Now this is a tall team! Oregon State's 2019-20 Team Photo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Now this is a tall team! Oregon State's 2019-20 Team Photo

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
My perspective is all programs start at the bottom and to celebrate the successes and building blocks of your program is natural and exciting. Even Geno this year was really happy to see the team celebrate winning the Regional. For anyone to be arrogant about our program and the building block steps it had to take (however many years ago) is being disrespectful towards those programs who have made great strides in WCBB. Lest we become VolNation neophytes who hate everyone but the Lady Vols, and even then they eat their own at the first sign of struggles. This type of Orange, I don’t mind rooting for and wish them nothing but success especially this year is what will be an awesome PAC12. Go Beavers!:)
Indeed. The Pac-12 will be rocking this year. And the good news is that Oregon, Stanford and Oregon State play each other twice each in regular season -- unlike other conferences like the ACC where the marquee matchups only happen once.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I’m excited to watch Oregon State this year. They’ve usually had some good size, but this year is off the charts. As I said in my previous post, I hope they have some good hands and good footwork to go with their size. I’m also wishing them good health.

They’ve got the talent and will have some great talent for the foreseeable future so I wouldn’t be surprised if they reach the final four or beyond.
+1. And it'd be really nice for Mikayla Pivec to go out her senior year with a lot more national recognition than she's gotten so far. She's such an underrated stud, but I feel like the stars have not yet aligned for her to show off how great she is in a game that gets national attention.

Reaction Score
+1. And it'd be really nice for Mikayla Pivec to go out her senior year with a lot more national recognition than she's gotten so far. She's such an underrated stud, but I feel like the stars have not yet aligned for her to show off how great she is in a game that gets national attention.
Thank you @TheFarmFan for recognizing the amazing player that is Mikayla Pivec. I have a feeling that this will be the year that many more across the country know the name Mikayla Pivec. BTW, I happen to feel the same way about Dijonai Carrington--highly underrated, and, dramatically improving every year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok so the sake of some of our “snarkier” UConn colleagues, I am on the UConn campus today and managed to get into Gampel. Yes, we only hang Championship Banners Now, but while taking pictures of the wall plaques over the North entrance that show All the NCAAT appearances, Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final 4’s I chatted up a facilities manager who said they used to have banners for those appearances but migrated to plaques at some point, but wasn’t sure when. Maybe some of our longer tenured members will remember. So while I get we have been unbelievably fortunate with all our success, we too started out with those stepping stones.
87827B36-AFB8-4502-96B9-F2BF4CE8E229.jpeg

Reaction Score
That was the whole point of the original comment. That O State will know that they have arrived when they are no longer hanging Sweet 16 banners. I’m sure almost every UConn fan is away do the wall “banners” listing the years of their Final Four appearances, etc.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
That was the whole point of the original comment. That O State will know that they have arrived when they are no longer hanging Sweet 16 banners.
How will they know when UCONN has exited? ;):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well, according to the heights listed here by Oregon State assistant coach Katie Faulkner, OSU's
front court is getting taller and taller all the time!

Been watching the OSU Beavers WBB Italy Tour Games. The 2 new freshman, Taylor Jones (6'5") & Kennedy Brown (6'6") have skills, and will get time on the court. Taylor Jones has "Lauren Cox" wingspan, and rebounds and blocks shots like Lauren Cox. Kennedy Brown is a fantastic passer, and has a nice mid-range jump shot. Both are still playing at HS speed, but seem to be acclimating well to the OSU system. Good news for OSU Beaver fans, we are going to be tough defensively.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Been watching the OSU Beavers WBB Italy Tour Games. The 2 new freshman, Taylor Jones (6'5") & Kennedy Brown (6'6") have skills, and will get time on the court. Taylor Jones has "Lauren Cox" wingspan, and rebounds and blocks shots like Lauren Cox. Kennedy Brown is a fantastic passer, and has a nice mid-range jump shot. Both are still playing at HS speed, but seem to be acclimating well to the OSU system. Good news for OSU Beaver fans, we are going to be tough defensively.
Good insight, Scott’s teams have always been strong defensively, it’s the winning ugly due to a lack of offensive flow that has plagued his teams. My thought was attributing that to less offensive skilled player, however now with Destiny Slocum do they have others who can create their own shot and distribute the ball around to take and make the best percentage shot. If this team can do that, they will be very tough for anyone!

Reaction Score
Good insight, Scott’s teams have always been strong defensively, it’s the winning ugly due to a lack of offensive flow that has plagued his teams. My thought was attributing that to less offensive skilled player, however now with Destiny Slocum do they have others who can create their own shot and distribute the ball around to take and make the best percentage shot. If this team can do that, they will be very tough for anyone!
MIKAYLA PIVEC (senior, 5'10") is the best player on the team, can create her own shot by maneuvering, is a great rebounder as a guard, and can play the point too.

Reaction Score
MIKAYLA PIVEC (senior, 5'10") is the best player on the team, can create her own shot by maneuvering, is a great rebounder as a guard, and can play the point too.
As far as creating, Jas Simmons had a terrific trip in Italy. The surprise of the trip for sure was Jas Simmons, 5'11" guard. She is going to get minutes this year. The single biggest question mark is Kat Tudor. If Kat is back at full speed and strength, then the PAC-12 title is going to be in the state of Oregon.

Reaction Score

Some folks may be skeptical that Oregon State's Taylor Jones (far left in pic of 5 players) has actually spurted 2 inches in height (from 6'3" to 6'5") over the last year or 2. Player heights are often rounded "up". However, this picture (click link below) of Taylor (circa 2017) with 6'4" Lauren Cox of Baylor (when Taylor was probably still 6'3") lends credence to reports that she has an extra long wingspan/reach for her height. So, even the shortest gal of OSU's "big 5" may "play" close to the height of her taller teammates!! Pic thanks to beaverwbb fan who posted it in "Benny's House".

Oops, there was an error! | Benny's House

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Here’s my point, for the last 5 years, OSU offensive ranking and scoring average is:
‘19 #33 75.1 pmt per game
‘18 #50 72.5
‘17 #151 65.6
‘16 #117 66.9
‘15 #33 72.8
You cannot win a national title without putting points on the board regardless of how good a defense is. So you point of Pivec is noted but you need ball movement and an inside/outside game to consistently score and win in the NCAA TOURNAMENT. If he can improve that, then this team has a very real shot. Pun intended! :cool:

Reaction Score
Here’s my point, for the last 5 years, OSU offensive ranking and scoring average is:
‘19 #33 75.1 pmt per game
‘18 #50 72.5
‘17 #151 65.6
‘16 #117 66.9
‘15 #33 72.8
You cannot win a national title without putting points on the board regardless of how good a defense is. So you point of Pivec is noted but you need ball movement and an inside/outside game to consistently score and win in the NCAA TOURNAMENT. If he can improve that, then this team has a very real shot. Pun intended! :cool:
If Beavers get a healthy Kat Tudor this season, you can expect solid offensive improvement this season. I see a few more offensive rebounds with this team's height, with post players who can actually catch a pass from the wings, and, turn and make a lay-in. Last year, I wanted to scream every time Joanna Grymek fumbled a pass to her, or, somehow hung on to the pass, only to miss a simple lay-in.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
As we both have noted that it’s a process and Scott is well on his way with improving the talent level at OSU. Talent
If Beavers get a healthy Kat Tudor this season, you can expect solid offensive improvement this season. I see a few more offensive rebounds with this team's height, with post players who can actually catch a pass from the wings, and, turn and make a lay-in. Last year, I wanted to scream every time Joanna Grymek fumbled a pass to her, or, somehow hung on to the pass, only to miss a simple lay-in.
As we have noted, Scott is well on his way to improving the talent which usually manifests itself in better scoring. He’s an awesome defensive tactician which does very well against all but the elite teams. Against those, you need to score with them to beat them. Having Slocum and a healthy Tudor and Pivec looks like their offense should take a jump up from #33 to a top 20 or higher scoring program which will Give then a chance for a great run in the Tournament regardless of who is in their draw.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom