Notre Dame's Young undecided on WNBA | The Boneyard

Notre Dame's Young undecided on WNBA

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have a strong feeling she's coming back. Muffet and staff will put the full court press on her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I have a strong feeling she's coming back. Muffet and staff will put the full court press on her.

MM completely impartial. :rolleyes:

"We'll just wait and see what she wants to do," Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw said. "I think she would have the opportunity to be the go-to person on the team [next season]. Have an opportunity to be a vocal leader and just continue to improve your game against the best defender. Because now that Arike [Ogunbowale] is gone, she'll see the best defender."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

"We'll just wait and see what she wants to do," Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw said. "I think she would have the opportunity to be the go-to person on the team [next season]. Have an opportunity to be a vocal leader and just continue to improve your game against the best defender. Because now that Arike [Ogunbowale] is gone, she'll see the best defender."
Because now that Arike is gone, Jackie will actually be able to touch the ball. :D

Reaction Score
I think she should leave. Her game and draft stock has really benefited from being on the floor with the personnel that ND had the past three years. The way I see it, she is a guard who can't shoot outside the paint. She is a great player and has some of the same limitations as Gabby Williams, but Gabby plays MUCH bigger than her size because of her freakish athleticism. Jackie Young, while athletic, isn't athletic enough to overcome the glaring omission in her game, which is shooting.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Muffet isn't wrong about that. Jackie will be thrust into an entirely different role. She has thus far really thrived on being somewhat under the radar on a starting five that was remarkably balanced. Next year she would basically be what Jewell Loyd was in her junior year, after McBride and Achonwa graduated.

Having said that, I think Notre Dame will be better next year than people seem to be expecting. Muffet has historically done a great job of two things: (a) reloading even after her All-Americans leave, and (b) getting huge contributions from freshmen. Turner, Mabrey, Ogunbowale and Young were starters and major contributors in their respective freshmen years; I suspect that Brunelle and Peoples may be standouts as well. I also think Vaughn will be ready for a coming-out party.

Never mind that it remains to be seen who wins the Transfer Sweepstakes this season. Just think how the picture changes if Evina Westbrook decides to take her talents to South Bend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

But for what reason? ND loses four of its top five players. She's already won a national championship and gone to the championship game again. She has nothing to prove to anyone. And every game she plays as an amateur is a game in which she risks career-ending injury. Look at Lauren Cox last night. Will she come back? Will she be the same as before her injury? How much in earnings will that injury cost her? And how much will Young forego in earnings over the next twelve months by staying at ND? How much more will she earn twelve months from now by staying?

The old college spirit is nice. But it doesn't pay the bills. These young athletes need to watch out for themselves.

Reaction Score

Right. Now how much will she earn for being that "go-to person on the team" next year?

Exactly.

Reaction Score
But for what reason? ND loses four of its top five players. She's already won a national championship and gone to the championship game again. She has nothing to prove to anyone. And every game she plays as an amateur is a game in which she risks career-ending injury. Look at Lauren Cox last night. Will she come back? Will she be the same as before her injury? How much in earnings will that injury cost her? And how much will Young forego in earnings over the next twelve months by staying at ND? How much more will she earn twelve months from now by staying?

The old college spirit is nice. But it doesn't pay the bills. These young athletes need to watch out for themselves.

Fairfield Fan- - -I agree 200%!
With the 4 seniors leaving ND will be a shadow of their former selves!
She has to leave the nest sometime, why not now when her stock is at it's highest!
If she does come out I can see her as a TOP 10 choice in the WNBA draft!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think she should leave. Her game and draft stock has really benefited from being on the floor with the personnel that ND had the past three years. The way I see it, she is a guard who can't shoot outside the paint. She is a great player and has some of the same limitations as Gabby Williams, but Gabby plays MUCH bigger than her size because of her freakish athleticism. Jackie Young, while athletic, isn't athletic enough to overcome the glaring omission in her game, which is shooting.

She's a different kind of player than Gabby. Gabby is a 3/4 and played more 4 than 3 last year. She has to play bigger than her size because she is very small for her position.

No one will play Jackie at 4. She is a 2/3 with prototypical size for her position. She can handle the ball and attack the rim better than Gabby, so she will be a better fit at 3 than Gabby. They do share the same weakness of questionable 3-point shooting.

I agree that Jackie needs to develop her jump shot and her midrange game. I think staying ND and taking on the responsibility of being the primary scorer would naturally help her do that.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Fairfield Fan- - -I agree 200%!
With the 4 seniors leaving ND will be a shadow of their former selves!
She has to leave the nest sometime, why not now when her stock is at it's highest!
If she does come out I can see her as a TOP 10 choice in the WNBA draft!

I think she would likely be preseason ACC POY and would be a heavy favorite for All-American honors and maybe even a potential NPOY candidate (or runner-up to Ionescu at least).

So not sure if her stock would be higher this year as opposed to next.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I view Young as ND’s “Swiss army knife.” She does a little bit of everything, and more importantly whatever ND needs at a particular point in a game. I think her skills translate well to the pro game, where she will likely go to a very good team as a late 1st round pick.

As others have indicated, should Young return she will be the prime focus of ND’s offense as well as opposing defenders. It will be interesting to see what she decides to do.

Reaction Score
This season, Young was considered the glue player on a great team and as such could be a top 6 pick in the draft. If she stays and all attention is on her, some of her deficiencies will be magnified. Next year draft will be much weaker than this years one so she still be a top 5 pick. So the question is what does she want to achieve. I think she'll stay

Reaction Score
I think she would likely be preseason ACC POY and would be a heavy favorite for All-American honors and maybe even a potential NPOY candidate (or runner-up to Ionescu at least).

So not sure if her stock would be higher this year as opposed to next.
Someone posted that in a mock draft, Jackie is the no. 2 pick, so no way that her stock will rise next year, so you are right about that. But, it can fall dramatically. Hmm.

Edit: the earliest I see is a 5th pick according to this link in a thread on the General sub forum
WNBA Summary of Mock Drafts

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Jackie has my utmost respect and admiration, which saying something as I really dislike most of the other ND attitudes. Selfishly, as a UConn fan, I want her to leave, however as a WCBB fan, she is on the short list of preseason NPOY and ACC POY.

I think ND will be ok next year but not a Final Four candidate. Elite 8 could be a reach for them. Wouldn’t NC State, FSU, Miami and Clemson all have good teams returning? Baylor, MD, SC, Oregon, Stanford, Texas A&M and OSU all have a good nucleus returning. Our squad will also be stronger than ND. That’s a lot teams to match with a heavy reliance on Jackie and freshman.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Muffet isn't wrong about that. Jackie will be thrust into an entirely different role. She has thus far really thrived on being somewhat under the radar on a starting five that was remarkably balanced. Next year she would basically be what Jewell Loyd was in her junior year, after McBride and Achonwa graduated.

Having said that, I think Notre Dame will be better next year than people seem to be expecting. Muffet has historically done a great job of two things: (a) reloading even after her All-Americans leave, and (b) getting huge contributions from freshmen. Turner, Mabrey, Ogunbowale and Young were starters and major contributors in their respective freshmen years; I suspect that Brunelle and Peoples may be standouts as well. I also think Vaughn will be ready for a coming-out party.

Never mind that it remains to be seen who wins the Transfer Sweepstakes this season. Just think how the picture changes if Evina Westbrook decides to take her talents to South Bend.

Plebe: I agree with virtually all of your conclusions, but just want to insert some minor modifications. Of the four players you mention, only Turner started as a freshman and was perhaps the best Irish player in the loss to UConn in the finals after Achonwa suffered her knee injury in the closing seconds of an Elite Eight win over Baylor. Marina Mabrey and Arke came off the bench in the year that Mabrey1 (feels good to type that again) and Maddie Cable were starting. And Young also came off the bench her freshman year. Yet it does not take away from your point that Muffet gave them a lot of responsibility and air-time in tough situations, which had immediate benefit when all three moved in the starting lineups their sophomore year.

I also agree that Mik Vaughn, with even more time removed from her ACL injury, will be more explosive and fluid next year as she moves into the starting low-post position. And, yes, I look forward to having Peoples and Brunelle on campus and a full year out of Katlyn Gilbert, who was lost to a Turner-like shoulder injury in December.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Plebe: I agree with virtually all of your conclusions, but just want to insert some minor modifications. Of the four players you mention, only Turner started as a freshman and was perhaps the best Irish player in the loss to UConn in the finals after Achonwa suffered her knee injury in the closing seconds of an Elite Eight win over Baylor.

I think you are mixing years. Achonwa's knee injury was 2014. Turner's freshman year was 2015. Of course, ND lost to UConn in the championship game in both of those years.

Reaction Score
She's a different kind of player than Gabby. Gabby is a 3/4 and played more 4 than 3 last year. She has to play bigger than her size because she is very small for her position.

No one will play Jackie at 4. She is a 2/3 with prototypical size for her position. She can handle the ball and attack the rim better than Gabby, so she will be a better fit at 3 than Gabby. They do share the same weakness of questionable 3-point shooting.

I agree that Jackie needs to develop her jump shot and her midrange game. I think staying ND and taking on the responsibility of being the primary scorer would naturally help her do that.
Besides the fact she’d have a degree from ND.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I really thought she would stay. Next Year it would have been her team and she would have gotten the accolades/recognition that Arike got this year. Probably an unexpected loss for Muffet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom