Now it hits the Big Boys wallets | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Now it hits the Big Boys wallets

Reaction Score
I imagine the players wanted to play but some of the better senior players were probably in favor of an extra year to improve and hopefully play more meaningful games and get noticed?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Been in the insurance and financial services industry 38 years but you know it better than me - sure. You have no clue.
No attack on a UConn fan but glad your not my agent.

Not playing this year is ranked right up there with any one of our recent bad football coach hiring decisions.

Your cred goes down hill each time you post, you even have lost your I know it all approach.
So you are advocating falling behind in football, just like many schools in the northeast do?
Explain who they should play and who would pay the freight. You rant and rattle but supply no solutions for those that have very hard decisions to make.

I can’t stress enough how unpopular this decision is with the players and the possibility of a transfer dam break that may result.
Please post all the players you have talked to and where they would possibly transfer to, that might be playing football in D1 that needs our players this year. It would be very helpful for some to understand your in depth knowledge of the UConn football situation.

Reaction Score
As a risk manager on Wall Street for the past 30 years I can personally attest to the fact that while pandemic insurance and resulting business interruption insurance was available pre COVID (and yes, I looked at the product), the cost of the product, deductibles and relatively small limits available didnt make sense from our prospective. It is hard to justify the spend for such a black swan event. Very few people bought it outside of specialty one time events such as the Tokyo Olympics or Wimbledon. Most of the hospitality and entertainment sector didnt buy it, and most of the Fortune 1000 didnt buy it. Your spend goes to things that are more likely to impact you, like windstorm, wildfires etc. For most of us that do this, you didnt pass on the coverage because you were clueless, you passed on it because you have a limited spend and try to use it where it makes the most sense, based on the most likely risks you see at the time. Now, of course, the coverage has dried up, but you may see some type of government backstop in the future like how we deal with terrorism risk through the TRIA act. Also, even if we did buy it, given the way the bank has performed during COVID, where we have made MORE money due to the pandemic, we wouldnt have had a BI claim to make anyway. Same thing happened to us post 9/11, we made MORE money after 9/11 than we were making before. Not every business loses during black swan events, some make more money. Which is exactly why you are seeing the disconnect to the pain of businesses on Main St, but Wall Street and companies like Amazon and Apple that are killing it.

Reaction Score
As a risk manager on Wall Street for the past 30 years I can personally attest to the fact that while pandemic insurance and resulting business interruption insurance was available pre COVID (and yes, I looked at the product), the cost of the product, deductibles and relatively small limits available didnt make sense from our prospective. It is hard to justify the spend for such a black swan event. Very few people bought it outside of specialty one time events such as the Tokyo Olympics or Wimbledon. Most of the hospitality and entertainment sector didnt buy it, and most of the Fortune 1000 didnt buy it. Your spend goes to things that are more likely to impact you, like windstorm, wildfires etc. For most of us that do this, you didnt pass on the coverage because you were clueless, you passed on it because you have a limited spend and try to use it where it makes the most sense, based on the most likely risks you see at the time. Now, of course, the coverage has dried up, but you may see some type of government backstop in the future like how we deal with terrorism risk through the TRIA act. Also, even if we did buy it, given the way the bank has performed during COVID, where we have made MORE money due to the pandemic, we wouldnt have had a BI claim to make anyway. Same thing happened to us post 9/11, we made MORE money after 9/11 than we were making before. Not every business loses during black swan events, some make more money. Which is exactly why you are seeing the disconnect to the pain of businesses on Main St, but Wall Street and companies like Amazon and Apple that are killing it.

Much thanks for cogent and informative post. For a minute I forgot I was on the Boneyard :)

C

Chief00

No attack on a UConn fan but glad your not my agent.

Your cred goes down hill each time you post, you even have lost your I know it all approach.

Explain who they should play and who would pay the freight. You rant and rattle but supply no solutions for those that have very hard decisions to make.

Please post all the players you have talked to and where they would possibly transfer to, that might be playing football in D1 that needs our players this year. It would be very helpful for some to understand your in depth knowledge of the UConn football situation.
No disrespect, but I don’t have the time to answer all of your senseless nonsense. I am not an insurance agent, there are other jobs in the industry but that is where it all starts. We have rules about not discussing specific transfers and you display an ignorance about how the process works via NCAA rules. In theory, guys post availability in the portal - then they get contacted by other schools or reach out to them. There were plenty of schools they could have scheduled - not a premier schedule but one that got the players on the field. You show a lot of ignorance in nearly all your comments.

C

Chief00

Thank you and I agree as someone whose been in the insurance industry over 3 decades. This is what I was trying to explain to @Pudge. Companies have a limited pot of money to mitigate risk and must prioritize based on reasonable criteria. But, you explained it better. Black swan events are just that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
There were plenty of schools they could have scheduled - not a premier schedule but one that got the players on the field. You show a lot of ignorance in nearly all your comments.
Chief, please don't make statements that can't be supported with basic research.

UConn had 3 games on the schedule that could be played: Army, Liberty, and Middle Tennessee. There was a very limited number of teams that were even available to schedule and you would have to find a mutually agreeable date to play, which is not easy.

Here's a look:

P5 games:
Big 10 - no
Pac 12 - no
SEC - no
ACC - maybe 1 was available.
Big 12 - no
Independents - ND - no

G5:
MAC - no
Mountain West - no
AAC - probably not
Independents:
UMass - no
NM St. - no

I-AA: no

Old Dominion CUSA - no

Teams left:

BYU, CUSA teams and Sun Belt teams.

Bottom line, there were only 23 teams available to possibly schedule 7 to 9 games.

Maybe you think there could have been a schedule, but I don't think any reasonable person sees it that way.

C

Chief00

Chief, please don't make statements that can't be supported with basic research.

UConn had 3 games on the schedule that could be played: Army, Liberty, and Middle Tennessee. There was a very limited number of teams that were even available to schedule and you would have to find a mutually agreeable date to play, which is not easy.

Here's a look:

P5 games:
Big 10 - no
Pac 12 - no
SEC - no
Big 12 - no
Independents - ND - no

G5:
MAC - no
Mountain West - no
AAC - probably not
Independents:
UMass - no
NM St. - no

Old Dominion CUSA - no

Teams left:

Bottom line, there were only 23 teams available to possibly schedule 7 to 9 games.

Maybe you think there could have been a schedule, but I don't think any reasonable person sees it that way.
I don’t have time to research 300 schedules but didn’t ND just schedule USF? I can’t believe that other independents did not lose games and if we worked together couldn’t cobble together an imperfect season. The players almost to a man are totally disgusted with what went down. Not sure what Nebraska and Iowa finally decided to do? My guess is the Big Ten will reverse itself and play something. I think there may have been ACC opportunities too along with schools the level of Central. If we needed to play teams twice - so what? It would have really branded us as a football school. Big missed opportunity. If you are looking at it as the quality of the opponent - I think that’s the wrong view - this year it is all about the Will Power to play football - and we unfortunately failed that test. That would have been huge - regardless of who we played. Chess vs. checkers.
@Waquoit

Reaction Score
I don’t have time to research 300 schedules but didn’t ND just schedule USF? I can’t believe that other independents did not lose games and if we worked together couldn’t cobble together an imperfect season. The players almost to a man are totally disgusted with what went down. Not sure what Nebraska and Iowa finally decided to do? My guess is the Big Ten will reverse itself and play something. I think there may have been ACC opportunities too along with schools the level of Central. If we needed to play teams twice - so what? It would have really branded us as a football school. Big missed opportunity. If you are looking at it as the quality of the opponent - I think that’s the wrong view - this year it is all about the Will Power to play football - and we unfortunately failed that test. That would have been huge - regardless of who we played. Chess vs. checkers.
@Waquoit
There are 4 Indies playing football this year and UConn was already playing Army and Liberty. UConn probably could have scheduled a game against BYU. The USF/ND game was a surprise, but it didn't look like ND would need games. Remember, the ACC allows only 1 OOC game this year and and who thought they would cancel their annual game with Navy which happened after UConn announced they had cancelled the season? And, ND was scheduled to play Western Michigan on 9/19 until WMU cancelled football.

As for playing Indies 2x, I guess you could have played Liberty 2x as they have 10 games scheduled and BYU 2x as they have 8 games scheduled. Army has 12 games scheduled, so that would have been tough.

As for players being unhappy, EVRY player on EVERY team that is not playing this season is unhappy which shouldn't be a surprise. The job of every coach of every team that is not playing is to get their players excited for 2021 as there is nothing else you can do.

Reaction Score
@Waquoit
Oh Chief...it’s so sad to see how pathetic you have become...:(

C

Chief00

Oh Chief...it’s so sad to see how pathetic you have become...:(
You dudes don’t think out of the box. You will never be successful in a changing environment unless you learn that skill.

C

Chief00

There are 4 Indies playing football this year and UConn was already playing Army and Liberty. UConn probably could have scheduled a game against BYU. The USF/ND game was a surprise, but it didn't look like ND would need games. Remember, the ACC allows only 1 OOC game this year and and who thought they would cancel their annual game with Navy which happened after UConn announced they had cancelled the season? And, ND was scheduled to play Western Michigan on 9/19 until WMU cancelled football.

As for playing Indies 2x, I guess you could have played Liberty 2x as they have 10 games scheduled and BYU 2x as they have 8 games scheduled. Army has 12 games scheduled, so that would have been tough.

As for players being unhappy, EVRY player on EVERY team that is not playing this season is unhappy which shouldn't be a surprise. The job of every coach of every team that is not playing is to get their players excited for 2021 as there is nothing else you can do.
It’s a disaster and there’s more of a disconnect now between the head coach and the players than any time under Coach P or Cranberry pants. This year playing football should have been the goal and quite frankly it did not matter who we played or how many times we played a team. As teams dropped football, others teams needed opponents. The players are NOT excited about 2021 and many don’t even plan on being here anyways. Chief can’t believe the level of denial here.

Reaction Score
No disrespect, but I don’t have the time to answer all of your senseless nonsense. I am not an insurance agent, there are other jobs in the industry but that is where it all starts. We have rules about not discussing specific transfers and you display an ignorance about how the process works via NCAA rules. In theory, guys post availability in the portal - then they get contacted by other schools or reach out to them. There were plenty of schools they could have scheduled - not a premier schedule but one that got the players on the field. You show a lot of ignorance in nearly all your comments.
Laugh out VERY loud is all I can say. What you consider my senseless nonsense is simply quoting your senseless nonsense. ;)
Twice you mention my ignorance but you never mention your ego maniacal personality when it comes to being a know it all about UConn sports and what should be done during this pandemic.

I have my season tickets already rolled over to next season and accept what is the right thing to do. You being in the insurance industry should also be familiar with lawyers and what they do.
NO attack at bislaw who is a very good contributor to this forum but you should open your eyes to the big picture. You have the mentality of Wyatt Earp with the game plan of General Custer.

If possible put your own thoughts aside and think like you were a college AD or president. Your in insurance this should be at the top of your daily thoughts.

I could add multiple links but I'll understand your lack of time. I accept your assessment of me being ignorant with a tip of my UConn cap and hope you accept mine of you. That being one thinking they are a genus while lacking common sense.

C

Chief00

Laugh out VERY loud is all I can say. What you consider my senseless nonsense is simply quoting your senseless nonsense. ;)
Twice you mention my ignorance but you never mention your ego maniacal personality when it comes to being a know it all about UConn sports and what should be done during this pandemic.

I have my season tickets already rolled over to next season and accept what is the right thing to do. You being in the insurance industry should also be familiar with lawyers and what they do.
NO attack at bislaw who is a very good contributor to this forum but you should open your eyes to the big picture. You have the mentality of Wyatt Earp with the game plan of General Custer.

If possible put your own thoughts aside and think like you were a college AD or president. Your in insurance this should be at the top of your daily thoughts.

I could add multiple links but I'll understand your lack of time. I accept your assessment of me being ignorant with a tip of my UConn cap and hope you accept mine of you. That being one thinking they are a genus while lacking common sense.
Nothing personal, it’s just tough when the players say one thing and I see post after post saying the players don’t feel that way. @WallStreetHusky confirmed Chief’s understanding of risk and insurance for Covid after I was attacked by @Pudge and others saying I did not understand insurance or risk management. Again in post after post despite me working in the industry for 3 decades and not them.
So, despite being called all kinds of Names for making the two accurate claims here, I apologize for calling you ignorant - it was meant in a very targeted way on these two issues - not in a wholistic manner.

Reaction Score

Here's a look:

P5 games:
Big 10 - no
Pac 12 - no
SEC - no
Big 12 - no
Independents - ND - no

G5:
MAC - no
Mountain West - no
AAC - probably not
Independents:
UMass - no
NM St. - no

Old Dominion CUSA - no

Teams left:

Jim excellent analysis. Very well thought out.

Reaction Score
Football Chief feels so much different than basketball Chief

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It’s a disaster and there’s more of a disconnect now between the head coach and the players than any time under Coach P or Cranberry pants. This year playing football should have been the goal and quite frankly it did not matter who we played or how many times we played a team. As teams dropped football, others teams needed opponents. The players are NOT excited about 2021 and many don’t even plan on being here anyways. Chief can’t believe the level of denial here.

I'm hearing the mood is a little down, but its not a disaster. Kids were largely in on the cancellation when it was decided at the very end of July and announced in early Aug. Now the kids are feeling the inevitable let down as the lost season stares us all in the face come Sept/Oct/Nov. I also hear not everyone feels like practicing, especially the modified socially distanced way they are practicing.

Yes, I am sure 2 to 4 kids will transfer out at the end of the semester, but that is totally normal. I would put the abnormal line at 6 or more.

Where this program needs to put it in gear and start being a serious football program again is this spring. Edsall needs to be sure this administration is realistic and ready for a real spring football practice with contact. He needs to be proactive and get the University medical community on board with something more than what is permitted right now. Its unlikely we will have some sort of bright line transition out of COVid as vaccines come on line this winter. It will still be a foggy time about health, albeit the fog will be thinner. We can't go into spring 2021 as one of the few programs not returning to full action. If the remaining programs pull off this fall season, you can bet ~125 of the 129 other FBS programs will be approaching spring as close to business as usual as possible on the practice field (while continuing to do all the test precautions we can reasonably take off the field).

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Good let them go. We have already seen how the transfer portal has worked out for kids leaving Uconn lol

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Penn State FB's team doctor says that “When we looked at our COVID-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles (are) inflamed,” Sebastianelli said. “And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now. " What kind of numbnuts want to have these guys play?

Reaction Score
Penn State FB's team doctor says that “When we looked at our COVID-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles (are) inflamed,” Sebastianelli said. “And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now. " What kind of numbnuts want to have these guys play?
The kind that refer to themselves in the third person.

Reaction Score
I heard the big 10 will start on 11/11 at 11:11

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom