Notre Dame is stealing money | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame is stealing money

Reaction Score
Falling back on the transitive property of football scores to decide who gets selected. I love it.
It’s almost like saying that since ND lost by a lot of points, they didn’t deserve to be in the playoff. I love it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Again. #2 got pasted by #3. They should have been ranked lower than #4.

Reaction Score
Again. #2 got pasted by #3. They should have been ranked lower than #4.

maybe, but they weren’t. a lot of people thought they should have been ranked lower than #3. Seems like a big advantage when you only play 6 games.

Reaction Score
yes, but the question asked was how ND got into the playoff. The answer is pretty simple. They beat the #1 team in the country. No other team could make that claim. It’s easy to justify picking a team for the playoff when only one team in the country beat a team ranked #1.
LOL. That's like winning a car race because the other car had a flat tire. t doesn't make you good. Wake up.

Reaction Score
If not for women's basketball ND wouldn't have championships in anything in the past 20 or 30 years, right?
They're still coasting on their reputation from 50 years ago in football, enhanced by a couple of upsets in mens basketball in the 70's, but their grads are loyal and their nickname draws in a lot of people of the same nationality, so they have a national presence that is great for generating revenue but undeserved based on their performance.
Just look at football. Blown out by Alabama in their last two playoff opportunities.

Husky25

Reaction Score
maybe, but they weren’t. a lot of people thought they should have been ranked lower than #3. Seems like a big advantage when you only play 6 games.
Don't make it out as if the rankings are objective. They weren't ranked lower because of the Committee's human bias. I've addressed OSU elsewhere. They are not relevant to this thread.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn going to the Fiesta, in a way, may not have been that good of a thing.

It heightened expectations.

The collective fan memory is.."We went to the Fiesta Bowl"

And that rose colored memory still lingers.

UConn was a 8 win, three way tied Big East Co-Champion (with WVU and Pitt).....The Big East also had three
co-champions in 2012 and four co-champs in 2013. No clear dominant team in those years.
Lol, and this observation is relevant to thread about Notre Dame place in the P5 world how exactly? Lol, seriously why not just talk about the topic instead of posting irrelevant passive shots at Connecticut? Is that your act on the many other boards you post on, or are we just that special to you?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL. That's like winning a car race because the other car had a flat tire. t doesn't make you good. Wake up.
Or like saying you were undefeated, and you got the best win, so you get to be in the playoff.

Reaction Score
Don't make it out as if the rankings are objective. They weren't ranked lower because of the Committee's human bias. I've addressed OSU elsewhere. They are not relevant to this thread.

of course it’s not because it ruins the premise that ND didn’t belong.

Husky25

Reaction Score
of course it’s not because it ruins the premise that ND didn’t belong.
OSU is not relevant because they are not relevant to a thread about ND.

You also continue to gloss over the context of ND needing OT to beat a depleted Clemson team, who (at full strength) torched ND six weeks later. The ACCCG should have been treated as a defacto play in. Loser should have been eliminated. Simple as that.

You may have missed it, but I said in my first post in this thread that I don't exactly blame Notre Dame. Their arrangement with the P5 is not unilateral. The P5 agreed long ago to give them preferential treatment. ND would be foolish not to accept it, but ND fans are blind not to see it.

Bring back the computer models.

Reaction Score
Or like saying you were undefeated, and you got the best win, so you get to be in the playoff.
You were not undefeated. You got you beat on like a rented mule in the the ACC playoff. And wet your pants in the semis. Humbled. Humiliated. Again.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame beat the #1 team in the country. A&M did not. That’s probably why Notre Dame got picked.
Looks to me like ACC boys were a bit overrated with how Clemson and ND were no shows in the playoffs. "Special" pickers put them in, ACC was bad. Here are Massey ratings of conferences (put multi part conferences separate) with ratings:
Sec West .794
Big Ten East .765
Big Ten West .756
Big 12 .752
Sec East .753
PAC 12 North .708
PAC 12 South .704
ACC Atlantic .683
ACC Coastal .675 Doesn't include ND, would raise to about .700
AAC .638

Seems like Clemson and ND were in conferences/sections closer to AAC than just about anyone not the PAC 12. Not sure this rating suggest two teams from ACC would be in top 4, and the play seems to confirm that. The games were less competitive than the scores suggest, both winners just wanted to finish out the games after getting big leads.

Clemson had the 54th best SOS and ND 46th, that's after the playoff loses.

Reaction Score
In fairness to ND

they beat the 1, the only team in CFB who can say that

A&M resume no better

Bama is rolling over everybody

again, once u got past top 3, it was a crapshoot - A&M, Oklahoma, cincy, even Florida

yes, they continually show up to the prom wearing a powder blue tux from the 70s, but they had a good team this year. Hard to move #2 seed down 3 spots for losing to Clemson

Reaction Score
OSU is not relevant because they are not relevant to a thread about ND.

You also continue to gloss over the context of ND needing OT to beat a depleted Clemson team, who (at full strength) torched ND six weeks later. The ACCCG should have been treated as a defacto play in. Loser should have been eliminated. Simple as that.

You may have missed it, but I said in my first post in this thread that I don't exactly blame Notre Dame. Their arrangement with the P5 is not unilateral. The P5 agreed long ago to give them preferential treatment. ND would be foolish not to accept it, but ND fans are blind not to see it.

Bring back the computer models.

Sorry, this thread seemed to be about whether a team deserved to be in the playoff. If so, OSU is definitely relevant By only playing six games. As to Clemson being depleted, interesting that no one seemed to mention that ND was down two offensive linemen and one defensive linemen. Certainly depleted. Of course there would likely be many fewer injuries if you only played six games. This probably explains Dabo Sweeneys comments on Ohio State.

Reaction Score
Looks to me like ACC boys were a bit overrated with how Clemson and ND were no shows in the playoffs. "Special" pickers put them in, ACC was bad. Here are Massey ratings of conferences (put multi part conferences separate) with ratings:
Sec West .794
Big Ten East .765
Big Ten West .756
Big 12 .752
Sec East .753
PAC 12 North .708
PAC 12 South .704
ACC Atlantic .683
ACC Coastal .675 Doesn't include ND, would raise to about .700
AAC .638

Seems like Clemson and ND were in conferences/sections closer to AAC than just about anyone not the PAC 12. Not sure this rating suggest two teams from ACC would be in top 4, and the play seems to confirm that. The games were less competitive than the scores suggest, both winners just wanted to finish out the games after getting big leads.

Clemson had the 54th best SOS and ND 46th, that's after the playoff loses.
Thank you. That’s why ND doesn’t want to be in a conference. We get lumped in with horrible teams, and have to deal with people pointing out how miserable some of the teams in the conference are. So as you point out, even though we raise the performance of the entire conference, we get painted with a brush that includes all the worst teams. A primary reason why independence is the best route.

Reaction Score
Lol, and this observation is relevant to thread about Notre Dame place in the P5 world how exactly? Lol, seriously why not just talk about the topic instead of posting irrelevant passive shots at Connecticut? Is that your act on the many other boards you post on, or are we just that special to you?
LOL...I read the thread...previous poster said...

If Tulsa had beaten Cincy, it would've been Coastal Carolina. Dump on that idea if you want, it's quite similar to when UConn got the Fiesta Bowl spot.

My post immediately followed his thought on Uconn and the Fiesta..

Husky25

Reaction Score
Sorry, this thread seemed to be about whether a team deserved to be in the playoff. If so, OSU is definitely relevant By only playing six games. As to Clemson being depleted, interesting that no one seemed to mention that ND was down two offensive linemen and one defensive linemen. Certainly depleted. Of course there would likely be many fewer injuries if you only played six games. This probably explains Dabo Sweeneys comments on Ohio State.
Not much ambiguity in, "ND is Stealing Money." As I said, OSU is addressed elsewhere.

Where any of ND's linemen arguably the best player in college football at the most important position in the sport?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
LOL...I read the thread...previous poster said...

If Tulsa had beaten Cincy, it would've been Coastal Carolina. Dump on that idea if you want, it's quite similar to when UConn got the Fiesta Bowl spot.

My post immediately followed his thought on Uconn and the Fiesta..
Fair enough. Use the reply the button and it will quote the posts you are referring to.
(But it still is off topic, right.)

Reaction Score
I don't hold the poster that I responded to as being "off topic"...threads are like a group of guys talking at a bar...conversations will wander all over.

Sometimes a "gatekeeper" personality will remind folks to stay, by God, on the thread topic...And I am OK with that..it happens in a bar as well.

But it also doesn't bother me that "Thatguyed" broached the topic and I responded.

Reaction Score
Not much ambiguity in, "ND is Stealing Money." As I said, OSU is addressed elsewhere.

Where any of ND's linemen arguably the best player in college football at the most important position in the sport?

Notre dames offense was built around its running attack and its ability to protect Book. It’s interesting that you don’t see the importance of the offensive line. Interesting, but not surprising.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Notre dames offense was built around its running attack and its ability to protect Book. It’s interesting that you don’t see the importance of the offensive line. Interesting, but not surprising.
Not what I said, but sweet pivot.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I thought you said that “Notre Dame needed overtime to defeat a depleted Clemson team”.

That sounds like a statement of fact...The Irish did need OT to defeat Clemson who was playing with a true freshman stand in quarterback.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Sorry, I thought you said that “Notre Dame needed overtime to defeat a depleted Clemson team”.
(Don't make me "Like" one of @billybud 's posts. ;) to you, Billy).

Trevor Lawrence is arguably the best player in college football at the game's most important position. Evidently there were other defensive players out for Clemson as well. So basically, the delta between ND's starting front five and their backups is smaller than 1) Lawrence and his back up, plus; 2) Clemson's defensive front and their back ups over the two games.

Was anyone hurt for the ACCCG? According to OneFootdown (ND's SBnation site) the starting 5 was Eichenberg, Banks, Correll, Kraemer, and Hainsey (Take it for what it's worth, but I've seen only one consensus 1st round ND player, and he does not play on the senior laden OL.).

So at full strength:

CLEMSON'S DEFENSE
Clemson's depleted defense allowed Notre Dame to pile up 518 yards in the previous meeting, but limited the Fighting Irish (10-1) to 263 yards Saturday and sacked quarterback Ian Book six times. Book spent most of the game under duress, regularly flushed from the pocket.

Excluding sacks, which are counted as negative rushing yards, ND compiled 85 yards on the ground in the ACCCG.

Reaction Score
That sounds like a statement of fact...The Irish did need OT to defeat Clemson who was playing with a true freshman stand in quarterback.

yes It was a statement of fact just like my statement about ND being down two offensive linemen when Clemson beat us. Take a look at the performance of Clemson‘s second team QB. Did it really look like it hurt them. Compare that to ND’s ability to open holes and protect Book with a depleted line. I think losing the line had a bigger impact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom