Notre Dame's Young undecided on WNBA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame's Young undecided on WNBA

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Rachel is usually on the money and has broken news before.

Reaction Score
Probably best for ND to be honest. Young is part of the old guard and she should go out with that group that I assume represent the best team ND has ever had. I know it's not quite the same situation, but it would have been like if Tuck came back for a fifth season without Stewie and Mo. It just wouldn't have been the same, and Collier likely wouldn't have turned in the sophomore season she did with Tuck in the way. Sometimes it's best to acknowledge a rebuild, start fresh, and live or die with the growing pains of a young squad. ND probably has a few bumps in the road early on next season, but the young talent will have a whole year to play play play, so by March they will be a very good team.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Plebe: I agree with virtually all of your conclusions, but just want to insert some minor modifications. Of the four players you mention, only Turner started as a freshman and was perhaps the best Irish player in the loss to UConn in the finals after Achonwa suffered her knee injury in the closing seconds of an Elite Eight win over Baylor. Marina Mabrey and Arke came off the bench in the year that Mabrey1 (feels good to type that again) and Maddie Cable were starting. And Young also came off the bench her freshman year. Yet it does not take away from your point that Muffet gave them a lot of responsibility and air-time in tough situations, which had immediate benefit when all three moved in the starting lineups their sophomore year.

I also agree that Mik Vaughn, with even more time removed from her ACL injury, will be more explosive and fluid next year as she moves into the starting low-post position. And, yes, I look forward to having Peoples and Brunelle on campus and a full year out of Katlyn Gilbert, who was lost to a Turner-like shoulder injury in December.
Wow, I stand corrected. Geez, my memory is really bad :oops:

Reaction Score
I seem to remember a certain BY poster making an early prediction on MS Young declaring for the WNBA.

Good call.
Not a long limb to climb out on

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not a long limb to climb out on
Well I personally didn’t have a clue. UCCat called it over a month ago and it wasn’t so much a prediction as a statement of certainty.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Muffet’s like -

1554767305229.gif

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think you are mixing years. Achonwa's knee injury was 2014. Turner's freshman year was 2015. Of course, ND lost to UConn in the championship game in both of those years.

Thanks...you're right (of course!). In 2014, the Irish frontcourt of Ariel Braker and Taya Reimer had nearly as many fouls (six) as points (eight). Michaela Mabrey (Mabrey1) came off the bench for a solid 10-point effort. It was 2015 that Turner tried to pick up the slack. Too much information transpiring the last few days....:rolleyes: ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Wow, I stand corrected. Geez, my memory is really bad :oops:

Oh, no worries. I had a mistake a few lines down (thanks to Orangutan for the correction).
I heard a speaking coach once say that most humans take away no more than two points from any conversation or talk of any length. Max. Maybe the same holds true for writing at this point :rolleyes:;)

Well, MM and staff now have a completely clean slate with which to work. As many have said, it may be easier. Still, there are 5 McDonald's All-Americans on the roster this summer (Dani Patterson, Katlyn Gilbert, Jordan Nixon, Sam Brunelle, Anaya Peoples) and Abby Prohaska, a U.S. National team member who was the first guard off the bench most of the season. So there are players to work with...

Best of luck to Jackie...class act all the way. Will be really interesting which team she ends up on. Oh, that's (only) tomorrow!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom