Notre Dame headed to B1G for Hockey | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame headed to B1G for Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Picked Michigan. I went to BU.

Good for you, Boston U is my favorite Hockey East program. I consider our rivalry with you all (Minnesota alum, also a Wisconsin alum - grad school - but born and raised in Sota) the most valuable out east - not BC. I was a huge Jake Parker fan.

BC reminds me too much of ND, albeit more successful the past decade. Similar swagger. God I remember, vividly, York at Bowling Green.

It's funny, unlike Mass where many of the rivalries are urbanized, though I'm sure you consider games outside Mass big as well - our chief rivals are still not in state so much, besides Duluth. Our in -state rivalries are all over the state in more rural location. Our biggest rivals remain ND and Wisconsin because so many Minnesota preps decorate their rosters - Denver as well. It's so hard to transition your loyalty to say high school kids once they head to UND or Wiksy. If you've yet to see a ND and Minnesota game, you're in for a treat - very intense like BU-BC.

Btw, I can't buy Michigan despite having a great record against UND - their goaltending is suspect - & they have too many lapses during a game, which of course turns into goals for their opponents. UND should win comfortably.

PS Don't mind my WCHA nostalgia, but it's been a hard pillow to swallow. I've been attending or watching Minnesota games since the mid 70s, so I absolutely remember Michigan and even Notre Dame in the WCHA. In fact, Notre Dame v. Minnesota was my first attending WCHA series with Herb Brooks as coach. I remember Michigan's discontent when their hand was forced to lead the CCHA. But, college hockey had to grow, so long term, perhaps the BIG is good for sport's development. But it's not the same expansion as the CCHA, the latter being more important when comparing the eras. It's a little too money grabbing for me.

Reaction Score
The word is that it was the Big Ten who approached ND and changed its "all or nothing" stance.

I'm very (VERY) late to this conversation but I believe this is true. Sorry for dredging this old thread up, but I was thinking about it last night and had not commented.

Notre Dame approached the Big Ten about joining for hockey when the league formed a few years ago, so this wasn't out of the blue. They were interested from the start. Back then, though, the Big Ten was still adamant about all-or-nothing and declined Notre Dame's overtures.

FWIW, Notre Dame also offered the Big Ten a similar arrangement to that of the ACC. The Big Ten politely declined. Most near the Big Ten felt Notre Dame would never have gone to the ACC if it were willing to offer the same deal.

Reaction Score
I'm very (VERY) late to this conversation but I believe this is true. Sorry for dredging this old thread up, but I was thinking about it last night and had not commented.

Notre Dame approached the Big Ten about joining for hockey when the league formed a few years ago, so this wasn't out of the blue. They were interested from the start. Back then, though, the Big Ten was still adamant about all-or-nothing and declined Notre Dame's overtures.

FWIW, Notre Dame also offered the Big Ten a similar arrangement to that of the ACC. The Big Ten politely declined. Most near the Big Ten felt Notre Dame would never have gone to the ACC if it were willing to offer the same deal.
At this point, makes no difference to UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro
Top Bottom