Now that the DC position is filled... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Now that the DC position is filled...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have no clue if this is true but when he wasn't let go after the season, the thought that CW coming here was closely tied to Charlton was the only explanation I could think of.
I do understand this but to me it doesn't make sense that one high school recruit was the reason we kept a mediocre OC. Maybe I am wrong and CW will come in and start as a freshman (ie. Philip Rivers). I do hope my "glass half-full" thought is incorrect. It's just that we have been excited over players before but seem to be let down more often than not. C'mon Rivers 2.0

Reaction Score
The OC/AHC probably has a three year contract.
Charlton’s contract (unless amended again) runs from December 20, 2022 through January 15, 2026.

1707740522801.jpeg

Reaction Score
Not sure if this logic holds but there were games last year we put up points and still lost due to defensive let downs. We also had several late game breakdowns and the offensive sputtered with some famously bad plays.

But if I had to pick one vs other I think it was more important to get a Defensive Coordinator than crossing the NC bridge - we’ll get to it if we must but let’s see what happens first 3-5 games this year with a hopefully improved defensive and our next Dan O on the bench / hopefully getting reps.
I recall reading the pregame reports up until maybe the last 3 games left in the season and noticing we were bottom 10 in tackling and dead last in pass defense in the country.

Reaction Score
I am praying that there are no false realignment rumors this spring and early summer. Of course, if the men repeat there probably will be.

With some help with his job and an upgrade in personnel (just speculating) things could work out with Charlton. But I wonder how much his last year buyout is? The page above only discusses termination in the event of the HC termination.

Reaction Score
With some help with his job and an upgrade in personnel (just speculating) things could work out with Charlton. But I wonder how much his last year buyout is? The page above only discusses termination in the event of the HC termination.
If he’s terminated w/o cause - it’s $490k subject to a dollar:dollar salary offset if he gets another job during the remaining term period.

Reaction Score
WBB has been eroded to injury not money. There is 5, top 5 recruits hurting.
If you watched any of the game it's simply impossible and borderline irrational to arrive at that conclusion. It's true that UCONN has 9 scholarship players (actually, 7 that Geno actually will play) but they got completely out-athleted yesterday point blank period and none of the injured would have made a whit of difference in the result.

Reaction Score
If you watched any of the game it's simply impossible and borderline irrational to arrive at that conclusion. It's true that UCONN has 9 scholarship players (actually, 7 that Geno actually will play) but they got completely out-athleted yesterday point blank period and none of the injured would have made a whit of difference in the result.
You couldn’t be more off base.

Reaction Score
WBB has been eroded to injury not money. There is 5, top 5 recruits hurting.
Agree but also now there are other schools that have decided to make womens basketball a real priority. It isn’t jus UConn and a handful of others.

Reaction Score
You couldn’t be more off base.
LOL okay, tell you what....over/under on WCBB appearances in the final 8 the next 5 seasons is at 2 and I'm taking the under.

Reaction Score
If true, and I did not see the game, it stands to reason that having a bunch of guys on the bench that can come in and seamlessly contribute raises the work rate of your game and gives you more fouls to give.

What interests me is why this high injury rate is happening year after year to so many high level players in UConn WBB. Geno attributes it to a bad cycle. I do not think that passes the eyeball test. Can he no longer recruit rugged national talent and gets the lightly built talent instead?

Reaction Score
If he’s terminated w/o cause - it’s $490k subject to a dollar:dollar salary offset if he gets another job during the remaining term period.
That just means he is owed his entire last year's salary. Well, I think UConn could swallow that if need be. But first there is this year and the performance improvement package.

Reaction Score
LOL okay, tell you what....over/under on WCBB appearances in the final 8 the next 5 seasons is at 2 and I'm taking the under.
What does that have to do with your comment that none of the injured UConn players would have made a whit of difference in the result of yesterday’s game?

Reaction Score
No. It’s not in the works. Mora seems to be comfortable with Charlton. We may want change, but he’s given no indication that anything is in the works. I want Charlton to succeed but this year he has to produce.
Charlton's biggest problem is he pulls out stupid trick plays and ruins momentum. If he just stuck to what was working we'd be fine on offense. I'm not saying we'll put up Madden like numbers, but we can at least look more productive and give the defense some breathing room.

Reaction Score
Is anyone else feeling a little “Big 12 invite is in the bag” PTSD??
Yes, and one should not dismiss the effect that had on the last FB season. The problem is, the men could possibly repeat which most likely will trigger a repeat of last year.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
If true, and I did not see the game, it stands to reason that having a bunch of guys on the bench that can come in and seamlessly contribute raises the work rate of your game and gives you more fouls to give.

What interests me is why this high injury rate is happening year after year to so many high level players in UConn WBB. Geno attributes it to a bad cycle. I do not think that passes the eyeball test. Can he no longer recruit rugged national talent and gets the lightly built talent instead?
I have also wondered about this- UConn's players, even the top recruits, seem to be more lightly built than top opponents. I think there has been a trend to physically larger players in WCBB with as much skill as more gracile players that have been Gino's preference historically. His recruiting hasn't adjusted.

Reaction Score

You just hit the nail on the head. He cannot compete for the best players so he sells recruiting class results as ‘I got Geno players.’, and relies on his reputation to legitimize the misses.

Plus, though he takes one every now and then he hates bringing in transfers and refuses to run players like DeBerry and Bethancourt off the roster which prevents him from maximizing scholarship firepower. With the liberalization of transfer policy the better teams are going to be older teams and playing 2-3 freshman major minutes isn’t going to cut it much less allowing less talented players to hang around.

He‘s 70 with 11 rings and I think a gold medal in his pocket so rightly he doesn’t have to listen to anyone. But the program will continue after he retires and IMO it is time to encourage him to hang up his spurs.

Reaction Score
He started two transfers last year. Had a couple of Duke transfers not long ago. Played USCe to a very close game last year. without Fudd and Buekers. Carolina had a better club last year. They have/had 6-2, 6-2, 6-3 and 6-5 players out with injury hampering development not fragile looking athletes.
Buekers is playing the 4. Their most athletic player is 6-1 was playing sixth man and had a big game against Carolina last year also out.
Maybe should take your argument to another board.

Reaction Score
He started two transfers last year. Had a couple of Duke transfers not long ago. Played USCe to a very close game last year. without Fudd and Buekers. Carolina had a better club last year. They have/had 6-2, 6-2, 6-3 and 6-5 players out with injury hampering development not fragile looking athletes.
Buekers is playing the 4. Their most athletic player is 6-1 was playing sixth man and had a big game against Carolina last year also out.
Maybe should take your argument to another board.
Agreed. Would be good to get back to FB anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom