Notre Dame @ Virginia Tech 1/16/19 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame @ Virginia Tech 1/16/19

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
And one more, via Anthony Anderson, one of the beat reporters covering the Irish.

Mabrey vs. Mabrey when Irish women meet Virginia Tech

A few points:

- Va. Tech needs an ACC win, having started 0-3 in league play. If they don't win this, they next go on to undefeated NC State (on the road), so they're going to come out firing.

- Closeness between the sisters is (beyond) apparent. McGraw knows this and is a bit concerned Marina's famed intensity (hated by opponents, loved by Irish supporters)

- And then there's this bit in the article about Dara's recruitment, which imakes me think of another recruit situation that seems a bit familiar, no?

"The sisters at one time appeared close to being reunited at Notre Dame.

“It was kind of confusing,” Dara said of her recruitment by the Irish. “I had an offer at one point, then I didn’t.”

"Dara says she doesn’t want to speculate on where she would’ve wound up if the ND offer had stood, emphasizing that “I’m very glad I chose Virginia Tech.”

“Yeah, I would’ve liked to have played with her,” Marina said of Dara, “but at the end of the day, it’s her decision. I know she’s happy there, so I’m happy when she’s happy.”

Recruiting is often not a linear progression, no matter in Connecticut or Indiana....Just hope the people behind the players can be happy in their situations.

- As for the game, I'm taking a ND variation on Dad Mabrey's approach:
Hope both do well (but root for the Irish).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was kind of confusing,” Dara said of her recruitment by the Irish. “I had an offer at one point, then I didn’t.”

"Dara says she doesn’t want to speculate on where she would’ve wound up if the ND offer had stood, emphasizing that “I’m very glad I chose Virginia Tech.”

“Yeah, I would’ve liked to have played with her,” Marina said of Dara, “but at the end of the day, it’s her decision. I know she’s happy there, so I’m happy when she’s happy.”

I’ll say it’s confusing. Dara says ND took back their offer, and Marina talks like it was Dara’s choice that they’re not playing together. What’s the truth?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Virginia Tech is in a rough patch. They lost a heartbreaker in OT to Syracuse on a very questionable foul no-call. They coughed up a huge lead at Virginia. Now they play Notre Dame and NC State., which could make it a 5-game losing streak after starting the season 13-0.

Reaction Score
I would expect a fairly easy win for ND but hopefully Dara puts on a good display............I think VTech is still a year away from being really competitive in the ACC..............

Reaction Score
ND coming out flat. I was afraid of this and it’s happening. Hopefully this Timeout gets them going

Plebe

Reaction Score
Great start to this game by the Hokies, taking a quick 11-2 lead. Muffet burns a timeout.

Taylor Emery already has 7 points. I can't help but lament that Tulane lost her after her freshman year.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ha, the commentators already pointing out what a trash-talker Marina is.

If she played basketball as well as she talked trash, she could be NPOY.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Notre Dame has home court advantage wherever they go. On defense they get away with whatever contact they want to make. But don't dare even breathe on Arike because they'll blow the whistle.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Emery is having a heck of a game.

ND went to 4 guards for a while there. Seemed to help with matching up against VT's quick players and quick ball movement.

Couple of nice steals from Prohaska.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I like watching the VPI home games... the Color Commentator is a former Division I Men's coach... he's good.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wonder what would happen if #24 for ND gave a cheap shot to Little Mabrey..... would Big Mabrey say something to her teammate?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
VT started out with 11-2 run.

Then ND 40-14 extended stretch to build 42-25 lead.

And VT with a 9-2 run to close the half.

Reaction Score
I wonder what would happen if #24 for ND gave a cheap shot to Little Mabrey..... would Big Mabrey say something to her teammate?
Yeah She said in one of the articles that if Someone went after Dara. She’d protect Her Sister.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom