Notre Dame Joining ACC | The Boneyard

Notre Dame Joining ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd guess neither. You can do unbalanced scheduling for basketball, etc., but not football.

Reaction Score
Time for Herbst to get on the phone and get UConn in there.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Time for Herbst to get on the phone and get UConn in there.
It's not like she hasn't been trying. See all the "beg harder" threads in the Realignment Board. Won't bother me from a mbball perspective but the ramifications for football and other sports is very harmful.

Reaction Score
This is not good for us. Takes our leverage for being the second school away. Possibly the football schools don't want more or they think they are better than they are?

Reaction Score
Good time to read the Conference Realignment board. The suggestion over there is that the 16th school would be non-football.

Reaction Score
I'm going to call BS on a 16th non-football school. The ultimate goal is to have ND fully in as an ACC member. Adding a 16th without football does nothing for the ACC, unless that school is a Villanova team that may also upgrade.

The ACC may want to give PSU a call at this point as well.

Reaction Score
I can't believe the ACC caved and let ND join without football. If they joined with football the rumor was that UConn would be added also. Taking ND without football kills that idea. UConn needs to get out of the Big East.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
This kills UConn's chances of getting out of the Big East.

I have never been so disappointed as a sports fan. I feel like puking.

History will write that UConn lost the most as a result of conference realignment. No other school has been more marginalized, or made more irrelevant compared to where they stood just a few short years ago. To be an alum and die hard fan of that school is almost too much to bear.

I better never run into any ESPN executives in my travels. Considering their proximity, it's probably likely. I cannot guarantee rational behavior will prevail.

Reaction Score
Rob Dauster, John Infante, Pete Thamel speculating GTown as the 16th team on twitter. Woof

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Does the fact that ND has apparently agreed to play five games per season against ACC teams help our chances at all?

Reaction Score
Wow i guess the acc really wanted to with the 'new' big east. This isn't really good deal for them since ND as an independent is kind of a non-win they could have had that pretty much any time they wanted.

Reaction Score
This kills UConn's chances of getting out of the Big East.

I have never been so disappointed as a sports fan. I feel like puking.

History will write that UConn lost the most as a result of conference realignment. No other school has been more marginalized, or made more irrelevant compared to where they stood just a few short years ago. To be an alum and die hard fan of that school is almost too much to bear.

I better never run into any ESPN executives in my travels. Considering their proximity, it's probably likely. I cannot guarantee rational behavior will prevail.
+100

caw

Reaction Score
I understand Cuse and even Pitt but ND makes no sense without football.

The ACC now has four options:

1. Stay put - honestly may make the most sense
  2. Add a football school in the hopes ND joins in football - unless this is a verbal agreement, this makes no sense. Likely still pissing off FSU and Clemson, and making the schedule unbalanced.
  3. Add a non-football school, knowing ND won't ever join - makes even less sense to allow two basketball only schools to have 1/8th of the voting power. Puts the ACC in the same place the BE is in now (to a degree).
  4. This is more of a question but is it at all possible the ACC takes a teams non-football sports and leaves their football in the conference it is in? This would allow the ACC to balance its non-football sports while leaving the door open for the new team to join in football when ND does? I have no idea if this is possible at all.

Reaction Score
I understand Cuse and even Pitt but ND makes no sense without football.

The ACC now has four options:

1. Stay put - honestly may make the most sense
  2. Add a football school in the hopes ND joins in football - unless this is a verbal agreement, this makes no sense. Likely still pissing off FSU and Clemson, and making the schedule unbalanced.
  3. Add a non-football school, knowing ND won't ever join - makes even less sense to allow two basketball only schools to have 1/8th of the voting power. Puts the ACC in the same place the BE is in now (to a degree).
  4. This is more of a question but is it at all possible the ACC takes a teams non-football sports and leaves their football in the conference it is in? This would allow the ACC to balance its non-football sports while leaving the door open for the new team to join in football when ND does? I have no idea if this is possible at all.

I, like you, believe #1 is the best move for the league. I hadn't even considered #4, but I think such a move is highly unlikely. What other conference would even allow that? UConn couldn't leave football in the BE and take everything else to the B10. Would make little sense even though the BE has added SD St. under similar provisions. I just think at that point the BE falls apart. No ND, no UConn, Louisville to B12 potentially. Why bother? No big contract either.

What I don't understand is this: what does the ACC gain by adding Georgetown? I don't understand that at all.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I would look at Nova or St Johns for number 16 (markets and olympic sports, especially Nova plays lacrosse I believe). Getting St. John's with its alternate home court being MSG would symbolic of something or other.

Reaction Score
We should pay the Big Ten as much $ as we can come up with and beg

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
With BC's athletic director retiring at the end of this month, it is still a possibility for UConn to go the ACC. DeFillippo was the only blockade that prevented UConn from getting an invite to the ACC during the last round of conference realignment. I wouldn't be surprised if Susan Herbst pushes hard ACC now.

But as others have said, the Big East is basically dead. I feel bad for Georgetown, Seton Hall, St Johns, Villanova because their football programs (or lack thereof) has sent them to the chopper. But in reality the "new" ACC is basically the "old" Big East minus GT, SJ, Nova, and Hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom