Nov 4th Media Availability | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nov 4th Media Availability

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

“She is highly skilled,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “When she’s in a state of calm, she makes an open shot. She’s a good passer. She works really hard defensively. She’s got good hands and good feet and she’s long. …

“I don’t think she’s one of the ones I’m worried about getting minutes. She’s gonna play. She’s good.”
On my wish list:

Dorka in a state of calm.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The last player like that which I can recall was Kelly Faris (quite a while ago now), about whom he said (before the first game) that she would probably never have a bad game at UConn. (He meant that her floor game was so good that even if her shot wasn't falling, she would play well enough to contribute in every other way.)

He was off by one -- she did have a really bad game against Duke in her freshman year. I think that was the only one she had in four years.

What I sense in Caroline Ducharme (even before I see her play) is that I think she has some of Paige's immunity to the pressure of expectations and UConn basketball generally. I think she will play to her talent level almost immediately, whatever that is. I don't see Azzi as having that level of calm and composure, so I won't be surprised if Caroline Ducharme is more consistent than Azzi in the early games.
I like that Caroline and Azzi are really close friends and are somewhat comparable in what we might expect from them early so I think their a healthy good natured intensity competition between those two.

Reaction Score
Geno will push and push but it will be particularly effective with Paige filtering the message to make it fit Azzi's personality which seems alot more sensitive than Paige's

As an example, I for one think Azzi slapping Geno's tushy will not happen. ;)
My description of Azzi is "unaffected". I think she just goes about her business, doesn't have ups and downs, doesn't take herself too seriously. I'm a teacher and occasionally you'll get a student like that. They don't care about teasing, they don't care about the latest fads, they have tons of friends but there's no trauma. They study, but they don't stress about it. They are on-time and always where they're supposed to be. They laugh easily but they are able to stay focused all the time. I get a kick out of it.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
In my nutty head, I am mapping Caroline to be our next KLS and Aaliyah to be our next Napheesa (perhaps a bit less on the offensive side but Napheesa was not Napheesa as a Freshman either) and while I am projecting, Paige as a hybrid of DT & Sue , Azzi as a mix of Maya and KML.

Oh crap, where is our Stewie? :p:p:p

Listening to Geno, it seems that Dorka's also a long, tall lady with good moves around the basket and the ability to stretch the defense to the 3-pt line. We already know she can rebound, too. Maybe not the same level as Stewie on all fronts, but lots of the same attributes.

Reaction Score
Azzi is going to have to work to get shots off though. Her game is very much about hitting open looks. I imagine Geno will do some set plays for her to get open shots. She's not bad off the dribble but she isn't a speed demon. It wouldn't surprise me if she puts up good numbers but overall I think her game is efficiency. She's more of a high skilled artisan rather than a top athlete. She's similar to Paige in many ways. Maybe an even better shot but a little less quickness and creativity. What I like most about her is that she makes good decisions with the ball and can shoot well. What I think she MAY need work on is she came from private school ball to a degree. Those kids are not your super aggressive types. I know she's played a lot of AAU and USA basketball but I still see that private school player in her game. She may need to toughen up her defense some rather than just stand with her hands in the air. My bet is she supplements, rather than leads. She doesn't turn the ball over much and she hits some shots. She's like a Tom Brady offense. She manages the game well and nickle and dimes you to death by executing the game plan efficiently. Not a lot of missed shots. Not a lot of mistakes. Good defense. It's interesting though that when her team needed her in big games in high school she did deliver. She performs well under pressure.

Reaction Score
In my nutty head, I am mapping Caroline to be our next KLS and Aaliyah to be our next Napheesa (perhaps a bit less on the offensive side but Napheesa was not Napheesa as a Freshman either) and while I am projecting, Paige as a hybrid of DT & Sue , Azzi as a mix of Maya and KML.

Oh crap, where is our Stewie? :p:p:p
Dorka! Until now she has been playing with a bunch of Junior High kids and an Elementary School coach. Get ready to see a combination of Bird and Russell once she has some other great players around her and coaches that know what they are doing.

Oops - looks like JRRRJ just beat me to it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Azzi is going to have to work to get shots off though. Her game is very much about hitting open looks. I imagine Geno will do some set plays for her to get open shots. She's not bad off the dribble but she isn't a speed demon. It wouldn't surprise me if she puts up good numbers but overall I think her game is efficiency. She's more of a high skilled artisan rather than a top athlete. She's similar to Paige in many ways. Maybe an even better shot but a little less quickness and creativity. What I like most about her is that she makes good decisions with the ball and can shoot well. What I think she MAY need work on is she came from private school ball to a degree. Those kids are not your super aggressive types. I know she's played a lot of AAU and USA basketball but I still see that private school player in her game. She may need to toughen up her defense some rather than just stand with her hands in the air. My bet is she supplements, rather than leads. She doesn't turn the ball over much and she hits some shots. She's like a Tom Brady offense. She manages the game well and nickle and dimes you to death by executing the game plan efficiently. Not a lot of missed shots. Not a lot of mistakes. Good defense. It's interesting though that when her team needed her in big games in high school she did deliver. She performs well under pressure.
Super insights!
They used to call her high school league the Metro Conference. Tremendous competition. Among the best conferences in the country. DeMatha, Carroll, Good Council, St. John’s, McNamara. The list of boys that played major college and professional hoops from the metro is a long one. Can’t speak about the girls.
I went to Montgomery Blair class of 1975. We won the MD state title 4A in 75. In 73 we played DeMatha with Adrian Dantley. I think he had like 25 in about 2 and a half quarters. As good as we were they just toyed with us.
Long story short, the Metro conference is big time.

Reaction Score
Geno had more good things to say about Caroline Ducharme, including one that slightly surprised me. He said that Caroline is (almost?) as good at penetrating to the rim as Evina and Christyn. That isn't something I would have expected from her.
Have you seen video? That is a major part of her game; she is totally fearless going to the basket.

Reaction Score
Private school player?! Oh my goodness gracious, land sakes alive.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is that Aubrey with the leg brace and does Nika have her thigh wrapped?
Nika is our headlong guard so she's going to be wearing a lot of tape I'm figuring.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw #1 Mater Dei when Kaleena was there. They played full court press all game and were aggressive. But perhaps the most aggressive team I've seen was Bishop McNamara. Though the games were close, Azzi and SJC beat them fairly consistently. McNamara was loaded--Jakia Brown-Turner (NC State honorable mention AA), Madison Scott (Ole Miss SEC frosh of the year), and Aliyah Matharu (Miss State transfer to Texas). Azzi has had no shortage of tough competition.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I somewhat agree with you, though I have no real idea what the "private school" mindset is meant to be. I'll repeat the things I've seen with Azzi that seem to stand out to me:

1) Offensively she has the best pull up I've ever seen, especially moving from her left to right, and she can hit her shots with a hand in her face or a body on her. She doesn't hit only open shots. Even so her shot is great from any part of the half and quarter court. She knows her spots on the floor, finds them quickly, and knows how to get open shots. She is not the athlete that Patterson is, but few are. But the beauty of her game is how she gets the ball in a ready position to shoot, how quickly she gets that shot off, the position of her release, and how little wasted motion there is to it. Geno as well as I have noted how well she gets the ball to the cup. I've noted how well she finishes with either hand on either side of the basket. She has a nice power drive to the hoop and a nice variety of shots around the rim. When Geno says his concern is about "getting her enough shots" and how it's partially her fault and partially the teams fault, he's referring to her movement without the ball. This is not uncommon for players coming out of HS where they've become accustomed to working off the dribble. That's not how Geno's offense works, and for someone that has such a good pull up, getting her shot off through movement should be no problem. However, I think you give her little credit for her aggressiveness. The kid is an assassin. If you play up on her shot she'll dribble around you for the pull up. If you mark her hard she'll butter up the cup all night. If you lay off her she'll bury you from the arc. She also doesn't turn the ball over and is a terrific passer. Let me remind you that Azzi is already the best FT shooter on the team, and it wouldn't surprise me if she shoots 90% from the line. One opposing coach said he'd never seen her miss a FT. Teams will hesitate to foul her on the perimeter, on drives, or on her pull up for fear of an and one. Speed? Evina and CW are both slower than Azzi in say a 60 yard dash. Speed doesn't make you a great player.

2) During HS Azzi typically was their defensive stopper. Toughen up her defense? Geno has complimented her on her defense, a distinct rarity. Make no mistake, this young lady is an all around player. She always had the other teams best, and she's well accustomed to going hard on both ends all night. Azzi does far more than just stand around with her hands in the air. She stays with her mark, moves her feet well, keeps her hands up, and keeps position on head fakes. She is far stronger than she looks, and when you see her body type you'll note her solid upper body.

3) A supplementary player? A game manager? The kids been a leader on every team she's been on, and trust me, hitting the majority of her 3's ain't nickle and dimeing anyone. Don't be surprised if Azzi joins the 50/40/90 club almost immediately. Her weaknesses are occasionally deferring to other players and communicating on the court. She's all about the team. Because she prefers to lead by example like Sue don't underestimate the fire she plays with, because it's there.
Good defense. It's interesting though that when her team needed her in big games in high school she did deliver. She performs well under pressure.
That's what leader do, not complimentary players or followers.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Nika says Caroline is her funniest teammate, then when asked clarifies that she (Nika) is the funniest, with Caroline second.

Now that IS funny!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom