Nova game thoughts | The Boneyard

Nova game thoughts

Reaction Score
Too many trying to blame Hurley, Whaley, Cole whomever for this loss. Sure there's a few things you would've like for them all to do but kids needed to step up and no one did, NO ONE. Some think it's ok to lose to the supposed #10 team in the country as well. For me no it's not probably because they aren't that good and if they are, they sure didn't look all that good yesterday. The only thing that was definite was how bad our team looked in the 2nd half.

So while we love to applaud and throw confetti when our best player, who is really really good, plays well we need to offer truth when he doesn't. I mean it could have been because the elbow left him with a bad left for the 2nd half, ok. But if so, no matter you can't afford to try to make the plays that turned into disaster possessions and you need to have a better attitude. He was all smiles and a positive teammate the first half but 2nd half that all turned to a less than positive facial expression most often I actually didn't like the look. Not good for the team that leans on you and seems to play to the flow you bring. Yeah he still got his 20 and 11 but not at all a factor other than not making a shot until the last minute of the 2nd half. Add to that his defense was atrocious, absolutely lost his guy numerous times leading to lay ups, open looks and turmoil amongst the other defenders who got into foul trouble.

So for me all in all, most of the blame for this one goes to the guy you ride to the finish line. There were no passengers because he left them stranded too often. He gets his kudos and we kill everyone else, this one rests on Bouk, not all but he was a catalyst in the 2nd half debacle. He needs to right the ship if he's healthy, play both ends with some effort.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s easier to smile when your fresh and your body is feeling good. Bouk took some hits and falls that wore him down. You have to work harder when your body isn’t 100%. He looked gassed second half for sure. I think his unhappiness at his inability to be the explosive guy he was the first half was evident in his facial expression. I don’t see that he had a negative attitude at all.

Reaction Score
It’s easier to smile when your fresh and your body is feeling good. Bouk took some hits and falls that wore him down. You have to work harder when your body isn’t 100%. He looked gassed second half for sure. I think his unhappiness at his inability to be the explosive guy he was the first half was evident in his facial expression. I don’t see that he had a negative attitude at all.

I respect what you saw. I will say this early 2nd half when he wasn't gassed and going to the foul line he looked at the bench asking something before the FT, after hearing what he heard he rolled his eyes like he disagreed with the coach. There was too much of it to look the other way, hope it's just one game.

Reaction Score
Bouk is an exceptional talent and by far our best player but what he saw in the Nova game is the new normal for him now. Bouk is too quick and agile to defend straight up, one on one. Instead, teams are going to beat him up, knock him down every play, and then bring the double team. If I am an opposing coach I've seen enough of Bouk to know if you make the game super physical you can get in his head.

In the first half Bouk kept us in the game. But a couple hard fouls and knocks to the ground seemed take Bouk mentally out of the game. Yes I know he is hurt but playing through "hurt" is part of the game. Straight up, Bouk's body language was terrible in the second half, it was like a combination of injuried and frustrated. Moreover, it seemed to me Bouk was sulking instead of fuming.

Final thought...UConn lost by 8 yesterday and Bouk had the ball stolen for layups at least twice (-4) and missed 4 free throws. That is the points difference is the game. But perhaps worse than misplays was the attitude and body language. Bouk is our leader and how he carries himself matters.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Bouk was humbled yesterday it sounded like it during the press conference. Tasting humility for a player of his caliber, can be a good thing at his age.

He still has development to do, and of course prove he's a winner or can carry his team to a successful ending. I know he's gone, but yesterday did show he could benefit with one more year of D1. He would certainly be 1st team AA with an experienced (playing together) supporting cast with unlimited possibilities for the team. The injury, lack of games and surrounded by so many new parts hampered him this season.

Just got to enjoy him while he's here though. Even with his faults he's dominating. The NBA will develop him (with pay), especially with the right team.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Bouk is an exceptional talent and by far our best player but what he saw in the Nova game is the new normal for him now. Bouk is too quick and agile to defend straight up, one on one. Instead, teams are going to beat him up, knock him down every play, and then bring the double team. If I am an opposing coach I've seen enough of Bouk to know if you make the game super physical you can get in his head.
Which is why, IMHO, Hurley should have sprinkled in some BA to hammer away at Gillespie with some hard fouls.

In the 2nd half when it was obvious nobody could hit the side of a barn, I would've liked to see Hurley throw in all the trees together for a minute or two, just for a different look and to see if it might've generated some much needed offense. Sure the defense would've likely suffered, but it's not like Nova wasn't scoring at will during stretches.

Reaction Score
Which is why, IMHO, Hurley should have sprinkled in some BA to hammer away at Gillespie with some hard fouls.

In the 2nd half when it was obvious nobody could hit the side of a barn, I would've liked to see Hurley throw in all the trees together for a minute or two, just for a different look and to see if it might've generated some much needed offense. Sure the defense would've likely suffered, but it's not like Nova wasn't scoring at will during stretches.

No doubt on Brendan, I am beginning to wonder what else happened for these DNPs?

Reaction Score

In the first half Bouk kept us in the game. But a couple hard fouls and knocks to the ground seemed take Bouk mentally out of the game. Yes I know he is hurt but playing through "hurt" is part of the game. Straight up, Bouk's body language was terrible in the second half, it was like a combination of injuried and frustrated. Moreover, it seemed to me Bouk was sulking instead of fuming.

Final thought...UConn lost by 8 yesterday and Bouk had the ball stolen for layups at least twice (-4) and missed 4 free throws. That is the points difference is the game. But perhaps worse than misplays was the attitude and body language. Bouk is our leader and how he carries himself matters.

Agree. When his shot wasn't falling in the second half, I would have liked to see him use himself as a decoy, draw defenders to him and dish it off to a teammate.

Reaction Score

Yes, should have used Adams to pound Gillespie and also keep some fouls from others.

Reaction Score
Why should Bouk have to carry this entire load? If we don’t have anyone else to chip in then get better players. Next year is a big worry.

Reaction Score
Why should Bouk have to carry this entire load? If we don’t have anyone else to chip in then get better players. Next year is a big worry.

No one asked him to carry the whole load did they? But we all jack off when does good so when he shows an attitude problem, goes 0-9 until the last 30 seconds, turns it over looking to go 1 on 3 and plays horrific defense is it ok to point that out? Or only when the future NBAer plays well can we post?

Not all on him but he's a major piece of the 2nd half debacle like it or not yet everyone blamed everyone else related to the program in threads but not him. I can handle missing shots all day happens. But not thinking of passing the ball and playing defense as he did is unacceptable.

Reaction Score
Some think it's ok to lose to the supposed #10 team in the country as well. For me no it's not probably because they aren't that good and if they are, they sure didn't look all that good yesterday. The only thing that was definite was how bad our team looked in the 2nd half.

Nova is #23 nationally in 3 point % (38.17), and #12 in number of treys made per game (10.2). Yesterday their shots weren't falling and they made 5 on 22.7% shooting.

So, while they hardly looked impressive, they found a way to win on an off day. That is the definition of a good basketball team. We lost on the road to a good team.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
What’s happened to Whaley, he used to be good for 10 pts automatic. Popping out, a few dunks. Can’t play the 4?

Reaction Score
Kemba had some very similar games late in his junior year right before The Run, particularly one against Marquette when he went about 8-27 from the field and looked visibly frustrated in a close loss to a good team.

The line between carrying your team when you are the man and trying to do too much when the other team is keying on you is razor thin. Walker and Bazz (and Caron) learned how to walk it better than anyone, it’s the next step in the evolution of Bouknight.

Reaction Score
BINGO Bouk ran out of gas 2nd half for many possible reasons.
I want a look of frustration when things aren't going well, shows how much he cared.
didn't see a look of negativity towards his teammates or lack of effort.
Bottom line could UCONN have won the game w a great effort? YES but some guys didn't that needed to have great games DIDN'T STEP UP.

PLUS NOVA A GREAT TEAM AND ACTUALLY BETTER THEN UCONN
** IS UCONN CAPABLE OF BEATING THEM? YES

Reaction Score
Good learning game for Bouk & team, unfortunately it came when UConn has a thin margin for error for ncaas. Part of becoming great like UConn legends of past is figuring out how to deal with physical defenses and learning how to pick spots and help team win thru that. This is why kids need multiple years in college to be truly NBA ready like RIP, Ray, Caron & Donyell were by the time they left. Those guys had dozens of big games like this to learn. Typical for today’s world, Bouks got to do this all on accelerating yet limited schedule.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
When Bouk's not at his best, it would be nice if any of his teammates would step up and make some shots. Nobody did yesterday. That's much more concerning to me than anything else.

Reaction Score
This is the first game Bouk has dealt with this type of adversity. In the loss to Creighton he still got his 40 and felt untouchable. It’s a learning experience, with the amount of attention defenses will be giving him, he should be getting 7-8 assists kicking out to open guys...assuming the hit the shots.

Reaction Score
What’s happened to Whaley, he used to be good for 10 pts automatic. Popping out, a few dunks. Can’t play the 4?
He definitely can’t play the 4. He’s lost all confidence with any shot over 4 feet.

Reaction Score
Bouk left points of the board. FT shooting biggest problem this game. Great scorers, Bouk is one, get to the line and convert. Not yesterday. He was gassed lost his confidence. Next man up. Martin not good enough. 3rd man Cole not good enough. We know the story. Need shooters around your best player that's how the game is played. Need bigs who.can stretch the floor. Imagine Bouk being Gillepsie and being able to walk down his man to the basket or 1 on 1 because there are 4 threats to hit 3s.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There aren't too many instances under this "COMPLETE REBUILD" where, after a jolt, DH and the team pop back in-game with the adjustments that right the ship.

This year: Polley vs. Marquette, after Bouknight went down. What else? Not much.

Nonetheless, better than last year until late in the cut-short season, and we are now at "late," and with approximately 10 games fewer having been played.

So far, it's not the Hurley MO to bounce back during the game. The adjustments come 1 or 2 games later. In real time, it means that he got outcoached and/or the players didn't step up to the challenge presented when we lose. Look at who he's coaching against, and look at who the oplosing players are. Very upgraded from last year.

In other words, take a look back at the AAC, but just glancing is enough.

This patterning of not instantly shifting leaves me unhappy with each loss's outcome, but none of it surprises me. It's observable so.

More often than not, there have been noticeable responsive adjustments in the aftermath, and that is hopeful. And yeah, some aren't yet addressed or successful. Pick the one that bothers you the most if you must.

This season in particular, and in the context of the Hurley rebuild/reboot starting point (plus the significant conference shift), the 'hits' just keep on coming. Many punches to roll with.

To me, the biggest criticism I'd level is that the coach and team are not masters of resilience in real time, or on short notice. That's the high bar that would be required for a 'special' season, but not cause for extended panic in this abbreviated, multiply-interrupted "Season 3 of a Complete Rebuild." And the option to yet improve is not yet completely foreclosed, though the clock is ticking.

It's 16 games in, and obviously it's been irregular for all teams, and will continue to be. Some have responded better than others, but take note: UConn is the #34 Kenpom and #58 NET team. And, many of us believe the team could/should be as good as, say, 12-4, or even 14-2.

I'm going to root like heck for the coaches and players to win at least 3 of the next 4, with strong prefetence for ALL of them. It's doable, and will require everybody to do their best. Even the fanbase. Come join me.

And count your syllables before AND after you post your haiku. If you find an error, correct it before tip-off. If the error goes into the game, correct it during the game. If you want to comment on your correction, or anything else...

Do ALL as haiku
Doing so stokes the mojo
5, 7, then 5

Last edited:

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
He definitely can’t play the 4. He’s lost all confidence with any shot over 4 feet.
Who’s the best 4 man available? Need Sanogo as a starter. What happened to Metallica Whaley? When will our Coaches tweak this?

Reaction Score
Who’s the best 4 man available? Need Sanogo as a starter. What happened to Metallica Whaley? When will our Coaches tweak this?
Good question. But it’s clear he can’t play w Sanogo on the offensive end. It’s 4 against 5.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Too many trying to blame Hurley, Whaley, Cole whomever for this loss. Sure there's a few things you would've like for them all to do but kids needed to step up and no one did, NO ONE. Some think it's ok to lose to the supposed #10 team in the country as well. For me no it's not probably because they aren't that good and if they are, they sure didn't look all that good yesterday. The only thing that was definite was how bad our team looked in the 2nd half.

So while we love to applaud and throw confetti when our best player, who is really really good, plays well we need to offer truth when he doesn't. I mean it could have been because the elbow left him with a bad left for the 2nd half, ok. But if so, no matter you can't afford to try to make the plays that turned into disaster possessions and you need to have a better attitude. He was all smiles and a positive teammate the first half but 2nd half that all turned to a less than positive facial expression most often I actually didn't like the look. Not good for the team that leans on you and seems to play to the flow you bring. Yeah he still got his 20 and 11 but not at all a factor other than not making a shot until the last minute of the 2nd half. Add to that his defense was atrocious, absolutely lost his guy numerous times leading to lay ups, open looks and turmoil amongst the other defenders who got into foul trouble.

So for me all in all, most of the blame for this one goes to the guy you ride to the finish line. There were no passengers because he left them stranded too often. He gets his kudos and we kill everyone else, this one rests on Bouk, not all but he was a catalyst in the 2nd half debacle. He needs to right the ship if he's healthy, play both ends with some effort.
Every time he got a shot altered or the ball taken away from him, he gave the nearest ref that pouty look. I have a 10 (or is she eleven? I'd better check with my wife) year old great granddaughter who has a similar facial structure to Bouk, and she has that same look when she isn't treated like a princess.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom