Now that the DC position is filled... | The Boneyard

Now that the DC position is filled...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it possible that a new OC is also in the works?

Come on, we're all thinking it...
No. It’s not in the works. Mora seems to be comfortable with Charlton. We may want change, but he’s given no indication that anything is in the works. I want Charlton to succeed but this year he has to produce.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that a new OC is also in the works?

Come on, we're all thinking it...
No attack @CL82 but this beating a dead horse is without reason. The OC is also the assistant HC which says you don't like Mora who gave him that title. There is this from HuskyHawk in the DC hire thread.

I like it. Has experience at the right levels. Now just move the cream of the Miss State roster to Storrs and we'll be looking good.

Any coach knows you can't get silk from burlap so you do the best you can with what you have to work with. Last year the hype was we were five deep at the RB position after an injury and four games in two go into the portal we were down to two. Talent at critical positions is our problem more so than play calling. I think Jim has been in the game long enough and knows if Charltons play calling was the problem he would he would do something about it asap. JMHO....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No attack @CL82 but this beating a dead horse is without reason. The OC is also the assistant HC which says you don't like Mora who gave him that title. There is this from HuskyHawk in the DC hire thread.

I like it. Has experience at the right levels. Now just move the cream of the Miss State roster to Storrs and we'll be looking good.

Any coach knows you can't get silk from burlap so you do the best you can with what you have to work with. Last year the hype was we were five deep at the RB position after an injury and four games in two go into the portal we were down to two. Talent at critical positions is our problem more so than play calling. I think Jim has been in the game long enough and knows if Charltons play calling was the problem he would he would do something about it asap. JMHO....
Lol "no attack", but what a bunch of word salad. Because I think the OC did a bad job that means I quote don't like Mora?

You are right on this, though; you can't get silk out of a burlap sack. So maybe it makes sense to stop pretending that the the sack is other than burlap and just go out and try to find a silk one?

Reaction Score
I was thinking this thread was dedicated to everyone who thought we wouldn’t hire a dc or who assumed it’d be a promotion and not add to staff.

Reaction Score
Lol "no attack", but what a bunch of word salad. Because I think the OC did a bad job that means I quote don't like Mora?

You are right on this, though; you can't get silk out of a burlap sack. So maybe it makes sense to stop pretending that the the sack is other than burlap and just go out and try to find a silk one?
Maybe Jim feels he needs a little more guidance (from him) than he could give the last 2 years.

Reaction Score
He made a half million dollars last year. I have to think that $1 million to get the right guy here is a good investment.
I guess have been under the impression that Mora was operating under a staff budget restraint hence his doubling up under his salary. IDK. Wasn't sure if there is an appetite to keep paying coaches not to coach here. I don't recall the timeline of Spanos' analyst hire someplace else and Mairaielli's elevation to a coordinator position. And TBH, I don't see the offensive genius in Charlton that Mora seems to think is there, we've had worse though.

Reaction Score
I guess have been under the impression that Mora was operating under a staff budget restraint hence his doubling up under his salary. IDK. Wasn't sure if there is an appetite to keep paying coaches not to coach here. I don't recall the timeline of Spanos' analyst hire someplace else and Mairaielli's elevation to a coordinator position. And TBH, I don't see the offensive genius in Charlton that Mora seems to think is there, we've had worse though.
Charlton is a Grade C- offensive coordinator and that’s being kind. The production tells you all you need to know. You have to deal with facts not feelings. If it’s players, then either you have the wrong ones or you aren’t using them in a productive way. It’s plainly obvious he asking players do things they can’t do well. Add in a poor sense of in-game opponent tendencies and adjustments, and you got a static, unsuccessful offense. If you watch how our games unfold, Charlton scripts some beautiful opening series possessions because he plans in advance. One he gets through 2 or 3 possessions, he’s cooked. The D adjusts, he does the same crap over and over, and panics with head scratching gimmicks. The guy is not going to get it done, and it’s proven.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe any of this is budgetary. AD David Benedict and HCJM are dedicated to trying to bring success. They’ve hired necessary managerial and analysts necessary for today’s environment. Overpaying someone is not likely to bring success.

Reaction Score
Charlton is a Grade C- offensive coordinator and that’s being kind. The production tells you all you need to know. You have to deal with facts not feelings. If it’s players, then either you have the wrong ones or you aren’t using them in a productive way. It’s plainly obvious he asking players do things they can’t do well. Add in a poor sense of in-game opponent tendencies and adjustments, and you got a static, unsuccessful offense. If you watch how our games unfold, Charlton scripts some beautiful opening series possessions because he plans in advance. One he gets through 2 or 3 possessions, he’s cooked. The D adjusts, he does the same crap over and over, and panics with head scratching gimmicks. The guy is not going to get it done, and it’s proven.
Spot on.

Reaction Score
the frequency of gimmick plays, especially first season but I also didnt watch much of this season due to IRL activities... way it worked out... 12/13 2022, 1/12 2023 for me. If he's still doing gadgets with that frequency. Who does he think he's fooling?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wasn't Charlton also important in the recruitment of Welliver? Pretty compelling combination of factors to keep Charlton on staff.
I didn't know that. That certainly would be a factor against firing him.

Reaction Score
I want to see Charlton with a capable arsenal of WRs. Guys who get consistent separation and complete catches. We moved the ball well in the first half against Tennessee and JMU but when you're in the redzone and field was shortened we just didn't have the athletes to win 1 on 1.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Wasn't Charlton also important in the recruitment of Welliver? Pretty compelling combination of factors to keep Charlton on staff.
I have no clue if this is true but when he wasn't let go after the season, the thought that CW coming here was closely tied to Charlton was the only explanation I could think of.

Reaction Score
He made a half million dollars last year. I have to think that $1 million to get the right guy here is a good investment.

IF true seems to point to a dire financial situation for football

Reaction Score
You want to win games you need a legit QB. No OC in FBS can function without one I don't care what their pedigree is. That's likely why Mora is holding on Charlton because he recognizes that anyone else will likely A) cost more; and B) won't achieve meaningfully different results. And legit QBs cost money which we don't have, notwithstanding Bleeding Blue for Good's best efforts.

Really it's all about the money at this point, put plainly. If you watched any of the WCBB game vs. SC today you could see plain as day how badly UCONN's competitive advantage has been eroded; presently men's BB is on an island for however long it lasts.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this logic holds but there were games last year we put up points and still lost due to defensive let downs. We also had several late game breakdowns and the offensive sputtered with some famously bad plays.

But if I had to pick one vs other I think it was more important to get a Defensive Coordinator than crossing the NC bridge - we’ll get to it if we must but let’s see what happens first 3-5 games this year with a hopefully improved defensive and our next Dan O on the bench / hopefully getting reps.

Reaction Score
You want to win games you need a legit QB. No OC in FBS can function without one I don't care what their pedigree is. That's likely why Mora is holding on Charlton because he recognizes that anyone else will likely A) cost more; and B) won't achieve meaningfully different results. And legit QBs cost money which we don't have, notwithstanding Bleeding Blue for Good's best efforts.

Really it's all about the money at this point, put plainly. If you watched any of the WCBB game vs. SC today you could see plain as day how badly UCONN's competitive advantage has been eroded; presently men's BB is on an island for however long it lasts.
WBB has been eroded to injury not money. There is 5, top 5 recruits hurting.

Reaction Score
The OC/AHC probably has a three year contract. This year he has to produce. I am guessing that there will be a consultant brought in the help him with his job in the preseason. Maybe tune up the playbook to better match the talent with the manpower in house. Whatever. This year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom