Notre Dame to reopen for fall term | The Boneyard

Notre Dame to reopen for fall term

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
President of Notre Dame announced school will reopen in the fall. Says they will figure it out by then. Also said some students will contract Covid 19, but they are young and will probably get over it. Guess he is hoping Touchdown Jesus will straighten it all out! ;)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think you could safely include nearly (here's looking at you Vandy) every member of the SEC on that list.

stefon accurate.gif

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
President of Notre Dame announced school will reopen in the fall. Says they will figure it out by then. Also said some students will contract Covid 19, but they are young and will probably get over it. Guess he is hoping Touchdown Jesus will straighten it all out! ;)

I am curious where you got the information that the President of Notre Dame said what you referenced him as saying in your initial post. In fact, based on the information reported and that I have seen, he said nothing of the sort. If you have a link that I might have missed, it would be great if you could post it.

Excerpts from articles on the topic:

University of Notre Dame officials announced Monday the school’s campus will reopen to students on Aug. 10, with social distancing, a mask requirement, testing and contact tracing to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Notre Dame’s president, the Rev. John Jenkins, said the university will open to students two weeks earlier than originally scheduled. He says there won’t be a fall break and the semester will end before Thanksgiving.

Chicago Tribune

The private Catholic university — which has a total enrollment of over 12,500 — will shift its schedule so students finish classes by Thanksgiving, meaning they won’t travel home for the holiday and return to campus. Instead, classes will begin two weeks earlier on Aug. 10 and forego the school’s usual fall break in October.

When asked by Guthrie for the thinking behind their plan, Jenkins said medical experts have warned the school that it could be dangerous to bring students back together after they’ve scattered across the world for the Thanksgiving holiday. “They’e going to bring back pathogens,” he said.

“If you can get them here, test them, you know, have a healthy community and then don’t send them away until the semester’s over, you’re much more likely to control the spread of any infections and to have a healthy campus,” he continued.

When asked if students on Notre Dame’s South Bend, Ind., campus would be banned from visiting home or going on weekend road trips, Jenkins said that the school hasn’t “gone that far.”

“What we’re going to do is talk to the students. I find young people, if it’s important and they believe in it, they step up and they challenge one and other to step up. And I believe that’s what’s going to happen,” Jenkins said. “They want to be back on campus… to achieve that goal, I think they’re going to work with us.”

TIME

Reaction Score
I say good for them. This is the right call. It does not mean that the vulnerable (seniors and immuno-compromised) should expose themselves. The numbers are in. If you are relatively young and healthy, you have little to fear.

Reaction Score
I say good for them. This is the right call. It does not mean that the vulnerable (seniors and immuno-compromised) should expose themselves. The numbers are in. If you are relatively young and healthy, you have little to fear.
Again, there is a faculty and a staff at a University, and asymptomatic students are a clear and present danger to that population. The science also states that time is a more important factor than distance; even five people in a classroom for 50 minutes will spread the virus to everyone present. The only alternative is rigorous testing, quarantine and contact tracing. A lot of research-oriented Profs are going to assign their teaching duties to grad assistants.

Reaction Score
Again, there is a faculty and a staff at a University, and asymptomatic students are a clear and present danger to that population. The science also states that time is a more important factor than distance; even five people in a classroom for 50 minutes will spread the virus to everyone present. The only alternative is rigorous testing, quarantine and contact tracing. A lot of research-oriented Profs are going to assign their teaching duties to grad assistants.
Sounds like the right approach. Most full professors delegate teaching. Once or twice a week they stand at the front of a large room , usually at least ten feet from any students. Ventilate !! If they don't want to take a chance, they should change jobs.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I am curious where you got the information that the President of Notre Dame said what you referenced him as saying in your initial post. In fact, based on the information reported and that I have seen, he said nothing of the sort. If you have a link that I might have missed, it would be great if you could post it.

Excerpts from articles on the topic:

University of Notre Dame officials announced Monday the school’s campus will reopen to students on Aug. 10, with social distancing, a mask requirement, testing and contact tracing to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Notre Dame’s president, the Rev. John Jenkins, said the university will open to students two weeks earlier than originally scheduled. He says there won’t be a fall break and the semester will end before Thanksgiving.

Chicago Tribune

The private Catholic university — which has a total enrollment of over 12,500 — will shift its schedule so students finish classes by Thanksgiving, meaning they won’t travel home for the holiday and return to campus. Instead, classes will begin two weeks earlier on Aug. 10 and forego the school’s usual fall break in October.

When asked by Guthrie for the thinking behind their plan, Jenkins said medical experts have warned the school that it could be dangerous to bring students back together after they’ve scattered across the world for the Thanksgiving holiday. “They’e going to bring back pathogens,” he said.

“If you can get them here, test them, you know, have a healthy community and then don’t send them away until the semester’s over, you’re much more likely to control the spread of any infections and to have a healthy campus,” he continued.

When asked if students on Notre Dame’s South Bend, Ind., campus would be banned from visiting home or going on weekend road trips, Jenkins said that the school hasn’t “gone that far.”

“What we’re going to do is talk to the students. I find young people, if it’s important and they believe in it, they step up and they challenge one and other to step up. And I believe that’s what’s going to happen,” Jenkins said. “They want to be back on campus… to achieve that goal, I think they’re going to work with us.”

TIME
I quoted no article, so I cannot send you a link. I watched President Jenkins do a live interview on MSNBC this morning between 9:00 and 10:00 CDT. He said almost exactly what I stated. He said they have much work to do and that they do not have everything detailed, but they are confident that they can deal with the challenges. In fact, he said this disease is not particularly dangerous for people in this age group. I did not try to sensationalize , nor did I put words in his mouth. I admit the Touchdown Jesus reference was of my own imagination. But I hope you google the interview before further casting aspersions my way. I am an Irish Catholic by birth, and have traditionally supported the mission of the University of Notre Dame du Lac. Interestingly, during the interview some clips actually showed the sign from Notre Dame de Namour. Guess everyone was a bit nonplussed.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sounds like the right approach. Most full professors delegate teaching. Once or twice a week they stand at the front of a large room , usually at least ten feet from any students. Ventilate !! If they don't want to take a chance, they should change jobs.
Change jobs?! What kind of a suggestion is that. These are teachers, not members of the military. You do realize that the faculty is the most valuable asset a University has, right?!

Reaction Score
Finally, a silver lining. ;)
Yeah, I would much rather learn my discipline from a 23-year old with no experience instead of a nationally renowned expert who has taught thousands over a 30-year career. (Heavy sarcasm)

Reaction Score
Change jobs?! What kind of a suggestion is that. These are teachers, not members of the military. You do realize that the faculty is the most valuable asset a University has, right?!
Once.....not any more.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
This is the right call...The numbers are in. If you are relatively young and healthy, you have little to fear.

There are those who choose to embrace numbers extolled by their favorite demagogue, of whatever affiliation. Some folks like the numbers from their favorite astrologer. Still others look in the bottom of their Cracker Jack™ box for numbers in tune wih their pre-disposed nutty sweet spot (all puns intended).

Here are some numbers from Johns Hopkins University and the University of Pennsylvania (where an individual of your acquaintance received an undergraduate degree at the Wharton School):

World sees highest 1-day increase since coronavirus outbreak began
The globe saw an increase of 106,000 COVID-19 cases in the last day.

A pandemic of the novel coronavirus has now killed more than 328,000 people worldwide.

Since the first cases were detected in China in December, the United States has become the worst-affected country, with more than 1.5 million diagnosed cases and at least 93,431 deaths.
source: World sees highest 1-day increase since coronavirus outbreak began

"A forecast from the University of Pennsylvania’s Penn Wharton Budget Model estimated that the number of cumulative deaths from the virus in the United States would rise to 157,000 from the current about 92,000 by the end of July if states maintained restrictions. A partial or full reopening could bring an additional 15,000 or 73,000 deaths, respecctively"

About three weeks ago, the CDC released a very carefully done study of hundreds of Covid-19 patients hospitalized in Georgia. Mortality rates were the same for all races. The most troubling aspect of the report was that both for hospitalizations and for deaths, 25% of patients had no pre-existing conditions, and this ratio held across all age groups, including the young and healthy.

From the summary---

Summary
What is already known about this topic?

Older adults and persons with underlying medical conditions are at higher risk for severe COVID-19. Non-Hispanic black patients are overrepresented among hospitalized U.S. COVID-19 patients.

What is added by this report?

In a cohort of 305 hospitalized adults with COVID-19 in Georgia (primarily metropolitan Atlanta), black patients were overrepresented, and their clinical outcomes were similar to those of nonblack patients. One in four hospitalized patients had no recognized risk factors for severe COVID-19.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Prevention activities should prioritize communities and racial groups most affected by severe COVID-19. Increased awareness of the risk for serious illness among all adults, regardless of underlying medical conditions or age, is needed.

Reaction Score
[
Prevention activities should prioritize communities and racial groups most affected by severe COVID-19. Increased awareness of the risk for serious illness among all adults, regardless of underlying medical conditions or age, is needed.

Did preexisting conditions include being fat. Ever been to Georgia ? As in my North Carolina, southern food has done its worst.

Reaction Score
The Pennsylvania Department of Health just shared their states statistics regarding Covid deaths. The average age of those who died is 80, 68% of the 4,485 deaths, or 3,086 people who died, were in nursing homes or assisted living facilities. Twelve (12) of the 4,485 deaths were people under the age of 40.

Reaction Score
The Pennsylvania Department of Health just shared their states statistics regarding Covid deaths. The average age of those who died is 80, 68% of the 4,485 deaths, or 3,086 people who died, were in nursing homes or assisted living facilities. Twelve (12) of the 4,485 deaths were people under the age of 40.
That's consistent with the nationwide numbers.

Reaction Score
[

Did preexisting conditions include being fat. Ever been to Georgia ? As in my North Carolina, southern food has done its worst.
In the mid-south, this is sufficient cause for a day of mourning:
FOOD
Published 47 mins ago
Truck carrying 43,000 pounds of mac and cheese overturns on Nashville highway

Reaction Score

People, of course, change jobs all the time and safety is certainly one of the drivers for such changes. As data becomes available it is overwhelmingly showing that the application of some relatively easy to implement protections and common sense protects the vast majority of people. For those who feel vulnerable, be intelligent and responsible for yourself and do what you need to do to protect yourself.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
That's consistent with the nationwide numbers.

Please cite your source.
image.jpeg

source:

As to obesity, you didn't specify whether morbid or not. You also neglected to state whether you believe the combination of some—undefined—level of obesity and Covid-19 should or should not be included in mortality data.

In short, you said, "Look! It's a squirrel!"

Here, since you didn't bother to look at the facts, is something to feed your squirrel. Obesity is in 19th place among comorbidities. Oh, FYI, there are lots of fat people in every state.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So Geno is no longer the most valuable asset? Your cynicism is breathtaking.

If it's a choice between lockdown and life going on, life going on is the best thing for the students. It's a bad time and you have to prioritize. In athletics, head coaches might assign young gmaetime floor coaches if they want to reduce their personal risk.

Reaction Score
663 of 809 Covid deaths in Minnesota in long term assisted living facilities; NY, NJ, Pa., Minn. at least all seem to have missed the boat on protecting the most vulnerable to any viral outbreak by directing infected patients into these facilities. Hard to understand that line of reasoning.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom