NY Post writer says Geno is a cruel-hearted meanie | The Boneyard

NY Post writer says Geno is a cruel-hearted meanie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Seems every end to the season brings the spotlight on UConn and the yahoos come out pretending they have profound knowledge of the head coach's evil ways.

I give you Phil Mushnick:

Again, I don’t care if Geno Auriemma’s UConn women’s teams win 9,000 straight, he’s cruel. Cruel but fair. He’s practiced at humiliating both UConn’s opponents and the kids on his bench.

With 3:30 left in the game, UConn up 50 in what would be a 75-21 final, Auriemma first put in the last kid on his short — six subs — bench. Perhaps he wanted to rest her for practice.

But such cruelty has been tradition at UConn. Former men’s coach Jim Calhoun was at least as cruel. In a 2005 game versus Texas Southern, UConn led 111-47, with 55 seconds left, when he first put in four subs.

One of Calhoun’s former assistants, Tom Moore, several years ago explained on WFAN that Calhoun allows his top recruits to pad their stats against patsies. Moore, then coaching Quinnipiac, seemed to find that comical, part of Coach Calhoun’s wily, winking charms.

Those ostensibly at UConn’s wheel — the president, for example, although paid far less than Auriemma is and Calhoun was — are good with that, too.

Scroll down:

https://nypost.com/2018/03/09/ncaa-puts-profits-first-while-preserving-student-athlete-con/

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
After a search I see this is a common theme with Mr Mush. How did we not know about this guy?

UConn women 116-55 over Albany, Saturday. Two UConn starters played over 30 minutes; two subs played five, another played three. That stinks. Again. But that Geno Auriemma? What a coach, what a champ!

https://nypost.com/2017/03/20/two-plays-that-show-just-how-ridiculous-the-ncaa-has-gotten/

Geno Auriemma is still at it. In UConn women’s 93-36 win at Memphis, Wednesday, he played one kid four minutes, another just two. Jim Calhoun was similarly nurturing when he coached UConn’s male student-athletes.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/29/mlb-now-going-out-of-its-way-to-celebrate-bat-flip-immodesty/

Geno Auriemma’s Connecticut women’s team had it won extra early Tuesday on SNY. They led Cincinnati, 89-38, with 7:40 left.

Still, Auriemma must have been worried UConn’s No. 1 ranking and winning streak were in peril, as he played his starters a minimum of 29 minutes each. Among the 10 young women he played, one — a senior described in player profiles as a superior student — first entered with two minutes left and UConn up, 94-46. He does such a lot.

https://nypost.com/2017/02/09/the-falcons-demise-was-just-like-another-infamous-collapse/

BTW, on that last one, the player who saw two minutes was Tierney Lawlor. I guess walk-ons are supposed to play mucho minutes, not that he had any clue she was a walk-on.

Reaction Score
After a search I see this is a common theme with Mr Mush. How did we not know about this guy?

UConn women 116-55 over Albany, Saturday. Two UConn starters played over 30 minutes; two subs played five, another played three. That stinks. Again. But that Geno Auriemma? What a coach, what a champ!

https://nypost.com/2017/03/20/two-plays-that-show-just-how-ridiculous-the-ncaa-has-gotten/

Geno Auriemma is still at it. In UConn women’s 93-36 win at Memphis, Wednesday, he played one kid four minutes, another just two. Jim Calhoun was similarly nurturing when he coached UConn’s male student-athletes.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/29/mlb-now-going-out-of-its-way-to-celebrate-bat-flip-immodesty/

Geno Auriemma’s Connecticut women’s team had it won extra early Tuesday on SNY. They led Cincinnati, 89-38, with 7:40 left.

Still, Auriemma must have been worried UConn’s No. 1 ranking and winning streak were in peril, as he played his starters a minimum of 29 minutes each. Among the 10 young women he played, one — a senior described in player profiles as a superior student — first entered with two minutes left and UConn up, 94-46. He does such a lot.

https://nypost.com/2017/02/09/the-falcons-demise-was-just-like-another-infamous-collapse/

BTW, on that last one, the player who saw two minutes was Tierney Lawlor. I guess walk-ons are supposed to play mucho minutes, not that he had any clue she was a walk-on.
Nice research! Amazing how one gets to write a sports column for a big publication, but know so little about what they write about. Much of his columns are his (strong) opinions, but here, as you point out, he gives his opinion without even knowing the underlying facts. Pretty sad. Maybe on this he belongs to the ‘everybody gets a trophy’ group? It’s just too bad he leaves sports fans who don’t follow UConn closely with such a poor impression.

Reaction Score
Nice research! Amazing how one gets to write a sports column for a big publication, but know so little about what they write about. Much of his columns are his (strong) opinions, but here, as you point out, he gives his opinion without even knowing the underlying facts. Pretty sad. Maybe on this he belongs to the ‘everybody gets a trophy’ group? It’s just too bad he leaves sports fans who don’t follow UConn closely with such a poor impression.
Mushnick tries too hard at times to be controversial. Another way to say it would be that GA is very direct with his players.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I remember a time, many years ago, when the NY Post was a real newspaper. Over the years, under the ownership of Rupert Murdoch, the Post has drifted more and more towards tabloid journalism characterized by provocative writing and sensationalism.

Quite frankly, these days it would be more appropriate for the Post to be sold at supermarket checkouts along with the other gossip rags, rather than at newsstands.

Reaction Score
Phil Mushnick has been a respected sportswriter in the New York area forever. He's getting old and cranky like a lot of the rest of us. I don't recall him ever writing about UCONN's WCBB before although he might have, but I'm sure he really couldn't care less about it. Must have been a slow sports day although he could have written about Tiger Woods' sudden resurgence or more controversial nonsense about Odell Beckham. The New York Times has always been more fair and balanced when reporting stories about UCONN's WCBB, and WCBB in general. The NY Post is often a load of sensational crap but their cover headlines can be creative and funny at times. That's about it. I stopped reading the Post about 10 years ago when there appeared to be an underlying racism to many of their political articles.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

He's written a lot of stupid columns but I was loathe to link them. I didn't want to drive any more traffic to the tabloid Post, honestly.

Reaction Score
I remember a time, many years ago, when the NY Post was a real newspaper. Over the years, under the ownership of Rupert Murdoch, the Post has drifted more and more towards tabloid journalism characterized by provocative writing and sensationalism.

Quite frankly, these days it would be more appropriate for the Post to be sold at supermarket checkouts along with the other gossip rags, rather than at newsstands.
Old dude what a perfect description of this alleged reporter(?)

Reaction Score
This is nothing new for Mushnick, this has been his schtick for decades.
Years ago (2011, I looked it up) I emailed him regarding an error that appeared in his column regarding golf statistics.
He emailed me back stating that he wanted to "spare non golfers the details" !! Yeah, the details that showed there was an error in his column.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

He’s a junk writer. He should be yanked after the first paragraph in favor of the new kid who covers little league baseball Play the bench.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It is a bit of a shtick with him about lopsided scores in all sports at all levels from HS to the Pros. He certainly does not attempt to dive into any details or background.

Reaction Score
I suspect he is a NYC St John's fan who will never get over how UCONN whupped them.

Reaction Score
This is the type who cares not about anything except that people are devoting their energy to discussing him. He cares not if the discussion is for/against him, as long as it is about him.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Oh, Deadspin is all over Mushnick. Mushnick is the brain surgeon that came up with this:

https://deadspin.com/5938243/phil-mushnick-has-a-theory-on-why-so-many-teams-have-black-uniforms/all

'Nuff said. Guy's an idiot.
He writes for the New York Post. It is ,for all intents and purposes, a tabloid from the News Corp family. They want to excite and exacerbate. There is no News in News Corp publications. Any angst or outrage they create feeds their appetite for disruption. Please do not give them your time or your dime.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Great post,O.D. I wrote my response to to original post before I scrolled down to yours. We say the same thing, but you said it more eloquently. :)

Reaction Score
He might be incompetent and hates Uconn, but aren't there posts here-- going back a few months-- questioning the (non)use of "nench" players! I for one have a hard time justifying why the last kid on the bench comes in with 2 or under minutes to play in blow outs. But I'm not a purist. I like the 'beautiful' game and think payers should get the 'A' game every time out, but ...... Are there other doors to open than the usual ones?

Reaction Score
Seems every end to the season brings the spotlight on UConn and the yahoos come out pretending they have profound knowledge of the head coach's evil ways.

I give you Phil Mushnick:

Again, I don’t care if Geno Auriemma’s UConn women’s teams win 9,000 straight, he’s cruel. Cruel but fair. He’s practiced at humiliating both UConn’s opponents and the kids on his bench.

With 3:30 left in the game, UConn up 50 in what would be a 75-21 final, Auriemma first put in the last kid on his short — six subs — bench. Perhaps he wanted to rest her for practice.

But such cruelty has been tradition at UConn. Former men’s coach Jim Calhoun was at least as cruel. In a 2005 game versus Texas Southern, UConn led 111-47, with 55 seconds left, when he first put in four subs.

One of Calhoun’s former assistants, Tom Moore, several years ago explained on WFAN that Calhoun allows his top recruits to pad their stats against patsies. Moore, then coaching Quinnipiac, seemed to find that comical, part of Coach Calhoun’s wily, winking charms.

Those ostensibly at UConn’s wheel — the president, for example, although paid far less than Auriemma is and Calhoun was — are good with that, too.

Scroll down:

https://nypost.com/2018/03/09/ncaa-puts-profits-first-while-preserving-student-athlete-con/
I find his current writing style similar to Shaunassy in Boston. 10+ years ago, a competent sports writer that has gotten lazy and just dusts off old themes again and again.

Reaction Score
He got what he wanted.. you're all talking about him and now he's got some visibility.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
If Phil Mushnick's editor demanded the same level of excellence as does Geno, Mr. Mushnick would still be in the mail room. I'll bet Philly boy has a boatload of participation trophies in his room which is probably in his Mother's house.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
There you go. No one ever read his articles, no one knew he existed. No one cared. end.
th
upload_2018-3-10_11-15-8.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member