Now it hits the Big Boys wallets | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Now it hits the Big Boys wallets

Reaction Score
But football is their revenue - period.

Lots of insurance policies have exemptions for the types of items you mentioned. Could you buy high priced Speciality insurance to cover these things? Perhaps, but it’s tough justifying that expense for something that’s never happened before to close down a season. You would also have long court cases regarding if a school should have reasonably suspended football and that will be a high bar, especially if others do it successfully.

Once again ... you don't understand a topic; but rant anyway. Business interruption insurance should not have been unaffordable. Yes ... it's VERY common. And we answer the Pandemic variable every day: it would never have been outrageous in cost. This absolutely wasn't predictable or underwriteable. Going forward? Cost is far far higher.

Reaction Score
The point is the lack of will and creativity from universities to adjust their business models when circumstances change. First reaction is always to say that they're underfunded rather than get creative and make tough choices like the rest of society has to do. 'We need more money', 'we need to raise student fees', 'we need more help from the state'. Meanwhile the bricks and mortar academic model will never be the same. High end schools will be fine but will start poaching students from next level schools who will do the same down the line. Academic Darwinism. Add in fewer kids in total going to college and fewer international students due to Covid and the whole model is going to crash.

The point is, well run organizations are resilient and have contingency plans for these events. Schools are not well run
Look at a school like Purdue- No tuition increases for 9 consecutive years but still maintains top 10 Engineering School. It can be done

Reaction Score
Terrible for those kids. They work their butts off too. Just not right.
I agree , these kids have the right to play for their schools. If the get Covid and die that is their right.

Reaction Score
Look at a school like Purdue- No tuition increases for 9 consecutive years but still maintains top 10 Engineering School. It can be done
Big difference, Purdue and IU are THE universities in Indiana. Sure, ND’s important now yet long played a different role than today. Very different, for example compared with the long-term, massive educational, financial and societal influences of Yale and to a lesser degree Trinity and Wesleyan in The Land of Steady Habits. Relatively speaking, PU and IU are very fortunate to have earned such B1G state, corporate, grant, and alumni support. Yup, wish for the same in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Big difference, Purdue and IU are THE universities in Indiana. Sure, ND’s important now yet long played a different role than today. Very different, for example compared with the long-term, massive educational, financial and societal influences of Yale and to a lesser degree Trinity and Wesleyan in The Land of Steady Habits. Relatively speaking, PU and IU are very fortunate to have earned such B1G state, corporate, grant, and alumni support. Yup, wish for the same in Storrs.
Living in CT I understand a lot of money and support from families goes to the Private Universities. However, as taxpayers we all directly pay into the state university system. I think we should have a flagship state University that is better run. In full disclosure my son chose Purdue over UConn because of a better ROI and not a huge price differential. A lot of young people are heading out of state for better opportunities.

Reaction Score
John While I agree with some of this, there was a great piece on the public university “business model” recently that I read. The New Yorker I think but could have been the Times. Most public universities were already under funded relative to where they where prior to the 2008 recession. As a result they have been operating based on unsustainable models for a while. Federal funds that go to students through such things as PELL grants and various student loans, and by increasing the numbers of non-state and international students who can pay full freight. And on Top of that over the past few decades universities have felt the need to add fairly expensive “fun” elements, gyms in dorms, apartments with all the amenities rather than double dorm rooms, movie Theaters and malls on campus. Recruiting students has become an industry that didn’t exist 20 years ago. And since no one focuses on education, after all most first time consumers are 18-19, faculty are no longer full time tenured professors but adjuncts. The makeup has gone from 70-30 to 45-55 full time to adjunct since the early 2000s. Now Covid 19 hits an the income side takes a huge hit, the schools have Fixed costs of these facilities and fewer students, thus fewer federal dollars since that money goes with the student. Despite their arrogance and supposed independence athletic departments are part of the larger institution so they are getting hit by both losses of their traditional income, tickets, tv , and getting hit by the same losses at the institutional level. They really couldn’t plan for that. UNC for example, or Michigan State face huge losses in covering the operating costs for everything from dorms to gyms to losses of literally millions in parking ticket revenue. Athletic departments have really just mirrored the activities of the larger universities building practice facilities with tons of amenities because you know football players and basketball players can’t possibly lift the same weights and need their own lazy rivers...now they have to carry those costs without the revenues just like their institutions.
Thanks for this. I have a stack of New Yorkers to read on vacation next month. Also electronic NYT access.

Reaction Score
Living in CT I understand a lot of money and support from families goes to the Private Universities. However, as taxpayers we all directly pay into the state university system. I think we should have a flagship state University that is better run. In full disclosure my son chose Purdue over UConn because of a better ROI and not a huge price differential. A lot of young people are heading out of state for better opportunities.
I absolutely love New England in the fall. But there is also an intense charm in the midwest during fall. I've spent some time in both Indiana and Wisconsin. Love those states in the fall.

Reaction Score
I absolutely love New England in the fall. But there is also an intense charm in the midwest during fall. I've spent some time in both Indiana and Wisconsin. Love those states in the fall.
I agree- Fall in New England is spectacular
If you are a big college football fan .....nothing beats Camp Randall in Madison for a big game in November

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Once again ... you don't understand a topic; but rant anyway. Business interruption insurance should not have been unaffordable. Yes ... it's VERY common. And we answer the Pandemic variable every day: it would never have been outrageous in cost. This absolutely wasn't predictable or underwriteable. Going forward? Cost is far far higher.
Been in the insurance and financial services industry 38 years but you know it better than me - sure. You have no clue.

C

Chief00

Not playing this year is ranked right up there with any one of our recent bad football coach hiring decisions.

Reaction Score
Been in the insurance and financial services industry 38 years but you know it better than me - sure. You have no clue.

Chief, you lose all credibility unless you are speaking in the third person.

Reaction Score
Not playing this year is ranked right up there with any one of our recent bad football coach hiring decisions.
Every state flagship university in the northeast has cancelled football: UMaine, UNH, UMass, URI, UConn, SUNY Albany, SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Stony Brook, Rutgers, Penn St., Delaware, Maryland. And, there was no way to make a reasonable schedule. As much as I think football could be played, the decision was the right one.

C

Chief00

Every state flagship university in the northeast has cancelled football: UMaine, UNH, UMass, URI, UConn, SUNY Albany, SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Stony Brook, Rutgers, Penn St., Delaware, Maryland. And, there was no way to make a reasonable schedule. As much as I think football could be played, the decision was the right one.

So you are advocating falling behind in football, just like many schools in the northeast do?

Reaction Score
UConn could have scheduled some meaningless games but would lose more money than not playing. UConn will be a more mature and hopefully better team. Most will agree it is a safer decision but really it was the easier decision.

Reaction Score
It was the right decision all around. I can see the argument to play or not play given the overall health of these kids, but I don't know how you justify the real or perceived risks to them. As for the spread of the virus to higher risk populations which includes many coaches and trainers, that becomes even more difficult to justify.

For UCONN specifically, and to be very frank, I think this plays into the programs chances to get back on its feet. This group is very young and needs more time for physical development. This program is in a really tough spot and I think this gives a better chance to get back on track. The scheduling was going to be a nightmare of the first order as well.

Reaction Score
So you are advocating falling behind in football, just like many schools in the northeast do?
UConn cannot actually fall any further behind in football than they already have and it has nothing to do with the virus. The virus actually is allowing UConn some time to catch its breath and see what the future will now bring. Once the conferences decided not to play out of conference, who would be left for UConn to play? When and where? UConn fell behind in football after the Fiesta Bowl and has never recovered.

C

Chief00

I can’t stress enough how unpopular this decision is with the players and the possibility of a transfer dam break that may result.

Reaction Score
I can’t stress enough how unpopular this decision is with the players and the possibility of a transfer dam break that may result.

time will tell. Let’s see how many key seniors and RS juniors jump ship in the next few months.. underclassmen with playing time issues now due to extra eligibility might jump ship but I’m more concerned about the older experienced ones leaving.

Reaction Score
I agree- Fall in New England is spectacular
If you are a big college football fan .....nothing beats Camp Randall in Madison for a big game in November
Have been to several games at Camp Randall. And State Street after a Badger victory is a zoo.

Reaction Score
Chief, you need to let it go. If you think UConn could have played this year, please list the 10 games and teams that UConn could have played this year as there were only 3 games on the schedule that could have been played, Army, Middle Tennessee, and Liberty.

Almost half of FBS schools have cancelled the fall season and all FCS, D2, and D3 conferences have cancelled football. Plus, the NCAA cancelled all fall sports championships. And, I’m confident there will be more football games postponed or cancelled.

Personally, I don’t think cancelling sports was the right decision, but the decision has been made and everyone needs to move on and focus on the future.

Reaction Score
Chief, you need to let it go. If you think UConn could have played this year, please list the 10 games and teams that UConn could have played this year as there were only 3 games on the schedule that could have been played, Army, Middle Tennessee, and Liberty.

Almost half of FBS schools have cancelled the fall season and all FCS, D2, and D3 conferences have cancelled football. Plus, the NCAA cancelled all fall sports championships. And, I’m confident there will be more football games postponed or cancelled.

Personally, I don’t think cancelling sports was the right decision, but the decision has been made and everyone needs to move on and focus on the future.
Does anyone know if UConn coaches are taking a voluntary pay cut like other schools?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if UConn coaches are taking a voluntary pay cut like other schools?
I don't know but they make next to nothing as it is so I'm not sure a pay cut really helps here.....

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Where are they going to transfer to? Half of FBS closed down. Who do the players expect UConn to play if they didn't shut it down? Your argument just doesn't make sense and if the players really aren't fans of it, I would imagine they'd see the reality of what they had ahead of them in terms of having a schedule of 3 teams....

Our players are smart, young men who can see what is happening around them in terms of not having a viable schedule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom