Notre Dame to Leave Hockey East for Big 10 starting 2017-2018 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame to Leave Hockey East for Big 10 starting 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
jimmyconnelly5:27pm via Twitter Web Client
Multiple sources confirm @NotreDamemen's hockey will depart @hockey_east for @bigten. More to come. Won't take effect til 17-18 season.

MikeMcMahonCHN 5:30pm via Twitter for iPhone
Hockey East was informed today that Notre Dame will be leaving the league for the Big 10 at the conclusion of next season. More to follow...

http://www.startribune.com/notre-dame-to-join-big-ten-in-hockey/373137251/
>>Notre Dame will join the Big Ten hockey conference in 2017-18. The Big Ten conference told the Star Tribune on Tuesday that it will expand to seven teams with Notre Dame joining as an affiliate member.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good riddance..don't let the door hit you in the a s s on the way out! Jackson has been crying about being in HE since the day they left! I'm sure there are a bunch of schools in HE that are happy (their budgets are happy as well) they won't have to make that trek to South Bend any more.

Reaction Score
RIT also has a new rink. But my guess is RIT would get an invite to the ECAC. Hope QU finds a place for more seats if they are going to the HE. Winning the championship would probably guarantee QU a spot in the HE.

Reaction Score
First question - who other than Quinnipiac would be asked to fill the slot?
Second question - is ASU the team that joins ND to the B1G hockey? Wasn't that the Flugar rumor? Of course he also had a rumor of UConn being asked to join for hockey

Reaction Score
Some think Holy Cross might have a shot, but it's unlikely. QU is the most logical fit, the only downside is their arena is a tad too small.

Reaction Score
Some think Holy Cross might have a shot, but it's unlikely. QU is the most logical fit, the only downside is their arena is a tad too small.
There is room to expand it to 4000 or 4500 I have been told

Reaction Score
jimmyconnelly5:27pm via Twitter Web Client
Multiple sources confirm @NotreDamemen's hockey will depart @hockey_east for @bigten. More to come. Won't take effect til 17-18 season.

MikeMcMahonCHN 5:30pm via Twitter for iPhone
Hockey East was informed today that Notre Dame will be leaving the league for the Big 10 at the conclusion of next season. More to follow...

http://www.startribune.com/notre-dame-to-join-big-ten-in-hockey/373137251/
>>Notre Dame will join the Big Ten hockey conference in 2017-18. The Big Ten conference told the Star Tribune on Tuesday that it will expand to seven teams with Notre Dame joining as an affiliate member.<<
@TerryD you swore ND wasn't leaving HE for the B1G...guess Flug's was right and you were wrong on this one.

Reaction Score
QU joining HE would be sweet. Is there any exit fee for leaving hockey east?
Could UConn get some $ ?

i really hope UConn is not the 8th for hockey only

Reaction Score
If QU is worried about leaving the rivalry with Yale, everyone involved just needs to agree to a deal to play a yearly nutmeg hockey tournament @ XL

Reaction Score
Beyond Quinnipiac College's success heavily weighted on an average roster age exceeding that of some NHL teams :rolleyes:, what's their real attraction to Hockey East? No additional TV/internet market. Just some short-term success with mature men playing against younger men and boys in ECAC? I jest, yet not entirely.

Reaction Score
Beyond Quinnipiac College's success heavily weighted on an average roster age exceeding that of some NHL teams :rolleyes:, what's their real attraction to Hockey East? No additional TV/internet market. Just some short-term success with mature men playing against younger men and boys in ECAC? I jest, yet not entirely.
Dude, college hockey is not college football. You think Holy Cross is going to provide eyeballs?

Reaction Score
TV markets are irrelevant in hockey. QU's good, that's what matters.

FDNY - when I was there in December, it sure didn't look like they could expand without knocking down exterior walls. Maybe a few bleachers put up in a few spots, but it would require some serious finagling, and didn't seem like it'd yield a whole lot of new seats.

Reaction Score
I don't think QU is going anywhere. They love being in a league with Yale, not to mention the other Ivies, as it reflects well on their tremendous growth and improvement over the last two decades. Furthermore, the ECAC provides good competition but QU retains significant advantages in recruiting/admission standards and facilities. Those advantages would go away if they were in HE.

As for the TD Bank Center, I don't think it could be significantly expanded without major rebuilding. They might be able to put 6 or 7 rows of seats in the aisle at the far end (turning the oval walkway above the seating bowl into a horseshoe). If the fire marshalls approve that might get them to 3,800 or so, but no more.

Reaction Score
TV markets are irrelevant in hockey. QU's good, that's what matters.

FDNY - when I was there in December, it sure didn't look like they could expand without knocking down exterior walls. Maybe a few bleachers put up in a few spots, but it would require some serious finagling, and didn't seem like it'd yield a whole lot of new seats.
I was just going off of what someone who goes to games and has a tie to QU told me.

Reaction Score
Minnesota fans are down right giddy about adding ND...one of them actually seems to think they will join in all sports. But this one also can't trash UConn enough academically. @brasssbonanzaa I think you know who I'm referring to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Besides ASU another school being talked about for the B1G on USCHO is Miami (OH).

Reaction Score
So, will the B1G further expand to the to an even number and if so, who?
  • Arizona St as a hockey affiliate has been rumored since last year, though it makes little sense from a geography standpoint.
  • Are there other Pac-12 schools that could make the jump also, U Colorado would make sense if they have interest and money or a school like Stanford who has the money and the Athletic Department to practically do what every they want?
  • Could Nebraska-Omaha join as Nebraska-Lincoln is already a B1G member?
  • I think Minnesota and several other B1G programs want the 'other' ND, as in North Dakota, in as an affiliate and as a state flagship they make sense, though they are too small to be a full-fledged B1G member. Oh, and is North Dakota ever going to get a new nickname?
  • With one U Minnesota hockey team already in, I have a feeling that Minnesota-Duluth may not be feasible.
  • Someone mentioned Miami (OH); but, Ohio St. has show a reluctance to 'share' their state
  • Are there other B1G members that could upgrade their programs? Northwestern has the money and location; but, not the facilities and appears to lack the will while the 3 most likely state U's in hockey areas, Illinois, Maryland, and Rutgers, do not have the facilities and are dealing with money issues.
  • What about raiding Hockey East? UConn, of course, would be interested; but, most likely as as a full-fledged B1G member only while BU, whose AAU status and marquee hockey program in a hockey mad state, i.e. the Johns Hopkins of hockey, woudl be attractive to the B1G, their local ties to Hockey East likely make it a stretch

Reaction Score
One of the things that I like about Hockey East is the regional rivalries that you get. You compete with the same schools fro recruits that you skate against on the ice. The tv deal with NESN is decent BUT since the Bruins get top billing it's had to really do the conference justice like the BTN does for the B1G. This is where a B12N could bridge the gap. If the B12 expands, adds UConn and starts a network....it would not be a bad idea for them pitch a deal with HE to go all in for their games. It gives them more content...and more subscribers.

Reaction Score
So, will the B1G further expand to the to an even number and if so, who?
  • Arizona St as a hockey affiliate has been rumored since last year, though it makes little sense from a geography standpoint.
  • Are there other Pac-12 schools that could make the jump also, U Colorado would make sense if they have interest and money or a school like Stanford who has the money and the Athletic Department to practically do what every they want?
  • Could Nebraska-Omaha join as Nebraska-Lincoln is already a B1G member?
  • I think Minnesota and several other B1G programs want the 'other' ND, as in North Dakota, in as an affiliate and as a state flagship they make sense, though they are too small to be a full-fledged B1G member. Oh, and is North Dakota ever going to get a new nickname?
  • With one U Minnesota hockey team already in, I have a feeling that Minnesota-Duluth may not be feasible.
  • Someone mentioned Miami (OH); but, Ohio St. has show a reluctance to 'share' their state
  • Are there other B1G members that could upgrade their programs? Northwestern has the money and location; but, not the facilities and appears to lack the will while the 3 most likely state U's in hockey areas, Illinois, Maryland, and Rutgers, do not have the facilities and are dealing with money issues.
  • What about raiding Hockey East? UConn, of course, would be interested; but, most likely as as a full-fledged B1G member only while BU, whose AAU status and marquee hockey program in a hockey mad state, i.e. the Johns Hopkins of hockey, woudl be attractive to the B1G, their local ties to Hockey East likely make it a stretch
Only plausible scenarios here are ASU and ND. Every other one, short of the programs starting up, isn't happening. Omaha is a non-starter, Miami is too small a program, the Pac 12 schools are too far from being able to create a program, and no one else in Hockey East is leaving. 0% chance BU goes to the B1G unless it's in tandem with BC. Even then it's unlikely unless BC's getting an all-sports invite. BU and BC were invited to the NCHC when it formed, they laughed the NCHC off the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom