NY eve rib roast | The Boneyard

NY eve rib roast

Reaction Score
Got a 4 rib 6 lber. We've done this before, but just to upodate, Butcher says 350 for 18 min / lb (1-3/4 hr). Or sear for 20 min and 325 for 15 / lb (1-2/2 hr). Any opinions?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Both will work fine.

I cook ours at like 250, take it out at 120 degrees and let it sit. And then I sear it for ten minutes or so right before carving it.

It’s finicky but also works.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

I really like J. Kenji’s method. Roast low and slow, let it do a full rest, and then put it back in a very hot oven for 10 minutes or so. Minimal grey band, pink all the way through, and a great crust.

Highly recommend J. Kenji. His cookbooks are by go-tos.

Reaction Score
Both will work fine.

I cook ours at like 250, take it out at 120 degrees and let it sit. And then I sear it for ten minutes or so right before carving it.

How do sear it for 10 minutes, on the grill or in a pan? Do you keep flipping it to evenly sear?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

Hi temp and then 2 hours of no touchy the oven
I usually love Chef John but I haven’t had much success with this method. Spending the same amount of time but have a low, active oven instead has always gotten me a more consistent level of doneness and more tender bite.

Reaction Score
I agree with this method, low and slow and reverse sear is the best way.
Both will work fine.

Thank you! I was planning on this method for NYE. Never tried it before but wanted to do a low and slow roast with a nice sear. You gave me even more confidence to try this method since i didnt like the way my last two roasts came out with the 350/325 methods.

Reaction Score

Hi temp and then 2 hours of no touchy the oven
Tried this method a couple years ago. It was crap. Maybe i did something wrong or my oven sucks but it did not work.

Reaction Score
I just watched the Kenji vid and it’s great. Just got that exact counter top toaster oven, the Breville. Will have to try it there, crème fresh recipe too. Always wondered how restaurants made that.

Reaction Score
I do the high temp method. 500 for 15 minutes, then 325 for about 15 min/lb, checking the temp often when it gets close. It always takes longer than I think.

Reaction Score
500 degrees, 8 minutes. Turn your fans on because the smoke detectors will go off.
And open the windows. I often have to waive a bath towel at the smoke detector to the delight of the grandkids. There she goes again!

Reaction Score
Salt. Don’t be afraid to use salt and salt the roast right now for tonight.

Also, let the roast sit for at least 15 minutes before carving.

Reaction Score
Salt. Don’t be afraid to use salt and salt the roast right now for tonight.

Also, let the roast sit for at least 15 minutes before carving.
I'm not a fan of prime rib but any beef I'm going to roast I like to rub it the day before and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight then take it out an hour or so before roasting it.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of prime rib but any beef I'm going to roast I like to rub it the day before and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight then take it out an hour or so before roasting it.
I know a lot of people that prefer tenderloin, filet because it doesn’t have all that grease and fat. The prime rib cleanup on everything when it’s all said and done is tougher. But flavor.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
This year we did both prime rib Christmas and since we had family in for the week we did a large tenderloin on Friday evening. The tenderloin will now replace the Rib Roast for Christmas dinner. All 8 of our immediate family voted and it was unanimous. Plus since it was a large tenderloin today we have filet sliders on the football game menu. Love the prime rib but as we get older all that fat content can mess with you for a day or two.

Reaction Score
I know a lot of people that prefer tenderloin, filet because it doesn’t have all that grease and fat. The prime rib cleanup on everything when it’s all said and done is tougher. But flavor.
I love a good ribeye steak but never was much of a fan of the prime rib roast. Try getting your hands on picanha. You get the flavor from the fat cap which I cut off after cooking. It's really flavorful and tender and much cheaper. I usually cook tri tip because it's lean and it tastes great. Beef tenderloin is my go to for holidays/occasions because everyone always likes it.

I don't get the gripes people have with beef tenderloin not having flavor and leaner cuts being too tough. You can always produce flavor and make tougher cuts tender by knowing what you're doing.

Reaction Score
I think I said this in the other thread, but I bought the Meater thermometers for Christmas because I had 2 roasts I didn't want to ruin. They were amazing - being able to see the exact temp on your phone the whole time with estimated cook time was super helpful.

Did mine at 250 and pulled them out at 115 degrees and did the reverse sear at 550 for 10 minutes right before we were going to eat. Was perfect.

Reaction Score
I usually love Chef John but I haven’t had much success with this method. Spending the same amount of time but have a low, active oven instead has always gotten me a more consistent level of doneness and more tender bite.
Did the chef john method for a 5.3 pound PR for xmas. Came out perfect

Reaction Score
I think I said this in the other thread, but I bought the Meater thermometers for Christmas because I had 2 roasts I didn't want to ruin. They were amazing - being able to see the exact temp on your phone the whole time with estimated cook time was super helpful.

Did mine at 250 and pulled them out at 115 degrees and did the reverse sear at 550 for 10 minutes right before we were going to eat. Was perfect.
Meater is a must...

Reaction Score
Meater is a must...

I was skeptical, but I bought the "block" that has 4 probes. The cool thing was is that one of the roasts was reading a much different temp than the other one - then I pulled them out of the oven and realized one of them wasn't centered. I moved it to the right place and they were both the same all the way through. Took all of the stress out of the process. Love it when technology works flawlessly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom