Nov 4th Media Availability | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nov 4th Media Availability

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Azzi is like Kaleena in that, regardless of how many shots she gets, you want her to get even more.

Don't underestimate Azzi Fudd!
People still will. But I did predict that like Paige, early on Geno berate her for deferring to her teammates and not taking enough shots. It's already started.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
People still will. But I did predict that like Paige, early on Geno berate her for deferring to her teammates and not taking enough shots. It's already started.
Geno will push and push but it will be particularly effective with Paige filtering the message to make it fit Azzi's personality which seems alot more sensitive than Paige's

As an example, I for one think Azzi slapping Geno's tushy will not happen. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Pretty shocked at this point if that #1 line isn't the starting five. Probably the main rotation there with a healthy Griffin, Nika, and some Caroline Ducharme mixed in.
and Nika

Reaction Score
KML is a very good target for Azzi to meet (at least in the first 2 years) KML had tricks of her own like using her body inside . I will be satisfied if Azzi has a Freshman Season like KML. (15 pts per game 5.4 rb. game) although KML only shot 38% from 3pt and then make the same Sophomore jump KML had.
Nice Post!
I appreciate the heck out of KML! I think Azzi's gunna be another superstar. (knock on wood) UConn will have two on the floor at the same time. With other solid players contributing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice Post!
I appreciate the heck out of KML! I think Azzi's gunna be another superstar. (knock on wood) UConn will have two on the floor at the same time. With other solid players contributing.
In my nutty head, I am mapping Caroline to be our next KLS and Aaliyah to be our next Napheesa (perhaps a bit less on the offensive side but Napheesa was not Napheesa as a Freshman either) and while I am projecting, Paige as a hybrid of DT & Sue , Azzi as a mix of Maya and KML.

Oh crap, where is our Stewie? :p:p:p

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice comparison but Azzi has mad game off the dribble.

Kaleena torched Berkeley in the California title game with her mid-range jumpers.

I've seen Azzi play 9x. Her driving lefty scoop shot is a great counter to the other parts of her arsenal. Azzi has a mid-range shot and a 3-point shot on a par with the great Sue Bird.

Reaction Score
In my nutty head, I am mapping Caroline to be our next KLS and Aaliyah to be our next Napheesa (perhaps a bit less on the offensive side but Napheesa was not Napheesa as a Freshman either) and while I am projecting, Paige as a hybrid of DT & Sue , Azzi as a mix of Maya and KML.

Oh crap, where is our Stewie? :p:p:p
Makes sense to my nutty head.
Not sure Sue and DT is a perfect comparison. Not sure there's ever been two like UConn's gunna have. I can't wait. Maybe Curry and Thompson. Pippen and Jordan. LeBron and AD. See Paige is a scorer too. I think it's gunna be insane.
Paige is my Larry. They come around every generation or so. Azzi? Think of a scorer and all-around player that is flat-out automatic when they get loose. Bill Bradley, Kevin McHale? And does it effortlessly and with style and grace. I'm still thinking...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

“She is highly skilled,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “When she’s in a state of calm, she makes an open shot. She’s a good passer. She works really hard defensively. She’s got good hands and good feet and she’s long. …

“I don’t think she’s one of the ones I’m worried about getting minutes. She’s gonna play. She’s good.”

Reaction Score
Kaleena torched Berkeley in the California title game with her mid-range jumpers.

I've seen Azzi play 9x. Her driving lefty scoop shot is a great counter to the other parts of her arsenal. Azzi has a mid-range shot and a 3-point shot on a par with the great Sue Bird.
Hey, are you watching "Swagger" on Apple+? Story based on the life of KD. Shows him coming of age, U14, in DC AAU. Seat Pleasant, MD. He has a cute "girlfriend" named Crystal in the show. Learning more about her character. I bet we see a little Azzi in her. As girls are at that age, she's a little more serious than he is. New episode tomorrow I think.
BTW my HS, St. Anselm's coached by the legend Bob Dwyer, played Flint Hill when I was in school. Mike Pepper (UNC), later Dennis Scott. Stu Vetter moved to Montrose Catholic and coached KD. We used to beat Flint Hill before they got big. We had a D1 center, named Steve Castellan, started at UVA pre-Sampson. John Thompson had a falling out with Dwyer when Dwyer said Steve was the best center he ever coached. Oops, Dwyer coached Big John at Archbishop Carroll, still called the best HS squad in the history of Washington, DC.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Geno had more good things to say about Caroline Ducharme, including one that slightly surprised me. He said that Caroline is (almost?) as good at penetrating to the rim as Evina and Christyn. That isn't something I would have expected from her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Great article. Sounds like the pieces are beginning to fall into place. Geno is reserved, but very, very positive.
Yes, praise for the offense in the scrimmage. Praise for Azzi and Caroline.

Reaction Score
Yes, praise for the offense in the scrimmage. Praise for Azzi and Caroline.
There wasn't a word about the defense, and naturally no mention of a final score, but I'm guessing UConn won by at least two points.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

OMG. This season can't start fast enough

This quote is just fantastic

Auriemma has also been pleased with the team’s ability to get to the basket, something that he said has been a point of emphasis. Returners Christyn Williams and Evina Westbrook are proven slashers, but Auriemma said Ducharme, who is primarily known for her 3-point shooting, is right there with them.
“She’s able to use her length to get to the basket a lot,” he said. “Between her and Christyn, and Azzi can too because people come out on her so hard, we’ve probably gotten the ball on the rim more times already this year than we did all last year,” Auriemma said. “[Ducharme is] really good at it.”

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Full Geno quote on Nika (in Alexa's tweets):

“She plays harder than everybody else. She competes harder than other players. She may be physically tougher than the other kids. So there's a lot of things that go into her makeup that separate her from other kids on the team. I think people will probably be surprised if I said that nobody on our team works harder than Paige. But you'd be hard pressed to say Paige works harder than Nika. So when you work that hard and you're that tough and you're fearless and you're that competitive, things open up for you."

Reaction Score
You can tell Geno really loves Caroline who’s the last player who came in their freshman year who he gave all this praise to without it being a megastar ala. Paige and Azzi

Reaction Score
Full Geno quote on Nika (in Alexa's tweets):

“She plays harder than everybody else. She competes harder than other players. She may be physically tougher than the other kids. So there's a lot of things that go into her makeup that separate her from other kids on the team. I think people will probably be surprised if I said that nobody on our team works harder than Paige. But you'd be hard pressed to say Paige works harder than Nika. So when you work that hard and you're that tough and you're fearless and you're that competitive, things open up for you."
Should we get into another debate over Nika’s work ethic @CocoHusky ;);)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
You can tell Geno really loves Caroline who’s the last player who came in their freshman year who he gave all this praise to without it being a megastar ala. Paige and Azzi
The last player like that which I can recall was Kelly Faris (quite a while ago now), about whom he said (before the first game) that she would probably never have a bad game at UConn. (He meant that her floor game was so good that even if her shot wasn't falling, she would play well enough to contribute in every other way.)

He was off by one -- she did have a really bad game against Duke in her freshman year. I think that was the only one she had in four years.

What I sense in Caroline Ducharme (even before I see her play) is that I think she has some of Paige's immunity to the pressure of expectations and UConn basketball generally. I think she will play to her talent level almost immediately, whatever that is. I don't see Azzi as having that level of calm and composure, so I won't be surprised if Caroline Ducharme is more consistent than Azzi in the early games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom