Now What About Gabby [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Now What About Gabby [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Why aren't other players other then our Big 3 scoring more points???? The offense is set up and run through our Big 3. There are many set plays to get our Big 3 the ball with an opportunity to score. Next season imo you will see plays designed for are starters to score. UConn has a huge advantage with our Big 3. They are almost undefendable and unstoppable. Stewie is unstoppable. She can score from almost anywhere. You saw Kia have a great game a couple of games ago. If you remember Geno said we have to get her going and Kara Wolters in the pregame predicted Kia would get going based on what Geno said. So lets not pick on any players because they are doing exactly what Geno wants them to do and if they weren't he would pull them out of the lineup. Hey this is a team of the ages. To have a 3some like we have doesn't happen very often, and we've had that for some time.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Hmmm.

Kia became a starter immediately after the loss to Stanford last season. That was precisely 66 games ago. UConn has won every single one of those games.

So what makes it such a bright idea to replace Nurse -- a guard with a decent 3-point shot -- with Gabby, a forward with no perimeter shot?

Sorry, I just don't get it.

Reaction Score
Kia will be fine and Geno will start her every game because of the way she competes. She has hit a little bump and will bounce back. I think at times she puts too much pressure on her self. She needs to step back a little and relax and let the game come to her instead of forcing the issue.

Reaction Score
Since there are five games left in the regular season I think we can assume the starting lineup is set. Both Gabby and Kia are playing and contributing, so what is the point of comparing the two? Might as well start a thread comparing Stewart and Lawlor.

Reaction Score
Kia is fine. And a really important part of this extraordinary group. If I had a nickel for all of the ill-advised drives and missed shots early in the careers of future AAs such as Shea, Bria, Renee, et al. I'd buy you some instructional videos.

Reaction Score
The question of whether part of the problem is carrying the Canadian team at the Pan Am games last summer and continuing on now with no break, Stewie and Mo were also in those games and have continued on, with no discernible negative effect. In our constant persuit of perfection here on the BY we closely exam anything that suggest falling short of perfection, often with little relevant data to make an accurate assessment. But, hold on, there is an answer and a solution: Geno and the coaching staff, one can be sure, are on top of this, and will make the right decisions about Kia and managing her performance and time on the court. They seek perfection also, but have a lot more to work with than we do. Still, it is fun to speculate, just as long as we keep the perspective of the big picture.

Reaction Score
Taken from the New Haven newspaper article today: New challenges await Uconn's role players -

Samuelson and sophomore Gabby Williams were the players to offer the most on-court assistance to Jefferson, Stewart and Tuck against South Carolina and Temple.

Kia Nurse had nine turnovers in the two games and was limited to 24 minutes against Temple because Auriemma said, “she didn’t have it.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
from other thread I started:

Under the roster page of the team's website, everyone is listed as a guard except Big Nat, Stewie the Great, and Ol Reliable Tuck. So forget about this position discussion we been having. Gabby was a guard before she came then they switched her over so I say she needs to hone her handle skills over the summer and 3 point shooter.

And NO, I would NOT replace Tuck for the last 2 games she laid an egg, but I would Kia because Tuck is more seasoned and reliable and been through this before. Comparing apples with oranges

Reaction Score
Taken from the New Haven newspaper article today: New challenges await Uconn's role players -

Samuelson and sophomore Gabby Williams were the players to offer the most on-court assistance to Jefferson, Stewart and Tuck against South Carolina and Temple.

Kia Nurse had nine turnovers in the two games and was limited to 24 minutes against Temple because Auriemma said, “she didn’t have it.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
from other thread I started:

Under the roster page of the team's website, everyone is listed as a guard except Big Nat, Stewie the Great, and Ol Reliable Tuck. So forget about this position discussion we been having. Gabby was a guard before she came then they switched her over so I say she needs to hone her handle skills over the summer and 3 point shooter.

And NO, I would NOT replace Tuck for the last 2 games she laid an egg, but I would Kia because Tuck is more seasoned and reliable and been through this before. Comparing apples with oranges
I really enjoyed watching Lou and Gabby run that fast break vs Temple.

Reaction Score
Fact: Gabby got 10 rebs against the GAINTS of SC and 19 points the next game. So what about Kia? Falling on the floor, committing silly fouls, where are the rebounds - maybe Big Bad Mo gets more rebounds than Kia, if not it is close. Yeah, yeah you are going to tell me about leadership, experience, etc. but what have you done for me lately?
Well if she can do all that versus GAINTS , she should have a cakewalk versus GIANTS

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kia has had a couple of tough games, especially on the offensive end. Maybe she just needs to relax. She'll be fine.

Reaction Score
Sure I can. Athletes in many sports, especially women, are far better trained today than they were just 15-20 years ago. They get more attention when they are younger, train harder, lift weights, have well educated and experienced trainers...it's a different world today. Back then the high school coach was likely still a gym teacher first, and coached many teams, and probably had a PE degree if they were lucky. There were no trainers outside of the School Nurse, and facilities were football leftovers at best. Today the best schools have dedicated coaches and staff, better equipment, and while they likely share facilities with the men's team, but at least they are Basketball-oriented.

The Shea of 1999 likely would have trouble making the team today, not because of who she is, but because of the opportunities that were available. No dig on her, it's just progress.

SO...take that Shea and give her the opportunities that girls get TODAY, and I agree; she would likely be a much different, and dangerous, player; faster, stronger, better basketball acumen; The Six Million Dollar Shea. But apple-to-apples, Kia is very comparable.
A healthy Shea Ralph, would start on this team. Shea was a scorer, inside and out. I think you're forgetting how truly great Shea was as a player. Kia will be fine. I think that she's a good player but not the caliber of Shea.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A healthy Shea Ralph, would start on this team. Shea was a scorer, inside and out. I think you're forgetting how truly great Shea was as a player. Kia will be fine. I think that she's a good player but not the caliber of Shea.
Not saying I disagree with you but i looked up Shea's stats. Averaged 11, 15, 16 and then 9.7 PPG in her 4 years. Her sophomore year was a medical red shirt. If you look at who was on the team her sophomore and junior years (after the medical red shirt), it was Duran, Sveta, Schuey, and the freshman TASSK force, and then her junior year added Kennitra Johnson. If you look at the rest of the team, what sort of guards were there the 2 years she had 15/16 PPG? Literally only Duran, Gaine, Sveta (more of a wing), Sue Bird and then Kennitra Johnson. While I agree that Shea was more productive her 2nd year after her redshirt (her RS sophomore year to compare to Kia), who else on the team was actually going to score? They had no one like Stewie or Moriah, or even Morgan for that matter.

I can't figure out how to go back to the 1998 year for stats, but i'm betting she was the 2nd leading scorer on the team that year. If she were on the team today she's probably be 4th behind the holy trinity. It's so hard to compare then vs. now. Shea was a warrior and a great player. I you are correct that she would be considered "better" than Kia, especially if healthy, but more was asked of Shea back then. Let's see what Kia does next year without Stewie and Moriah and then make some comparisons.

Reaction Score
Not saying I disagree with you but i looked up Shea's stats. Averaged 11, 15, 16 and then 9.7 PPG in her 4 years. Her sophomore year was a medical red shirt. If you look at who was on the team her sophomore and junior years (after the medical red shirt), it was Duran, Sveta, Schuey, and the freshman TASSK force, and then her junior year added Kennitra Johnson. If you look at the rest of the team, what sort of guards were there the 2 years she had 15/16 PPG? Literally only Duran, Gaine, Sveta (more of a wing), Sue Bird and then Kennitra Johnson. While I agree that Shea was more productive her 2nd year after her redshirt (her RS sophomore year to compare to Kia), who else on the team was actually going to score? They had no one like Stewie or Moriah, or even Morgan for that matter.

I can't figure out how to go back to the 1998 year for stats, but i'm betting she was the 2nd leading scorer on the team that year. If she were on the team today she's probably be 4th behind the holy trinity. It's so hard to compare then vs. now. Shea was a warrior and a great player. I you are correct that she would be considered "better" than Kia, especially if healthy, but more was asked of Shea back then. Let's see what Kia does next year without Stewie and Moriah and then make some comparisons.
I'm hoping she reaches AA status. She has the ability.

Reaction Score
Kia is going to be fine. I trust she will be just what the doctor ordered for us when crunch time comes. Little note for next year. If Gabby continues to improve and can handle the ball better with a 3 point shot the sky will be the limit for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom