Notre Dame still wants to be our friend (guess what for?) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame still wants to be our friend (guess what for?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like the way you think! I'm surprised I didn't think of it first. ;)

The last thing we need to do is believe that we need to cater to ND with the hope that they will have our back with an invitation to another conference. They won't and they won't be vindictive unless we really piss them off (and even then, if we can reach the point where we shake hands and make up it won't matter as if it helps them, they'll be in agreement).

One major benefit of this is we can now negotiate with ND with some leverage. In the past, we were able to secure football opponents by offering basketball games as an incentive (Indiana, UNC, Ga Tech, Tennessee, Michigan) but ND always had us on the schedule in sports we excelled in without having to throw us a football series. If they want us now they need to throw something in to sweeten the pot.

Notre Dame will not be putting a Big EAst program on their schedule as a home and home, until Navy joins in 2015.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It'd feel nice to tell them to piss off, but it wouldn't help anybody.

Yes, because burning bridges has worked out so well in the past.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Make the tie in with football or not at all. ND screwed the BE and the NBE, now it's thumbing it's nose at all the NBE schools. We should play them but only if we can use it as a carrot to help us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ND would laugh so hard at that.

Probably, but only after they hung up the phone. The point is any on going relationship with them need to be quid pro quo. It would be foolish to give them whatever they ask for in the hope that they may throw us a bone down the road. Don't the bridges, but don't give the milk away for free, either.

Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller @ NH Register:
Statement from Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw

Here is a statement from Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw regarding the Fighting Irish's move to the ACC.

"This is an exciting day for Notre Dame women's basketball. The ACC is one of the nation's strongest women's basketball conferences and we're thrilled to be able to add our program to that mix. There are so many talented players, coaches and programs in the ACC and we will be challenged each and every night. I also think our fans, who are the best in college basketball, will be excited to see so many new faces coming in to Purcell Pavilion in the next few years. My hat is off to Jack Swarbrick and Father Jenkins for the hard work they put in to make this move a reality.

"At the same time, we are certainly sad to be leaving behind the many friends and colleagues, as well as the numerous rivalries we have developed in the Big East. Our program has grown exponentially in the past 17 years and the Big East is a major reason for that development."

In terms of the end of the UConn/Notre Dame rivalry which has grown into arguably the best in the world of women's college basketball in the last few years McGraw said "while it is too early to speculate on what our schedule will look like in future seasons, we would eagerly entertain the opportunity to continue our longstanding rivalry with Connecticut on a non-conference basis."

Reaction Score
Our athletic future has slowly crumbled before our very eyes this decade but thanks for letting me know Muffet McGraw wants to continue playing us in wimins basketball. Now I can rest easy.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yes, because burning bridges has worked out so well in the past.

You didn't realize I was saying that?

Reaction Score

Here is a statement from Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw regarding the Fighting Irish's move to the ACC.

"This is an exciting day for Notre Dame women's basketball. The ACC is one of the nation's strongest women's basketball conferences and we're thrilled to be able to add our program to that mix. There are so many talented players, coaches and programs in the ACC and we will be challenged each and every night. I also think our fans, who are the best in college basketball, will be excited to see so many new faces coming in to Purcell Pavilion in the next few years. My hat is off to Jack Swarbrick and Father Jenkins for the hard work they put in to make this move a reality.

"At the same time, we are certainly sad to be leaving behind the many friends and colleagues, as well as the numerous rivalries we have developed in the Big East. Our program has grown exponentially in the past 17 years and the Big East is a major reason for that development."

In terms of the end of the UConn/Notre Dame rivalry which has grown into arguably the best in the world of women's college basketball in the last few years McGraw said "while it is too early to speculate on what our schedule will look like in future seasons, we would eagerly entertain the opportunity to continue our longstanding rivalry with Connecticut on a non-conference basis."
You know what.
After reading that, F her and F Notre Dame.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score

Wouldn't expect her to say anything else. It's this last line that gets me so I reiterate, unless we get something in return I'd cut them off our schedule.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Muffet did not mean that condescendingly, but it sure comes off like that. It also makes her sound as if she lives in a bubble where women's hoop is the only sport that matters. Thankfully Geno has a wider view.

Reaction Score
Our athletic future has slowly crumbled before our very eyes this decade but thanks for letting me know Muffet McGraw wants to continue playing us in wimins basketball. Now I can rest easy.

Ummm - that is what the thread was about - no?

Reaction Score
Anyone who gives a damn about playing ND in womens basketball right now has misplaced priorities.

Thanks for setting my priorities straight. I guess I'm misguided.

We're doomed - doomed I say.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to have strong ties with all ACC schools. Making enemies is not strategic. F- principles. Those with little scruples are the ones that come out best in the expansion game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom