractive to ESPN. If they were as attractive, they would have offered them in 03 or last month.

As for New York being wide open, if the powers that be (ESPN, Fox, Big Ten, Delaney, ACC, Swofford, everyone's consultants) thought Rutgers could deliver any meaningful part of the New York market, they would be in the Big Ten or have been offered by the ACC. Believing that any league that adds Rutgers and Uconn will dominate NYC is very optimistic and you have to have your Huskie Vision glasses on to see that. Why has the ACC expanded (twice), the Big Ten (once), the Big 12 (three times if they add WV) and yet none of them have offered Rutgers or Uconn?

We will know soon enough. But after Mizzou goes to SEC, and Big 12 makes there move, there will be no play made for either Rutgers or Uconn unless Notre Dame makes a move to Big Ten or ACC. I hope I am wrong.

A post like mine above flushes out the trolls. Thanks for biting.

Destroying the Big East works if all the member institutions go away or get relegated to weaker conferences. If they just end up in healthier conferences, it defeats the purpose of destroying the Big East in the first place. The ACC thought they could take two teams and the other 7 would die on the vine. Now 2 more have found a home, and that looks likely to jump to 4 fairly shortly, with the Big 12 now moving closer to New York and adding four programs that are superior in almost every way to Pitt and Syracuse.

The ACC triggered a move that will ultimately result in a bigger, stronger Big 12, right in their own backyard in West Virginia. Also, now there is a potential third player for UConn/Rutgers. As I said before, collusion between two parties, such as the Big 10 and ACC, to not take UConn and Rutgers, is relatively easy. Collusion between 3 parties is very difficult, particularly when the Big 12 has no New York presence right now.

Reaction Score
Actually, this is bad news for the ACC as well as UConn. The ACC went from being one of the surviving 4 BCS leagues to clearly the weakest of 5 BCS leagues, especially if Louisville and Cincinnati join the Big 12. Syracuse and Pitt, despite Syracuse's upset last week, are both likely finishing with losing records in a mediocre Big East, and neither brings any market other than two dying industrial cities whose best days were two turns of the century ago.

New York is still wide open for any of the real BCS leagues because Syracuse has little fan base in the Big Apple, and any league that grabbed UConn and Rutgers would dominate NYC and put the ACC on death watch as the next BCS league to get torn apart.

I don't think that Florida State and Miami are going to remain down forever. There's just too much talent in that state, and they still have great brands. The ACC won't always be the weak sister of the remaining power conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom