Notre Dame to Leave Hockey East for Big 10 starting 2017-2018 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame to Leave Hockey East for Big 10 starting 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A few posters over on USCHO just brought this up... " What if HE stays at 11 and goes back to the top 8 teams making the post season tournament"...I'd be for that. Makes the post season actually mean something.

Reaction Score
Minnesota fans are down right giddy about adding ND...one of them actually seems to think they will join in all sports. But this one also can't trash UConn enough academically. @brasssbonanzaa I think you know who I'm referring to.
Yeah, UConn's academics aren't good, but not in terms of undergrad, not in terms of grad, and not in terms of the three major graduate programs. Just in obscure research areas.

Reaction Score
A few posters over on USCHO just brought this up... " What if HE stays at 11 and goes back to the top 8 teams making the post season tournament"...I'd be for that. Makes the post season actually mean something.
11 makes scheduling incredibly annoying. Either you go to an unbalanced schedule, or to a 20-game conference slate, which leaves too many OOC slots. It's already tough enough for geographic outliers such as Maine and UVM to schedule OOC games to fill their slate with the 22-game schedule currently in place. They're currently scheduling each other OOC each year. Tough to get enough teams to agree to make the trek up to Orono and Burlington each year.

Reaction Score
Yeah, UConn's academics aren't good, but not in terms of undergrad, not in terms of grad, and not in terms of the three major graduate programs. Just in obscure research areas.
That guy is a complete tool who is now flip flopping and looking more and more like an idiot.

Reaction Score
11 makes scheduling incredibly annoying. Either you go to an unbalanced schedule, or to a 20-game conference slate, which leaves too many OOC slots. It's already tough enough for geographic outliers such as Maine and UVM to schedule OOC games to fill their slate with the 22-game schedule currently in place. They're currently scheduling each other OOC each year. Tough to get enough teams to agree to make the trek up to Orono and Burlington each year.
I'd like to see them add the right 12th team. I'm going to be a realist here right now...UConn's program although having great upside...right now is a bit of a drag on the conference reputation. That will change down the road (I have faith that Cav will build a good solid program here)....but right now it is what it is. Adding a team like QU would add greatly to the conference. Adding another team like UConn in Holy Cross..IMHO not so much.

Reaction Score
Can't really say this is a surprise on either end. The Irish were just not a great fit in Hockey East which has been built on regional animosity and rivalries. Even UConn was added to cover the New England states. And I have had a sense that the Big 10 has not quite been the success they had hoped for so they need to do something. If you look at the NCAA tourney they have the same number of bids as the Atlantic for example. Not what some of those schools are used to.

As for an addition I don't honestly know. QU is the team of the moment but I don't see it myself. When you leave out the Ivies who aren't going anywhere I'm not sure who makes sense since lots of this is cyclical. When UConn joined there was lots of talk that it should have been someone else (RPI?). This year it is Q. My sense is that HEA will be looking for a name brand with an upside but I don't know for sure.

Reaction Score
Q is a becoming more and more of a name brand. They have solid facilities, though a tad small, a great coach, good location. RPI has been a mediocre at best program for a long time, in a crappy location, with old facilities, a so-so coach, and not much track record of late.

Reaction Score
Q is a becoming more and more of a name brand. They have solid facilities, though a tad small, a great coach, good location. RPI has been a mediocre at best program for a long time, in a crappy location, with old facilities, a so-so coach, and not much track record of late.
One thing about having QU in HE is that it truly places the heat on UConn to get a top shelf on-campus facility done ASAP.

Reaction Score
Here is a hypothetical idea...I know it's too big and would never work...but it is an idea. Make HE a eastern hockey super conference: Add QU and the Ivy league teams to HE..that would be 18 teams. Let the rest of the ECAC merge with the AHA and have another solid eastern league. Crazy...yes...would it work...no...but it would produce some really some good regional hockey.

Reaction Score
Statement from Hockey East Commissioner Joe Bertagna -
http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres1516/201603/mar23hea.php

"Hockey East has been a dominant player in college hockey since its inception in 1984. The addition of both Notre Dame and the University of Connecticut enhanced the strength and depth of the league. This weekend, Notre Dame is part of Hockey East's six-team contingent that is looking to defend the national championship won by Providence College last April in Boston. The college hockey landscape continues to change but one certainty is that Hockey East will remain the premier conference in college hockey for years to come."

Notre Dame Hockey Program to Join Big Ten Conference as Sport Affiliate Member
http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/032316aaa.html

Reaction Score
Here is a hypothetical idea...I know it's too big and would never work...but it is an idea. Make HE a eastern hockey super conference: Add QU and the Ivy league teams to HE..that would be 18 teams. Let the rest of the ECAC merge with the AHA and have another solid eastern league. Crazy...yes...would it work...no...but it would produce some really some good regional hockey.
No to the Ivies - they're too insular and do things their own way. Not to mention them not starting play until late October would make things annoying. Adding QU would sow up eastern powers for the league.

Yes, QU showing up would add pressure to UConn to work out their facilities situation, though I would hope that wouldn't give UConn an out to build some budget-minded small facility in Storrs since QU's is already below HE's capacity standard.

Reaction Score
No to the Ivies - they're too insular and do things their own way. Not to mention them not starting play until late October would make things annoying. Adding QU would sow up eastern powers for the league.

Yes, QU showing up would add pressure to UConn to work out their facilities situation, though I would hope that wouldn't give UConn an out to build some budget-minded small facility in Storrs since QU's is already below HE's capacity standard.
I never thought about the quirkiness of the Ivies....
As for a UConn on-campus facility...I think you are going to see 4500 capacity with top-shelf team facilities in Storrs.

Reaction Score
My preference for ND's replacement would be Army. They would need to renovate the rink but aside from that, they bring a rich history, are a decent fit geographically (expanding into NY), and would attract new fans both on the road and at home. This would also allow the Atlantic to operate as a 10 team league.

Reaction Score
My preference for ND's replacement would be Army. They would need to renovate the rink but aside from that, they bring a rich history, are a decent fit geographically (expanding into NY), and would attract new fans both on the road and at home. This would also allow the Atlantic to operate as a 10 team league.
The team isn't good, and service academies generally don't invest money in their programs. Unfortunately, they would not fare well in Hockey East.

Reaction Score

BC, BU et al formed Hockey East when they didn't want to be in a giant (17-team) league with the Ivies (who, at the time, were widely thought to be considering their own league). Even though the Ivies have since shown a willingness to be in a larger league that is willing to accommodate some of their scheduling, length of season and admissions requirements, I don't see that being reversed. First, HE would be less willing to accommodate the Ivies than academically selective, small privates like RPI, SLU, Colgate, Union, et al and the Ivies would be more concerned about large publics + BC/BU being dominant with scholarships, more flexibility in recruiting and larger budgets.

I also don't think the rest of the ECAC, most of whom have long histories in college hockey, have any interest in being in a league with AIC, SHU, Niagara, RMU, etc. with their small rinks, lower academic standards and minimal history in the sport.

Reaction Score
There is room to expand it to 4000 or 4500 I have been told
Room, in physical terms perhaps, but how's Quinnipiac getting along with the town of Hamden lately? News reports suggested not so well a few years ago, to the extent the town shut down or shut off more than a few Quinnipiac growth initiatives, rejected building applications, etc.

Reaction Score
Room, in physical terms perhaps, but how's Quinnipiac getting along with the town of Hamden lately? News reports suggested not so well a few years ago, to the extent the town shut down or shut off more than a few Quinnipiac growth initiatives, rejected building applications, etc.
Not too sure about that....and yeah it was described to me as "room to make seating 4000". They seat 3386 now so they only need to add 624 seats to make it to 4000.

Reaction Score

If I recall correctly, one of the items that Quinnipiac wanted that was rejected was the addition of lights to their soccer facility (not sure if it was to be a new one), so their hope of being able to play night soccer games at home is gone.

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, one of the items that Quinnipiac wanted that was rejected was the addition of lights to their soccer facility (not sure if it was to be a new one), so their hope of being able to play night soccer games at home is gone.

Women Lax/Field Hockey...http://www.nhregister.com/article/NH/20160104/NEWS/160109838

I think changes to existing TDB Arena would be viewed differently based on location.

Reaction Score
Women Lax/Field Hockey... I think changes to existing TDB Arena would be viewed differently based on location.
Without direct knowledge, the following linked article suggests Quinnipiac's challenges are linked more with construction of many academic buildings versus dorms, not fields/lights, and some reluctance to address off-campus student conduct in overpopulated residences neighboring their Hamden campuses. http://www.nhregister.com/article/NH/20151010/NEWS/151019961#disqus_thread

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
@TerryD you swore ND wasn't leaving HE for the B1G...guess Flug's was right and you were wrong on this one.

Yep, I am often wrong but never shy with my opinions. :)

I was totally wrong here.

Reaction Score
Quite familiar - been watching this dance my whole lifetime -- live mile away.;)
OK, what are your thoughts on how potential Quinnipiac rink expansion would be different than seemingly all college building expansions Hamden's reasonably or otherwise shot down due to neighborhood concerns, Quinnipiac student-non student drug trade, DUIs, and other arrests, overpopulated rental homes, and whatever else stirs the local hornet nests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom