Notre Dame! | The Boneyard

Notre Dame!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, they're pretty damned good now. After watching so many teams of highly dubious merit play Sweet Sixteen games yesterday, it was a pleasure, even for a ND hater like me, to watch a team that looked like it truly belonged there.

Prophetically, in the immediate aftermath of the drubbing our favorite team handed the Irish (on their home court, no less) earlier in the season, Geno, when interviewed, talked about how both teams would "get better" come March. As usual, the coach was spot on!

One never knows for sure, but these two teams remain the class of WCBB, and I fully expect them to meet yet again in the NC game. And, assuming that both teams bring their A-game, which I also fully expect, the Huskies win again. But, on a purely relative basis, of the two, the Irish may have improved even more since earlier in the season. Just having Turner on the floor represents a huge presence they didn't have last time out. Interesting to me how much more she's contributing than A'ja is for SC. Allen is playing with much more confidence. But the biggest improvement for them comes in the form of Reimer who seems to now have her head on straight and is playing great.

Of course UConn is a better team now also. Compared to what they were earlier, MoJeff, Kia Nurse, and Gabby are all playing on a much higher level. I'd love to see Title #10 wind up in the trophy case in Storrs, but I think the potential exists for a real barn-burner that would be great for the game on the path to achieving that goal! Thoughts?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think Baylor's got a great shot at upsetting Notre Dame. Baylor plays greats defense and if they hit their normal shots, it should be a competitive game. Just don't leave Lindsey Allen open in the 1st half like Stanford did. :)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Personally I like Baylor. I think the Baylor ND game should be a very good game. Baylor is quicker then Stanford and has a go to player which Stanford didnt have. Baylors quickness will result in better defense against ND. I wouldn't count out Baylor winning the game however ND should win.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I give Baylor virtually zero chance at beating Notre Dame considering an incredibly shabby 17 point win over a decent 3 seeded Iowa team.

Agreed!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The three teams that have truly taken care of business so far in this tournament are Baylor, ND, and Uconn (we'll see today if that continues.) ND looks good but they haven't been as dominant as I thought they would be.

Reaction Score
I like Baylor's chances as well. They have a pretty balanced attack. They can run with ND if they have to. They play solid defense. They have a decent inside/outside game. I got Baylor.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
If you are a true UConn fan (and I am), you would take ND seriously. As serious as a heart attack, which some fans might have if ND pulls off a victory. I have watched sports for many, many years, and all the elements are in place for ND to win against UConn.

Reaction Score
If you are a true UConn fan (and I am), you would take ND seriously. As serious as a heart attack, which some fans might have if ND pulls off a victory. I have watched sports for many, many years, and all the elements are in place for ND to win against UConn.

ALL of the elements or some? Big difference between the two. If all the elements are in place we have little chance of winning.

Reaction Score
UCONN vs ND for the NC, nothing new.
Agree......but I do think Baylor could win. South Carolina just isn't what everyone says......they lack shooters and team fight. To me they are a little too laid back. Welsh,Cuevas and at times Mitchell are really the only aggressive ones and it hurts them.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
ALL of the elements or some? Big difference between the two. If all the elements are in place we have little chance of winning.
You are right, I stand corrected. Some of the elements: The revenge factor, the expect to win factor, not take seriously factor, some other intangibles. Of course, it's just a feeling, but not a good one.

Hopefully, UConn can and will overcome these.

ETA: In WCBB, there is always the Referee factor....

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
After seeing SC barely escape vs. UNC, I can't see them toppling ND who I think is better coached and plays better team ball. congrats to ND and Baylor - should be a good game!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What elements are on ND favor ? Absent a major injury to UCONN I don't see any.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

I know one game's results are not a true prediction, but we had 70 pts with 16:31 left, and ND didn't score 70 until 6 mins left. Maybe apples and oranges, but as a potential opposing coach, it would make me think how to keep up with that pace.

Reaction Score
Stewie sat for most of the 2nd half. If UConn wanted, they could have hung 115 on Texas today.

Reaction Score
You are right, I stand corrected. Some of the elements: The revenge factor, the expect to win factor, not take seriously factor, some other intangibles. Of course, it's just a feeling, but not a good one.

Hopefully, UConn can and will overcome these.

ETA: In WCBB, there is always the Referee factor....
I can't believe that Geno would ever allow this team to have a mindset, particularly in the case of Notre Dame, to overlook anyone. The fact that UConn played ND without their outstanding freshman center alone is reason for the Huskies to not OVERLOOK the Irish, were they to meet in the title game. Another thing would be the success the Irish had more recently against the Huskies and those losses to Notre Dame are still relatively fresh. No possibility that this Huskie team, even with no input from the coaching staff, would ever take a victory over the Irish for granted. UConn still has a REVENGE factor against the Irish because of that recent history.

Reaction Score
You say that you are a true UConn fan and yet I remember a number of posts where you seem to be the devil's advocate and seem to be skeptical of the Huskies abilities or seem apt to advance the abilities of their opponents. I'm not quite sure why you seem to periodically send out those "negative vibes" but that's definitely my perception. That negative vibe thing is a quote from an old Clint Eastwood movie, Kelly's Heroes and is also reminiscent of the sky is falling thing. I don't think anyone ever takes Notre Dame FOR GRANTED and that especially includes this UConn team but just about any prognosticator would say that though Notre Dame is a dangerous team, that UConn is the class of women's basketball this year. It seems that maybe you don't agree.

Reaction Score
I think you have been dreaming for many many many years.

Reaction Score
Well, they're pretty damned good now. After watching so many teams of highly dubious merit play Sweet Sixteen games yesterday, it was a pleasure, even for a ND hater like me, to watch a team that looked like it truly belonged there.

Prophetically, in the immediate aftermath of the drubbing our favorite team handed the Irish (on their home court, no less) earlier in the season, Geno, when interviewed, talked about how both teams would "get better" come March. As usual, the coach was spot on!

One never knows for sure, but these two teams remain the class of WCBB, and I fully expect them to meet yet again in the NC game. And, assuming that both teams bring their A-game, which I also fully expect, the Huskies win again. But, on a purely relative basis, of the two, the Irish may have improved even more since earlier in the season. Just having Turner on the floor represents a huge presence they didn't have last time out. Interesting to me how much more she's contributing than A'ja is for SC. Allen is playing with much more confidence. But the biggest improvement for them comes in the form of Reimer who seems to now have her head on straight and is playing great.

Of course UConn is a better team now also. Compared to what they were earlier, MoJeff, Kia Nurse, and Gabby are all playing on a much higher level. I'd love to see Title #10 wind up in the trophy case in Storrs, but I think the potential exists for a real barn-burner that would be great for the game on the path to achieving that goal! Thoughts?

I wonder what they think after today's game!

Reaction Score
I give Baylor virtually zero chance at beating Notre Dame considering an incredibly shabby 17 point win over a decent 3 seeded Iowa team.
If my assumption that it would be Notre Dame, and not Baylor, who would have the honor of losing to the Huskies in the NC game hurt your feelings, I sincerely apologize. However, I stand by that assumption. If it makes you feel any better, I bear considerable personal animus toward Notre Dame, and none in particular toward Baylor, so I'd be delighted to be wrong, though I doubt that I am. Again, my apologies!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If my assumption that it would be Notre Dame, and not Baylor, who would have the honor of losing to the Huskies in the NC game hurt your feelings, I sincerely apologize. However, I stand by that assumption. If it makes you feel any better, I bear considerable personal animus toward Notre Dame, and none in particular toward Baylor, so I'd be delighted to be wrong, though I doubt that I am. Again, my apologies!

I'm well beyond my "feelings being hurt." We all are here to just share our opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom