NPOY 2017 not a lock for Kelsey Plum | The Boneyard

NPOY 2017 not a lock for Kelsey Plum

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I recently saw a post some where stating if Katie Lou scores 30 pts in each game for the remainder of the year she would still finish second to Kelsey Plum as the National Player of the year...

I so disagree with that statement, I have always heard that honor typically goes to the best player on the best team.. So if UCONN goes undefeated and wins their 5th NC in a row with Katie Lou finishing from this point on with 30+ pts per game, I am going on record as saying KLS wins NPOY hands down..

Just being the nations scoring leader have never equated to earning that title, ask Stewie.. otherwise Jennie Simms & Alexis Petersen would also be making noise in the discussion as well this year..

Current Scoring Stats:
NAME TEAM CLASS HEIGHT POS GAMES FGM 3FG FT PTS PPG
Kelsey Plum Washington ------ Sr. 5'-8" G 20 211 68 133 623 31.2
Katie Lou Samuelson UConn - So. 6'-3" G 16 115 55 44 329 20.6

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think with the Publicity that Kelsey Plum is getting going after the Career Scoring Record, she's just about a lock for NPOY. Looking at the Washington Husky's stats, they're keeping Kelsey in the game long enough for her to hit her average regardless of the score. She will break Jackie Stiles record barring an injury. It also helps that Washington is having a good years as well.

Reaction Score
I recently saw a post some where stating if Katie Lou scores 30 pts in each game for the remainder of the year she would still finish second to Kelsey Plum as the National Player of the year...

I so disagree with that statement, I have always heard that honor typically goes to the best player on the best team.. So if UCONN goes undefeated and wins their 5th NC in a row with Katie Lou finishing from this point on with 30+ pts per game, I am going on record as saying KLS wins NPOY hands down..

Just being the nations scoring leader have never equated to earning that title, ask Stewie.. otherwise Jennie Simms & Alexis Petersen would also be making noise in the discussion as well this year..

Current Scoring Stats:
I would like to believe this, but UCONN has had so much success that there are many who would like to see this award go somewhere else if it is at all close in their minds.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Much will depend on how each respective Husky and their team performs during the rest of the season. I do believe that NPOY is now a 2-horse race between Plum & Lou. Plum may have a slight advantage because she's a senior, which shouldn't theoretically matter, but that fact will sway some voters.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Let's take a look at how history has voted for it :cool:

2015-16: NPOY - Breanna Stewart 19.4 PPG, NSL - Kelsey Plum 25.9 PPG
2014-15: NPOY - Breanna Stewart 17.6 PPG, NSL - Kelsey Mitchell 24.9 PPG
2013-14: NPOY - Breanna Stewart 19.4 PPG, NSL - Jerica Coley 29.5 PPG
2012-13: NPOY - Brittney Griner 23.8 PPG, NSL - Jerica Coley 26.3 PPG
2011-12: NPOY - Brittney Griner 23.2 PPG, NSL - Elena Delle Donne 28.1 PPG
2010-11: NPOY - Maya Moore 22.8 PPG, NSL - Kevi Luper 23.7 PPG
2009-10: NPOY - Tina Charles 18.2 PPG, NSL - Alysha Clark 28.3 PPG
2008-09: NPOY - Maya Moore 19.3 PPG, NSL - Angel McCoughtry 23.1 PPG
2007-08: NPOY - Candace Parker 21.3 PPG, NSL - Amber Holt 27.4 PPG
2006-07: NPOY - Candace Parker 19.6 PPG, NSL - Carrie Moore 25.4 PPG

*** Jackie Stiles is currently the points leader in the history of the game but Never earned National Player of the year.. If breaking that record means anything...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If Lou has to lose,I hope it is to Plum. Really like her game,she is fun to watch. Not that I am conceding anything...

I'll stand my ground. I recently posted that is I were a voter, the first two names I would write on my AA ballot would be Katie Lou Samuelson and Kelsey Plum.

I'm staying with that, for now.;)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If the Washington Huskies had 5 or 6 losses and weren't in contention for the PAC 12 Championship, then I would agree that Plum's going after the Record would not make a difference to many voters. However, since Washington is in the running for a PAC 12 Championship and get BACK to the F4 makes a big difference. Kelsey Plum was on the Big Stage last year and continues to be so this year. Kelsey and A'ja were the favorites before the year started, and A'ja with her injuries and play IMO is no longer in the running. Kelsey was behind Stewie last year and KLS is behind Kelsey this year. Don't think KLS can catch up no matter what she and this UConn team does. Wish I was wrong.

Reaction Score
Lou is my favorite player; however, it's not just Kelsey's scoring, she's also a skilled passer who makes her team and her teammates better. If Lou can put up 30 per game the rest of the way, and continues to improve defensively and as a rebounder, it will be a close race - down to the wire.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
I think several people will be surprised/disappointed at the end of this year...
Good fortune to all the considered candidates, but I know who my money is on

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think several people will be surprised/disappointed at the end of this year...
Good fortune to all the considered candidates, but I know who my money is on
There are at least 2 NPOY awards -Wade & Naismith. This presents the possibility of a split NPOY which last happened in 2014 when Stewie took the Naismith and Odyssey took the Wade. Another example and contradictory to your prior post is that Lindsey Harding won the Naismith in 2007 NOT Parker. Please clarify which POY you think Plum is NOT going to win.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Isn't KLS going for 30 a game a little bit too much of an "if"? She's terrific, but there are sure to be games when she doesn't get the minutes to put up such gaudy numbers, let alone an off night here or there where she "only" scores 19.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Current Scoring Stats:
Definitely agree - POY has seldom if ever gone to the scoring leader in any given year, but ... there is a momentum issue and some of that comes with time among the elites in discussion and Lou is only beginning to create a little buzz in that regard having emerged this year, from the obscuring shadow of Breanna, Morgan, and Mo.

(And we will never be able to test your theory, because Lou is not going to average 30 ppg in any stretch of ten games during her UConn career let alone through the end this season.)

Reaction Score
I'm sure Plum will win it. She's a senior with a full college history, and will set that all-time career scoring record. KLS 's time will come next season with the attendant cumulative publicity and statistics to back it up.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I so disagree with that statement, I have always heard that honor typically goes to the best player on the best team..

I haven't heard that except it came up recently on another message board. I ignored it, as it seemed to silly to take seriously, but now, being the second time I have heard this, where does it come from. It doesn't make any sense.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I haven't heard that except it came up recently on another message board. I ignored it, as it seemed to silly to take seriously, but now, being the second time I have heard this, where does it come from. It doesn't make any sense.
I believe the statement was attributed to Geno in another post, although I don't know if he actually said it.

Reaction Score
The big difference between NPOY vs. NSL in recent years past was that the national scoring leaders were on mediocre teams (exception being McCoughtry, and no one was beating Maya that year). Washington is a F4 contender again and has a chance at the PAC12 title. Also, all those players that won the NPOY over others that scored more did so by virtue of doing other things incredibly well (defense, rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, etc). While KLS has improved greatly in those areas, she is still some distance away from being known for anything other than her scoring. After all, KLS came into the NPOY and AA discussion in recent weeks due to what? Her scoring. If it's a battle of scorers, Kelsey Plum wins, hands down.

Reaction Score
This is just silly. Yeah, individual honors are nice, but players don't come to UConn for them; they come to win CHAMPIONSHIPS, which are the ultimate Team honor.

Let Plum have the award, whichever one she gets; it will mean a lot to her, getting that recognition despite being on a program that is a longshot at best for a FF, much less a NC. I'd rather see Lou cutting down a net, and UConn only does that for NCs.

Reaction Score
I don't think Lou is in line for any NPOY awards at this point. Kelsey Plum is going to break the career scoring record, plays on a good team, and has been getting a lot of attention with feature interviews, etc. Media has her all primed for it.

We all just got excited about this from KLS's last 2-3 games which, coincidentally, are just since AAC conference games began (zzzzzzz....). She's getting people's attention though. Maybe if she goes crazy in the SC game next month with everyone watching, like Moriah did when she was a junior.... ??

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There's a lot to be said for being the best player on the best team. When Stewie won her first npoy awards in 2014, the best player/best team rationale carried the day.

If, and only if, KLS keeps playing like this and UConn keeps winning, I think she has a very strong claim on one of the awards (Wade, Naismith, AP, Wooden, USBWA, maybe Honda on some years). In 2014, Stewie won at least three while Simms and Chiney each won one. Maybe there will be a repeat of that this season...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If, and only if, KLS keeps playing like this and UConn keeps winning, I think she has a very strong claim on one of the awards (Wade, Naismith, AP, Wooden, USBWA, maybe Honda on some years). In 2014, Stewie won at least three while Simms and Chiney each won one. Maybe there will be a repeat of that this season...

Katie Lou currently is the leader in Boneyard Badass Awards:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom