number of UConn players in the WNBA? | The Boneyard

number of UConn players in the WNBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
now that the rosters are complete for the 2012 season... who's 1st 2nd 3rd etc?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Rosters are not yet complete, they have to get down to eleven.

But "safe" are the Big 6 on the Olympic Team, plus Renee, Kalana, and a few others. Then you have other possibles like Svet, Tiffany, Ketia and maybe some others.

Reaction Score
Last year Tennessee and UConn led with 11, Duke had 7, LSU and Rutgers had 6, North Carolina and Stanford had 5.

Reaction Score
Those "few others" being aka Charde. Looks like Jessica has finally finished up. I would venture to guess that the number of years she managed to stick around the WNBA surprised a lot of folks that were not UConn fans, and probably even a few UConn fans.

Reaction Score
Those "few others" being aka Charde. Looks like Jessica has finally finished up. I would venture to guess that the number of years she managed to stick around the WNBA surprised a lot of folks that were not UConn fans, and probably even a few UConn fans.

Count me among them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jessica is injured and out for the year. I don't think she is necessarily finished, though the odds are tough.

Charde certainly has the talent to play in the WNBA.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
And the body style to take the pounding over the years, I have watched Delisha Milton Jones for years, she has been able to keep playing by staying in good shape and having that fierceness and banging capability, you also have to have the mentals to keep going also.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

It also marks a stark contrast to the argument that "Geno only gets the best players." Jessica Moore was a top 35-45 kid with whom Geno worked to improve her game tremendously. She played *seven* seasons in the WNBA. And she played a lot, playing in at least 28 games (out of 34) for each of the last six seasons.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Just look at DT, somewhat of a chubby kid in high school, and some didn't think she had the footspeed, just look at her now.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
It also marks a stark contrast to the argument that "Geno only gets the best players." Jessica Moore was a top 35-45 kid with whom Geno worked to improve her game tremendously. She played *seven* seasons in the WNBA. And she played a lot, playing in at least 28 games (out of 34) for each of the last six seasons.
I thought Jessica was ranked even lower than that. And remember, she agreed to redshirt her frosh year, and just practice and learn, rather than ride the bench for a year behind Swin, Tamika and Asjha. That turned out to be a very good decision.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Just look at DT, somewhat of a chubby kid in high school, and some didn't think she had the footspeed, just look at her now.

To be fair, she was ranked as the #1 or #2 player in the class in every single recruiting ranking. It is not like she came out of nowhere.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I've always wondered what happened with Liz Sherwood. This was probably discussed at length back in the day. I kind of got of the impression that she was "encouraged" to leave the program, but that was just an impression that I got. It sounded as if Geno was convinced that she was not willing to put in the work required to make it at UCONN.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Liz is one of the cautionary tales Geno tells himself and his assistants every year that they are missing out on their first priority recruits - that year they kept missing on forward/centers and he got desperate - team needed some height. He knew she wasn't a good fit, but when she showed some interest he jumped.
I think it was a pretty mutual decision on her leaving, and she did fine on her next stop, and Uconn survived just fine as well.

Yes DT was a project(ion) as the best in her class and now the best in the world!

I loved Jess - never the most talented, but a very determined and committed player and I think a great teammate. She carved out a very nice little career. And yes - for a player like her, a lot depends on the desire to keep playing. You aren't going to ever be a star, or make really big bucks - but if you really love the game it is worth it. But ... it isn't exactly a fun lifestyle, lots of travel, frequent relocations - sort of a nomadic life. At some point a lot of that level of players just say, enough, and start looking for a new career.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Good point.

My point about DT was the transformation she has made in her body, she looks amazing.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I think Liz is one of the cautionary tales Geno tells himself and his assistants every year that they are missing out on their first priority recruits - that year they kept missing on forward/centers and he got desperate - team needed some height. He knew she wasn't a good fit, but when she showed some interest he jumped.

Was that the class with Sherwood, Kia Wright, and Kiana Robinson? If so, that was really a "back up" class, consisting of players who were below that top-tier of uber-talented players in the high school class of 2003 (no disrespect intended to Sherwood, Wright, and Robinson). UConn's top target that year was Brittany Hunter

Duke went through the same thing with the 2004 class, getting Chante Black, Wanisha Smith, and Laura Kurz, while Duke's top targets (Alexis Hornbuckle, Tasha Humphrey, Candace Parker, and Candice Wiggins) went elsewhere (Anosike was an "either or" target for Duke - the Blue Devils were either going to get Black or Anosike, whichever one gave a commitment first). It worked out with Black and Smith, but Kurz ended up transferring.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Was that the class with Sherwood, Kia Wright, and Kiana Robinson? If so, that was really a "back up" class, consisting of players who were below that top-tier of uber-talented players in the high school class of 2003 (no disrespect intended to Sherwood, Wright, and Robinson). UConn's top target that year was Brittany Hunter.

Not to quote myself, but here is a flashback, courtesy of Blue Star:

1. Brittany Hunter 6-3 Columbus Brookhaven, OH -- DUKE
  2. Tiffany Jackson 6-3 Duncanville, TX -- TEXAS
  3. Noelle Quinn 5-11 Los Angeles Bishop Montgomery, CA -- UCLA
  4. Dorian Williams 5-6 Jacksonville Ribault, FL -- FLORIDA STATE
  5. Lauren Ervin 6-3 Lakewood Artesia, CA -- KANSAS
  6. Jessica Davenport 6-5 Columbus Independence, OH -- OHIO STATE
  7. Britney Jordan 5-9 Peoria, IL -- TEMPLE
  8. Brandi Hoskins 5-9 Dayton Chamanide-Jullienne, OH -- OHIO STATE
  9. Elizabeth Sherwood 6-3 Highlands Ranch, CO -- UCONN
  10. Kalika France 5-10 Forestville, Bishop McNamara, MD -- MARYLAND
  11. Allison Bales 6-6 Beavercreek, OH -- DUKE
  12. Kiana Robinson 5-9 Brandon, FL -- UCONN
  13. Jennifer Harris 5-10 Harrisburg Central Dauphin, PA -- PENN STATE
  14. Crystal Erwin 6-2 Pico Riveria St. Paul, CA -- NOTRE DAME
  15. Ivory Latta 5-5 York Comprehensive, SC -- NORTH CAROLINA
  16. Dee Davis 5-5 Cincinnati Princeton, OH -- VANDERBILT
  17. Cori Chambers 5-9 Elmsford Ursuline, NY -- GEORGIA
  18. Erin Lawless 6-2 Oak Park Fenwick, IL -- PURDUE
  19. Shay Doron 5-9 Middle Village Christ the King, NY -- MARYLAND
  20. Marian Whitfield 5-9 Augusta Glen Hills, GA -- LSU
  21. Katie Gearlds 6-0 Beech Grove, IN -- PURDUE
  22. Alesha Robertson 6-0 Plainview, TX -- TEXAS TECH
  23. Ranalda Pierce 6-4 Ashburn Turner County, GA -- FLORIDA STATE
  24. Shannon Hobson 6-2 Perris, CA -- ARIZONA
  25. Meg Bulger 5-11 Pittsburgh Oakland Catholic, PA -- WEST VIRGINIA

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I know UCONN really wanted Hunter and i think we went after Doron pertty hard. not sure who else, but you are essentially correct - that was about the last year that Geno stood by his old recruiting M.O. of not going after kids till their partway into their junior years. recruiting had changed and most all his top choices were already favoring or committing to other schools.

the following year we got Charde, Mel Thomas and Ketia Swanier. then he went on a huge roll...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not to quote myself, but here is a flashback, courtesy of Blue Star:

1. Brittany Hunter 6-3 Columbus Brookhaven, OH -- DUKE
  2. Tiffany Jackson 6-3 Duncanville, TX -- TEXAS
  3. Noelle Quinn 5-11 Los Angeles Bishop Montgomery, CA -- UCLA
  4. Dorian Williams 5-6 Jacksonville Ribault, FL -- FLORIDA STATE
  5. Lauren Ervin 6-3 Lakewood Artesia, CA -- KANSAS
  6. Jessica Davenport 6-5 Columbus Independence, OH -- OHIO STATE
  7. Britney Jordan 5-9 Peoria, IL -- TEMPLE
  8. Brandi Hoskins 5-9 Dayton Chamanide-Jullienne, OH -- OHIO STATE
  9. Elizabeth Sherwood 6-3 Highlands Ranch, CO -- UCONN
  10. Kalika France 5-10 Forestville, Bishop McNamara, MD -- MARYLAND
  11. Allison Bales 6-6 Beavercreek, OH -- DUKE
  12. Kiana Robinson 5-9 Brandon, FL -- UCONN
  13. Jennifer Harris 5-10 Harrisburg Central Dauphin, PA -- PENN STATE
  14. Crystal Erwin 6-2 Pico Riveria St. Paul, CA -- NOTRE DAME
  15. Ivory Latta 5-5 York Comprehensive, SC -- NORTH CAROLINA
  16. Dee Davis 5-5 Cincinnati Princeton, OH -- VANDERBILT
  17. Cori Chambers 5-9 Elmsford Ursuline, NY -- GEORGIA
  18. Erin Lawless 6-2 Oak Park Fenwick, IL -- PURDUE
  19. Shay Doron 5-9 Middle Village Christ the King, NY -- MARYLAND
  20. Marian Whitfield 5-9 Augusta Glen Hills, GA -- LSU
  21. Katie Gearlds 6-0 Beech Grove, IN -- PURDUE
  22. Alesha Robertson 6-0 Plainview, TX -- TEXAS TECH
  23. Ranalda Pierce 6-4 Ashburn Turner County, GA -- FLORIDA STATE
  24. Shannon Hobson 6-2 Perris, CA -- ARIZONA
  25. Meg Bulger 5-11 Pittsburgh Oakland Catholic, PA -- WEST VIRGINIA
Are there any WNBA starters in that group? Who is still in the league--Jackson, Davenport, Quinn, anyone else?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I've always wondered what happened with Liz Sherwood. This was probably discussed at length back in the day. I kind of got of the impression that she was "encouraged" to leave the program, but that was just an impression that I got. It sounded as if Geno was convinced that she was not willing to put in the work required to make it at UCONN.

Geno discusses Liz Sherwood (and her dad) at length in his book. Very candid, not flattering. After she left, she did just fine at Vanderbilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom