Notre Dame vs Louisville - 3/04/18 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame vs Louisville - 3/04/18

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Meh. The media tries to make it more of a story than it is (re: Geno and Muffet not Muffet and Jeff - that's a current story). Why do Geno and Muffet need to "like" each other? As Geno said, there are hundreds of coaches out there with intense rivalries who don't like each other, but who still have mutual respect. I think the fact that Geno constantly says "ND is able to recruit really really good players and coach them really really well" (and variations of that) all the time indicates the respect he has for Muffet and her program.

As Geno also said "don't worry about the rest of it. Just focus on what's between the lines for 40 minutes".

Now Geno has a good relationship with Dawn (Olympic asst coach), Doug, Vic, and a bunch of other coaches out there who he's interacted with. Dawn won the NC last year. Vic beat Geno last year (their team did). Maybe it was inevitable that ND and UCONN would get frosty after playing each other SO often. But I don't get why that would make either Muffet OR Geno "less than" when it comes to their attitude, classiness, etc etc. They are both elite coaches who want to win NC's...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
As you can well guess, there was a whole lot of chatter on McGraw's Bench on this yesterday...it drew way more than the usual traffic.
Rather that quote a number of these, I'm just going to add a few responses.

- Per the "name thing." As Orangutan pointed out here, MM didn't tweet this; rather, SB Tribune writer (who found himself quoted on ESPN) Anthony Anderson did. I've heard a lot about this, but have one question floating around in my brain: Given that Anderson tweeted a 140-character blurb, did MM refer to Durr by name in a part that didn't make the tweet? Or was MM referring to his question in which he referenced Durr and she, in turn, just continued with it.
Would be interesting to find out (particularly if so).

If not, certainly don''t think it would've hurt MM to reference Asia's name...as someone pointed out, the Irish were probably trying to recruit Durr, too, and -- geesh -- Asia and Arike know each other pretty well!

- I've written down that if this really bothered Coach Walz, one would've remembered that phones are also used for talking. And that they'd probably seen each other more than a few times in the hotels/arena in Greensboro.

- He claimed that he was sticking up for his kids, but he managed to take that focus away from them. And, in doing so, there's that ambush thing. Geesh.

- As per the numbers. During the halftime interview, someone asked MM something to the effect what else her team could do and she said "Keep track of #11," which would make sense considering Carter had 3 three's at that point. She later on gave full credit -- by name -- to Louisville's point guard.

- Re: McCallie, UConn Cat said it all very well. Plus, something that I've never dug about Coach P is her raking her own kids over the coals in such a public manner, time after time.

- Lastly, I think MM and Walz are not what you'd call compatible fits. MM said in a recent article on Mabrey and Ogunbowale that she and Marina are alike in that they think people understand what they're thinking (but not really saying). Walz over talks. They'd probably both like to get this back.

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
Jewell leaving early cost Muffett big the next season. Sure they still dominated the lowly overrated ACC but it hurt any chance at UConn.

The next year was Stewie, Tuck's and MoJef senior season ... they (ND nor anyone else) were NOT going to beat them that year... I tend to feel Jewel Lloyd knew (or at least strong suspected it).
AND she could go #1 in draft if she left early, obviously not going to happen the following year...

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The next year was Stewie, Tuck's and MoJef senior season ... they (ND nor anyone else) was going to beat them that year... I tend to feel Jewel Lloyd knew (or at least strong suspected it).
AND she could go #1 in draft if she left early, obviously not going to happen the following year...

I tend to feel a dyslexic whose professional ambition was to be a pro basketball player didn't see the purpose of another year of college.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This is all good theatre for the game, but lest not forget this was a great basketball game that was easily the best of the lot yesterday with both teams proving a #1 seed is worthy.

I think MM should have used Asia's name vs. what she did regardless of how it came out. I understand her support for her team but she is held to a higher standard as a Hall of Famer so she definitely knows better. That said, meh, I am more bemused than miffed or upset.

Walz could and should have waited until the presser after the game to mention it and use the "media middle ground" as the same spoke-piece back at MM to make the snarky comment he did to stick up for his player and his program and it is in his nature to talk.

Could both have handled it better, of course, but again, both are "Alpha's" trying to rule the conference so their competitive natures prevailed. I just hope respect stays as the priority.

Reaction Score
One thing to note: Walz took exception to something MM did (or didn't do); there was never anything ad hominem about his comments. However, many critics of his approach have taken exception to something Walz did AND have made it ad hominem. The things he's been called on message boards (here, elsewhere)...geesh. Of course, this type of thing is fan fodder. But still: by all accounts he's a well liked and well respected coach among his peers. He's represented USA basketball, and as far, far back as this Saturday he stumped for Wes Moore's NC State team to host the first/second rounds. Sounds like a classless guy.

Reaction Score
Walz could and should have waited until the presser after the game to mention it and use the "media middle ground" as the same spoke-piece back at MM to make the snarky comment he did to stick up for his player and his program and it is in his nature to talk.

No. Because then you would all be saying "Why didn't he say it to her face? Why didn't he address the matter like a grown-up? Why was he so passive-aggressive?"

Come on. We are all human. We saw the intensity of the game and how much was riding on its outcome. Can you imagine the emotions the UofL coaching staff experienced after finally claiming this trophy? The pride in their players? Walz chose to say what he said (when he said it) because their win (second win, at that) and Asia's performance (most notably her clutch free-throws) cemented her ACC-POY nod. So give her the respect she deserves and remember her name. She was the player of the year because she steps up in huge games and makes plays. She was the player of the year because she works (and wins) within a system that consists of mostly role-players with amazing team chemistry. Louisville had a high-profile key starter transfer out last year (if some of you forgot), and many thought this year would be a low-year for them. Forget about the rankings. Walz has produced a lot with what he has this year, and no one can argue that.

I feel like his emotions got the best of him and he felt like she needed to hear what he wanted to say at all costs (lol), but to say that he was classless and aggressive is a reach (not you directly DefenseBB, others had stated this). He was very clear about what he said to Muffet during his presser. He was very clear about his intent too. No need to drag his name in the dirt for something so insignificant.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
One thing to note: Walz took exception to something MM did (or didn't do); there was never anything ad hominem about his comments. However, many critics of his approach have taken exception to something Walz did AND have made it ad hominem. The things he's been called on message boards (here, elsewhere)...geesh. Of course, this type of thing is fan fodder. But still: by all accounts he's a well liked and well respected coach among his peers. He's represented USA basketball, and as far, far back as this Saturday he stumped for Wes Moore's NC State team to host the first/second rounds. Sounds like a classless guy.
Is your last sentence correct- “classless”?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
That look on her face was *priceless*.
If I may offer:
“15-1 Share of Conference Title;
#1 Seed in NCAA Regional;
Jeff Walz being snarky in postgame handshake line...priceless!”

That’s how you set it up Plebe! :rolleyes:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Here's how supportive McGraw was about Jewell Loyd declaring early for the draft.

Self-serving viewpoint instead of being supportive of a player's decision. Not classy.

If I were Loyd, my response to that would be I'd rather be making whatever money I can make while I can, and a year early means an extra year to make it in my prime. It also means I don't risk getting injured before I get out of school. If you need the money for yourself or family, go and get it.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
A - it was an ambush by Jeff
B - it was probably his only chance to speak to MM
C - MM's comment was childish
D - Jeff's response was childish

Summation - it's all childish. Now lets go win a tourney!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom