NY eve rib roast | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NY eve rib roast

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I love a good ribeye steak but never was much of a fan of the prime rib roast. Try getting your hands on picanha. You get the flavor from the fat cap which I cut off after cooking. It's really flavorful and tender and much cheaper. I usually cook tri tip because it's lean and it tastes great. Beef tenderloin is my go to for holidays/occasions because everyone always likes it.

I don't get the gripes people have with beef tenderloin not having flavor and leaner cuts being too tough. You can always produce flavor and make tougher cuts tender by knowing what you're doing.

Picanha may be labeled as coulotte in some places but they are the same cut. Try cutting your picanha in thirds and roll each cut with the fat cap in the center, you will probably have to trim the fat cap a little, then put a stake through them to hold them together. If you have a rotisserie cook it that way. You can then shave off the outside as it cooks and keep returning it the rotisserie. It is a fantastic cut.

I usually do my prime rib in the sous vide for 8 hours then roast it or grill it crust up the outside. If you do not have a sous vide the low and slow is the best method, finishing it on high heat as mentioned earlier.

Reaction Score
I bought pincana at Costco once and was not impressed. I mean I tried it several ways even sous vide and searing at end but there is a fat cap but… the meat itself is very lean. Maybe I got a bad one.

Reaction Score
I bought pincana at Costco once and was not impressed. I mean I tried it several ways even sous vide and searing at end but there is a fat cap but… the meat itself is very lean. Maybe I got a bad one.
I get picanha and tri tip from Wild Fork and it never let's me down.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I love a good ribeye steak but never was much of a fan of the prime rib roast. Try getting your hands on picanha. You get the flavor from the fat cap which I cut off after cooking. It's really flavorful and tender and much cheaper. I usually cook tri tip because it's lean and it tastes great. Beef tenderloin is my go to for holidays/occasions because everyone always likes it.

I don't get the gripes people have with beef tenderloin not having flavor and leaner cuts being too tough. You can always produce flavor and make tougher cuts tender by knowing what you're doing.
I recently had a picanha prepared by a Portuguese friend in Mozambique. He did it on the grill and it was amazing.

Reaction Score
I get picanha and tri tip from Wild Fork and it never let's me down.
I recently had a picanha prepared by a Portuguese friend in Mozambique. He did it on the grill and it was amazing.
I was introduced to picanha by Brazilian friends. It is very popular in Brazil but harder to get in the US and I am always impressed. They always serve it at rodizio restaurants like Churrascaria Plataforma in NYC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How do sear it for 10 minutes, on the grill or in a pan? Do you keep flipping it to evenly sear?
Hot oven - top rack.

You're really just looking to put a crust on it

Reaction Score
IMG_3267.jpeg

Reaction Score
Crab stuffed shrimp, asparagus with hollandaise and rice pilaf. Delicious. Queuing up the new Chappelle.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
That post reminds me I need tissues and lotion when I go to Costco next.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
I was introduced to picanha by Brazilian friends. It is very popular in Brazil but harder to get in the US and I am always impressed. They always serve it at rodizio restaurants like Churrascaria Plataforma in NYC.
Same. My good friend married a Brazilian girl. I don’t know much about steak but it sure was tasty.
If you are in the Hartford area some of the Brazilian grocery stores typically sell picanha.

Reaction Score
Same. My good friend married a Brazilian girl. I don’t know much about steak but it sure was tasty.
If you are in the Hartford area some of the Brazilian grocery stores typically sell picanha.
There are a few in the Park Street/ New Park Avenue area. I watched Brazil play in the 2014 World Cup at Brazil Grill on Park Street. Brazilians love their football and picanha.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I always go lower and slower and the 250 is how I cook it .

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The only time I ever went to one of those expensive NY restaurants I ordered steak tartare rare.

They gave me the cooking instructions if anyone is interested.

Reaction Score
Went w a compromize as a test: 300 for 2 hr. Looked bit bloody so aeared for 5 min. Came out little on well done side. I'll stick to thhe traditional.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of prime rib but any beef I'm going to roast I like to rub it the day before and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight then take it out an hour or so before roasting it.
Why do u rub the salt a day in advance? Won’t that dehydrate the meat?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom